Reviews for Illuminated
Flareose - Knifepoint Entry chapter 1 . 4/23
That... Was amazing...

Jelly and jam time.
Juliedoo chapter 1 . 12/29/2013
God, this was well written - the imagery and the metaphors were breathtaking, and the characterization was realistic and sympathetic. And Karin and Kimimaro? Like, the sexiest crack pairing ever. n_n
Random Person chapter 1 . 10/9/2013
Awe, this was lovely :D I never thought of this pairing before but you made it work so well. Thank you once again for such a b-a fic _v
Quiglo chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
Great story as per usual, and a wonderful length too.
The Jabberjay's Nest chapter 1 . 6/27/2013
This is the most beautiful fanfiction I have ever read.
kiki8o chapter 1 . 6/13/2013
that was so good, I love authors that make original stories and I can asure you a read this at 3 am I couldnt sleep till i finished
but karin sould have gone wiht kimimaro and not with sasuke

well you should write more like this
Billfromaccounting chapter 1 . 6/9/2013
I was touched and I loved it. . . I truly did. Great work.
the plastic sturgeon chapter 1 . 6/9/2013
I can't express how pleased I am to find an author like you. Just. . .wow. Consider yourself subscribed. You've got a new follower.
Panda chapter 1 . 6/8/2013
Wonderful!
LordMordor chapter 1 . 6/7/2013
Holy epic-one-shot Batman!

This, I don't even know where to start. This is just so masterfully done I barely have words. I suppose amazing would be appropriate though. I was wondering when you might post something like this considering how into Kimimaro you are, but this is far beyond what I ever expected. Just a slight twist to the canon, and you deliver this incredible tale about finding meaning and purpose in life, living for the past vs the future, and moving on.

As far as characterization is concerned you have absolutely everyone involved in this story completely nailed. You have taken everything that makes Karin an interesting character, filtered out all the comic-relief Kishi puts her through, and presented this incredible girl who is willing to go as far as she has to for what she wants. I wont point to the multiple examples present, but id just really like to highlight how upfront and NOT submissive she is in this story. Her standing up to Kimi, Sasuke, and even attempting to play Oro to get what she wants, very very well done.
Don't know how you did it, but you somehow nailed my headcannon for Kimimaro's personality. His confidence and pride in himself, his devotion to Oro (even extending that to respect for Kabuto), but at the same time his pragmatism, and how clear it is that due to both his upbringing and illness that he just did not have the same view of life/the world as a normal person would. Really liked all the lines related to color hear. Kimimaro is a very black and white charater, that's completely how he see's the world...suddently introducing such vibrant colors to it, that would be a massive shock.

Sasuke, Orochi, and Kabuto are also all done extremely well. Sasuke is a character who has very clear "phases" in regards to his personality, depending on where in canon he appears. His absolute single minded focus on Itachi is handled very well. He doesn't see people as friends, or probably even adversaries...he only see's them as either "asset to killing Itachi"...or "hinderance to killing Itachi". Throughout his appearances i feel there may have been small bits of jealousy, but mostly i got the impression that he was more concerned that Karin would still be available to help him find his brother.
I know you have mentioned before that you find Orochimaru, and especially Kabuto difficult to write...you honestly have nothing to worry about. Every time i see you write either of these two its always a pleasure. Orochimaru is much more visual and upfront...everything he says always seems to carry a more sinister double meaning. You KNOW this is not a man to mess with, and that at any moment he could just decide to bring everything crashing down around you, just because he was bored and it seemed amusing. Kabuto on the otherhand i feel is more psychological. This is man who's entire life has been built upon lie after lie after lie. He may shower you with probably heartfelt and honest praise at one moment, and then smile down at you for a Vivisection the next.

I'm going to assume the M rating was meant for that final "healing session" between Kimi and Karin. In your other on-goings you usually basically cut the scene right before any sexual activity, so i was a bit surprised you kept going with it in this case. That said, VERY tastefully done. Subtle, but at the same time intense, again i want to mention how much i liked the mentions of color. I really like how Karin was the one who took things to the next level. Most females in Naruto tend to be represented as more submissive, but Karin is one of the few who has always been more forward in her wants. Part of that i think might be due to the nature of her healing tech.
Karin's method of healing is very intimate, a fact that im very glad to see you highlighted. The way she clearly felt violated after being used for Kabuto's research, and how she had to constantly remind herself that she was doing this for Sasuke all really helped focus attention on how personal her technique is for her, in good ways and bad. Really helped support the feelings and obvious attraction that developed between them.

Moving on from one kind of action to another...im SOOO happy you gave us even a small Sasuke vs. Kimimaro fight. I knew that if these two characters were ever alive, healthy, and in proximity to each other eventually things would come to blows. While they are similar in many ways, they are fundamentally different in others, especially in regards to Orochimaru. Kimi's reaction to Orochimaru's "death" was perfect. Kimi is normally a much more calm, collected, finesse based fighter. Despite the fact that he can shrug off most attacks with his armor...he still prefers to simply avoid attacks and counter as seen in his canon fights...here though, after seeing Oro dead, he basically goes bone-drill-berserker on Sasuke.

Karin stepping in to stop them both was an incredible scene. I think it may have been my favorite scene in the entire one shot. while it would not be in Sasuke's best interest to attack through Karin since he still needs her to hunt for Itachi...Kimimaro's rage was 100% focused on the wounded man behind Karin. But he doesn't attack through her, or even attempt to force her out of his way. Instead she talks him down...reminding him of who he is, and just as importantly...who he is not.

The final scenes are lovely, though while i can definitely see Kimimaro growing to become a protector of the rice country...i don't think he would be the guy to go to with questions on taxation, politics, and what-not. That stuff would probably have been best left to Karin after she arrived, lol. I usually am not a big fan of final "and then years later this happened" scenes...i REALLY like the way you handled this one. From everything we had seen in canon, Karin may love Sasuke, i feel he isn't exactly good for anyone. He is always to focused on one goal or another. So to see Karin move on and come back to the person who made her feel like the sun was great. Calling back her comment of her not being there for Sasuke, and him finally finding new meaning...not as a pawn or tool, but as a precious person to someone...nearly brought a tear to my eye

Wow...so, i guess i lied about not having the words to describe this. Truly great work. I am in absolute awe.
-Dan
Sleyman chapter 1 . 6/7/2013
How rare a thing it is to find a story on ffdotnet that I find genuinely moving.
Being a fellow crack!pairing writer, I was both surprised and pleased by the quality of this piece. While my well-developed cynicism made me have a bit of a "TLDR" in the first half of the story every time Sasuke or Orochimaru were involved, after a certain point of absorption (saturation?) I found I had to go back and start over. I had even been attempting to sleepily (1 mild hangover) trying to multi-task when I started reading. By the time I finished, I realised that not only had I been unable to drag my attention away, but had also completely forgotten about the other things I was doing (and my hangover was gone). Well-played. I'll probably find myself reading through it again before too long.
I'm also very tempted to read your other stories now, but there are so many (more than 2 is a lot!). It will take time.
misslaly19 chapter 1 . 6/7/2013
Made me love this couple , this has to be one of the best Karin oneshots, maybe an epilogue?