Reviews for A Contrast of Past and Future
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 7/6/2005
Lovely exploration of Tomoe's changing feelings and relationship with Kenshin. I think her symbolizing the old era is a good one, especially when in contrast with Kaoru who couldn't be more a part of a new era even if she represents more a modern era than the Meiji. Some expressions particularly struck me as poignant or perceptive. I have listed some and marked the words that really struck me:

•"I am an assassin," he told you with AN HONEST BELIEF OF HIS OWN CORRUPTION..."

•“…he must look past himself and see that THE WORLD WAS COMPOSED OF PEOPLE AND NOT JUST DREAMS, SWEET AS THEY MAY BE. You completed his scar so he will always remember that THE COST OF HIS DREAMS AND HIS EMPIRE OF PEACE WAS BUILT ON THE BLOOD AND SWEAT AND TEARS OF BOTH THE CRIMINALS AND THE INNOCENTS. You wanted to give him one last reminder of yourself, of THE ERA HE HAD NEVER REALIZED THAT HE HAD LOVED UNTIL HE HELPED DESTROY IT….”

Very well done.
hotaru4 chapter 1 . 3/6/2003
Apologies!So you've read dementedcris-hell-more than read her work that is! You're a great writer, with very good insights. I love angst, though I noticed that it's not popular here in -I mean, readers like the humor stuff which I kinda appreciate, but not half as much as angst and drama.

I'm embarrassed. My fics are not as angsty. Don't even read them. They'll bore you to death.

Keep up the good work. Please write more RRK. I want to see some A/U with a lot of angst though!
Sionga chapter 1 . 11/2/2002
Just lovely. I loved how you portrayed Tomoe.
Firefury Amahira chapter 1 . 8/26/2002
Wow, very nice piece comparing Tomoe to the old era and stuff. Very well done, and I pretty much have to agree with you about Tomoe and Kaoru. (Though I like how a friend put it- Tomoe pushed Kenshin over the edge, but Kaoru jumped in after him p)
dementedchris chapter 1 . 8/26/2002
Love her or leave her, I think you captured Tomoe's thoughts and emotions beautifully with this piece. Very moving... and you know that I'm not a big Tomoe fan (don't get me wrong, I still like her though)! You went through each part of her relationship with Kenshin - from their meeting to falling in love to their inevitable parting - I thought everything was meticulously woven together.
mae7 chapter 1 . 8/26/2002
Quite a powerful little piece of writing. Really enjoyed reading it. Very well done. Thanks for sharing.
Calger chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
A very nice vignette, I liked this look into Tomoe's feelings and motivations. Your writing is also nice and clear, there are some minor little word issues (mostly between using "bear" or "bare") but these can easily be fixed with another proofread. I must say that I'm not a Tomoe fan, I really dislike her actually, but she had a vital role in shaping the Kenshin we know and love (and love to whack with a bokken occassionally ;) and I have to respect that. Tomoe was what Kenshin needed at that time in his life; Kaoru is for a different Kenshin, one's who's grown up a lot and who has different emotional needs than the boy he was before. And I think he loves both equally for that very reason. That's my take on it anyway; long live K&K!
anna chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
awesome vignette! that's definetly one way to think about tomoe's and kaoru's love for kenshin. keep up the good work. look forward to reading more of your stories. :-)
Jason M. Lee chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
real sweet! just like the way i'd envision: Tomoe is of the Edo era while Kaoru is of the Meiji era, one of the past and the other future. Kenshin transcend time easily, ne?
Zialial chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
This is a very beautiful and masterfully written fic. I don't believe I saw any errors in the first reading and I haven't seen anyone else portray Kenshin, Kaoru and Tomoe quite like this. Maybe you should expound upon Kenshin and Kaoru's relationship in a differnt chapter or fic (A KxK biased-fan but not a Tomoe hater -). Or you could finish your SessxKag fanfic, The Kimono She Wore (o_O;). I make it a habit to follow your fanfics since they tend to be realistic and not OOC. Please keep on writing, I eagerly await your next fanfic!