Reviews for Once Upon a Time
MieraK1 chapter 1 . 2/14
JellyBeanBo chapter 1 . 3/2/2014
There is no plot amidst; intangible at the least. But this was beautifully written.
333evangeline chapter 1 . 7/1/2013
I just-
I'm sorry, I don't think I have the right praises to give you.
I just want to say thank you, these stories are the ones that made me want to write fanfics in the first place. :']
neverperfect97 chapter 1 . 6/15/2013
i still don't exactly understand th story, or at least th 'catchphrase', but it still can invoke some emotion in me. in that, i find th story good. a little short though. some backstory would be nice, but i would think you wouldn't have time. thanks anw for writing this:) as always its a pleasure to read your stories.
Orbisnite chapter 1 . 6/11/2013
I always think that your writing is amazing. :)
This is obviously a great work.
What is haori, though? Sorry for my stupidity.

I love how your writing isn't pretentious. Lots of people on the GA fandom now are trying to be smart-sounding and whatnot, but they're really not that genuine. At least this is different. :))
MiladyQueenMab chapter 1 . 6/6/2013
Hi there,

I always find something ingenious in your Stories List to read on a late Thursday evening, whether it be an old story that I dig up to re-read again and again, or a new story like this one that delights just as cleverly as all of the others.

I love the fact that you zoomed in on the brother-sister relationship between Natsume and Aoi. Theirs is a story that currently receives less than half the recognition that I feel it deserves, so I'm glad that someone has realized their potential. Further, I'm glad that it was particularly you who made their relationship come to life. You have a great grasp of the characters in GA, and also of the English language, so I had no doubt in my mind that you would exceed far beyond that of my expectations.

Both Aoi and Natsume were characterized perfectly in this story, in part because thematically you chose to focus on the notion of childhood and hope. I found your use of circularity so heart-warming- the fact that Aoi returned the question that Natsume had been asking her all along- and it was particularly effective because it tied the piece together as a whole. I was so impressed by the way you barely got them to converse, and yet managed to develop their characters and their relationships by simply building upon what had already been painted as background by the manga. This, I feel, is what real Fanfiction is about.

I loved how there was a sense of ambiguity regarding whether they would actually have a happy ending, but I was even more intrigued by the notion that deep in their hearts there rested a happy ending that- it seems- they themselves would have to work to construct. I feel like that connotes a sense of taking control of one's own destiny- that if one is able to walk down the symbolic aisle without looking back and believes that the other side holds only a joyous future, then nothing could stop one from obtaining that happy ending. The proverbial pen that writes the story of our lives is in our hands, so to speak. That was especially thought-provoking and profound, in my opinion.

I immensely enjoyed this story, as I do all of your other stories. Your inventive masterpieces never fail to inspire me. In particular, I really loved reading the portion in italics which explained in fairy-tale form Aoi's real-life situation. Generally, with fairy-tales, one can kind of guess at the ending and the course of the story- because it follows a rather well-known, formulaic or predictable plot- and in this case, it worked seamlessly, because you incorporated Aoi's story (with which we as readers are already familiar) in this kind of format. In so doing, you effectively evoked the hopefulness of the fairy-tales despite the bitter background from which this hope was rooted.

I'm sure I am getting very irksome with my laudatory remarks about your writing, especially since I never let you forget it, so I'll just keep this review brief. Thank you so much for sharing with us this beautiful piece- even if it was short, I felt like it got its message across effectively, and I myself felt drawn to the relationship between Natsume and Aoi. To sum up, I just thought I would share this little quote by Neil Gaiman that I thought suited your story. :-)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

It's a shame that this fandom is going to be losing you, because your talent is invaluable to the archives. You not only provide readers with something to look forward to, but also provide writers with the inspiration to keep producing high quality work. Even so, I know you will do amazingly in whatever you choose to pursue, because you are a naturally gifted human being, and the world would surely be able to recognize that.

Alyssum chapter 1 . 6/3/2013
asdfghjkl; A masterpiece as always. Sometimes I feel bad for not having concrit for you, but everytime I finish reading an update/upload I can't do anything but flail!
Lillianne Matake chapter 1 . 6/3/2013
Your story are so beautiful... there are a lot of words that could describe this story... but the tinsy bit of everything you have put into this story could be only called beautiful by me.. Hope you would continue writing :)
riaanaa chapter 1 . 6/3/2013
Amazing..just amazing.:)
Autumn Win-Dow chapter 1 . 6/2/2013
...This one's just snagged the spot of 'favourite fic of the day'. It was such a sweet tale of brother and sister, and the whole idea of it was wonderful. I really like how you set the wedding at a Shinto temple rather than a church, since Japanese culture should be appreciated more in anime FFn archives. :D "...about his bride causing a small ruckus with the flowers, and the maid of honor shooting the daylights out of his best man..." That was an awesome quote. I just... I just love it. Aha.

You wrote this story really well, and your scene descriptions and Natsume's fairy tale were very engaging. I really enjoyed reading all of your fics on this cold day. :D
Noly Hotoke chapter 1 . 6/1/2013
This is such a wonderful story to read. Very inspiring and adorable. Especially showing the caring part of Natsume. And considering, only few stories actually revolve around the two siblings, the magnificence of it, is definitely brilliant. I love the portrayal of Natsume, being such a perfect brother to Aoi.

BEAUTIFUL, I couldn't say more.

lyranne chapter 1 . 6/1/2013
this is so beautiful i cried.
IrisCherieHathaway chapter 1 . 6/1/2013
Awww so beautiful and so meaningful!
I love it :)
Devilish Dream chapter 1 . 6/1/2013
This is beautiful, especially the way you have shown us the relationship the sibling share and the way they hold each others end in any point of their life.
I love the name of this particular story and also there are very few of Natsume Aoi sibling story..
Just wonderful