Reviews for A Captain And A Madman
G.M.Rivers chapter 23 . 7/10
Wow. Absolutely wonderful. This story managed to seamlessly weave the characters and stories we know and love into a tapestry of carefully intermingled events that gave way to a masterpiece of a story. The cause-and-effect was really well done, as well as the character motivations and the changes in the doctor's mindset. Beautiful.
Imipak chapter 23 . 6/23
Great story, there are some typos to clean up in most chapters and those do get distracting occasionally, but that doesn't diminish a very good reconciliation between universes.
Chemm256 chapter 23 . 5/17
This is the best doctor/star trek crossover i've read!
Difdi chapter 17 . 5/2
Warrants for his arrest? I'd bet that if any of those warrants were served and he was taken into Federation custody, he'd 'mysteriously' escape almost immediately and never be seen or heard from again...except by the black ops Federation scientists of whatever lab he'd be locked away in. And it'd probably be a tossup whether the lab is even in the century he was captured in.

Though I am kinda curious, what those warrants claim he did - after all, a warrant for escaping from an illegal detention that violated the Federation Charter probably wouldn't generate much cooperation for most Starfleet officers. But at the same time, if they are for too severe a crime, there's a strong possibility of someone using a phaser set on disintegrate to 'apprehend' him.
Difdi chapter 14 . 5/1
Maybe I read too much sci-fi and comic books, but the Guardian made perfect sense to me. The Doctor's problem, I think, is that he's so sure he knows the nature of reality, that he can't realize that he thinks he knows things that he doesn't actually know.
Difdi chapter 11 . 5/1
Given how fixated future-Starfleet is on 'preserving' the integrity of the past, the fact that the Doctor was in his own present, no time travel involved, when he saved that colony would mean that when future-Starfleet bombed the colony and murdered all 12,000 colonists, they committed 12,000 counts of premeditated murder, using time travel to do it.

A society like that cannot help having laws against altering history and using time travel to commit murder, to say nothing of the more mundane crime murder itself represents. Unless they're a future Terran Empire where the only law is that might makes right, anyway.
Difdi chapter 4 . 5/1
You have a technical error in this chapter - standard (isolinear) Federation computer systems are optical, not electronic, and therefore would be unaffected by an EMP. Likewise, unless the colony uses radically outdated systems, it would also be unaffected by an EMP.
Difdi chapter 1 . 5/1
Picard is an 18th century naval buff - he would know the difference between flotsam and jetsam, and a police box being yoinked off Earth and into deep space by an unknown temporal event would classify it as flotsam. Jetsam is random debris that was accidentally or deliberately jettisoned (the similarity in the jet portion of the word is not a coincidence) from a ship. Flotsam is pretty much everything else found adrift.
Basil Allegri chapter 22 . 4/15
The Doctor's moment of invading the Collective was worthy of a Moffat episode probably (very dramatic, clever, and a little on the outrageous side). It was fun to see the Doctor interact with many of the different Trek characters (like the Doctor, for instance). I think I enjoyed your Picard POV moments the best.
Basil Allegri chapter 1 . 4/13
Okay, I already know this is going to be brilliant, just by the way you write the Doctor's monologues.
VigdisVale chapter 1 . 3/26
Oops... I accidentally hit enter before finishing... SO:
The alternate reality thing is seldom writtenusually, it's just portrayed as the regular Doctor Who Universe, which is why I have trouble with suspension of disbelief.

YOU, on the other hand, have "done it rightIMHO)... AND given me an amazing, believable, new headcanon for blending the two that WORKS! I'm so happy! So, thank you again! Much love!
VigdisVale chapter 1 . 3/26
Thank you so much! I've read several ST/DW crossovers, but I've always had to consciously suspend disbelief, because the 2 universes are basically incompatible (just as much as Buffy and Anita Blake are). And, for some reason, Star Trek being an alternate reality is seldom THIS
Arkarian23 chapter 23 . 3/23
Absolutely fantastic. Perfect blending of the two universes together. Characterisation of the both the Doctor and other characters was on point and the storyline itself could easily git into the wider Whovian universe.
R-dude chapter 23 . 3/19
So, my exposure to Star Trek isn't the most extensive, and the 11th Doctor not even my favorite.

Some few bits were boring; some others I had to outright skip. The first two thirds of the Borg arc was a slog to go through.

Still, this is a great story. A textbook example of a great crossover, incoprorating and meshing both verses with respect and creativity.

It's fundamentally good writing; regardless of fandom. Introduction, escalation, resolution and payoff, executed almost perfectly (excluding the skippable bits mentioned before).

Even if the subject matter itself isn't my usual cup of tea, the author absolutely drew me in. The payoff -the twist at the end- a perfect climax but not the only interesting part as to make the rest of the story forgettable.
Ambaire chapter 2 . 1/17
The last few sentences are hilarious. Love it so far.