Reviews for The final frontier
I-Can-Spell-Confusion-With-A-K chapter 5 . 8/6/2014
I know it's been a year since you updated so it's probably not something you're still working on but I just wanted to let you know I love this story and I'm dying to know what happens next! I had read the first chapter when you first posted it and then just recently I was remembering it and trying to figure out what it was called, I just found it again today. It stuck in my mind because I loved your OC, she wasn't the typical OC in a lot of Kirk/OC stories where they are confident, and super tough and never make any mistakes. I liked that she was socially awkward! So I hope you will update even though I understand if you don't.
Poemwriter98 chapter 5 . 10/30/2013
I love this! This is a really great idea for a story, and it's very well written!
Adrillian1497 chapter 5 . 10/6/2013
Haha! I can't wait to read their conversation! I love it!
SchadenFreude95 chapter 5 . 8/15/2013
You seem to have come off on a good start with this story. I do like it, but you should re-read it a couple of times before posting as there are some grammatical mistakes here and there.
Your OC is good too. I like the way you made her really shy and awkward. Most people just say that their character is so 'awkward' but they really aren't at all, but you managed to actually uphold the promise of the claimed awkwardness.

Can't wait to read more :)
jaaaaawwwnnn chapter 5 . 8/12/2013
I'm really looking forward to the next chapter. The possibilities of a great showdown are endless. .
theextraordinarilyroundbanana chapter 5 . 8/12/2013
This story is incredible so far! I can't wait to see the plot line and characters develop! I look forward to an update, and hopefully that happens soon!
Guss Who chapter 3 . 7/18/2013
Carry On This Got Me Interested
Nightingale98 chapter 3 . 6/12/2013
I really like this story. Sam is a realistic character who your readers can relate to, and I think that by not mentioning any of her skills to level out her shy nature reflects her own lack of self-confidence and the fact she's been thrown into the situation, even of that wasn't your intention. Of course, she'll have to start on her duties soon and I hope that's when we'll see what Sam's made of. I also like what we've seen of Meredith, she doesn't seem to be the complete opposite of Sam but they're not exactly alike either. As others have mentioned you just need to re-read you're work to correct grammar, but I appreciate that re-reading can be the hardest part for some writers who don't like reading their own work, as strange as it may sound. Anyway, I hope you update soon and I will continue to review. :)
Orquwen chapter 3 . 6/4/2013
I really like this :D
I hope you continue it!
anitnut chapter 3 . 6/2/2013
I think you have a good start to your story. So far I like Sam. I think I'll have more to review once I see a little bit more Jim Kirk and their interactions. But so far, its a fair start. Keep up the good work.
Theoria chapter 3 . 6/2/2013
I think the potential for this story is great! Your main character interested me because of her shyness/awkwardness, but on the flip side, I would love to see that balanced out with some good qualities of her character (i.e. her skill at her job or maybe her ability to think through problems, etc.), especially now she's on the Enterprise and has a chance to shine. You've shown us the imperfection of your protagonist, now give us a reason to root for her. ;)

As far as everything else goes, I concur with some of the statements below concerning the attitude of that particular ship member... however I'm willing to accept the presence of a sour individual on the bridge. I would merely advise you to word her response differently to make it sound more official.

Overall great story! I'm excited to see where this goes so keep on writing and I'll review your next chapter! :)
Missilence chapter 3 . 6/1/2013
Hey there! Decided that this looked intriguing. I must say, it has potential. It's good, but not yet great. Your OFC is definitely not perfect, which is a great start. She's relatable, too. I also like Meredith, from the little I've seen of her. But I have a few tips, too. Not that I'm some sort of writing expert (not even close), but I think I can at least try and help you at least a little.
Firstly, I suggest longer chapters. Personally, I try to aim in the 4,000 word range per chapter. Sometimes it's less, sometimes it's more, but I think a little more length would be good for the story. Choose a day or two a week to update and write a little (or a lot) every day leading up to that(those) day(s).
Secondly, some of the grammar is off. Nothing too glaringly obvious and nothing a little revising won't help, but I noticed that some of the dialogue was missing ending punctuation and such.
Thirdly, everything seems too... informal on the ship. I understand it's the Enterprise and they are as informal as they can get away with (and then some), but an experienced ranking officer wouldn't just dismiss someone for no reason. Antagonistic ranking officers do their job well, even if they don't like people serving under them.
That's it for now! Remember, all this advice is just advice and you can totally choose to ignore it if you wish. It's just that I've had experience with strangers giving me helpful tips and I feel like my writing ability grew as a result, so hopefully I'm doing the same thing here. Shoot me a PM if you want any additional help! Looking forward to your next installment.
Avai
I-Can-Spell-Confusion-With-A-K chapter 3 . 6/1/2013
I'm really enjoying this story so far. My favorite thing about it is the way that Sam feels like a real person. I like the way you have taken time to set up her personality and inner thoughts before throwing her right into heavy plot or too many interactions with canon characters. Of course I am looking forward to more of those as well...particularly a certain handsome captain! I just am always happy to find a fic where an original character is actually developed independently. I can't wait to see where this goes so please update soon! :)
Illena chapter 3 . 6/1/2013
Not a very professional way of running /staffing a starship
Is Sam in a dream? 'Coz quasi military organisations don't tell new staff to go and bother someone else.

I liked the storyline, but you ar going to have to sharpen up some to avoid being bland, and unbelievable. Will still follow to see how i writing progresses.
theextraordinarilyroundbanana chapter 3 . 6/1/2013
This is a wonderful story! :)