Reviews for Dark Songs of Arda
Beth Winter chapter 3 . 2/15/2004
I usually avoid poetry on like the plague, but yours... damn. Picking my jaw off the floor, I can only say "bravo"!
Christina chapter 3 . 1/5/2004
So much beauty, so much darkness. I can't praise this half as much as it deserves. There are some lines here which will ring on in my mind forever, such as the final couplet of Sauron's song. It is beautiful.
I particularly love how you've given the three dark beings metres and styles that suit them. Morgoth slow-moving and almost without images, with assonance rather than actual rhyme; Sauron eloquent, showy long lines; Fëanor dreamy yet defiant measures that seem the most Tolkienesque of these three. All are too good for me. But if I have to choose one favourite, it would be "Challenge the Lightning". Wonderful work, Miss Milligan!
Sirinial chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
Wow. I've never seen ANYONE (Tolkien excluded) do more justice to Melkor/Morgoth and Feanor, and I've read a whoooole lot. And thank you for writing about the Silmarillion! It's so neglected...
Morel chapter 3 . 11/30/2002
Excellent poem about Feanor. I have always believed that Feanor (and indeed, the least of the Noldor who left Aman Marred to battle Morgoth, hopeless though their cause may have been) was infinitely greater than the Vanyar, and especially greater than Ingwe the Idle (my appelation), King of Nothing, as he abdicated by inaction. Likewise Feanor showed himself to be more steadfast than the Valar, supposed lords of Arda (I do not remember who said it, but "God himself has no right to be a tyrant.") who refused to fight the evil that had attacked even them, and destroyed their pure light forever, preserved only by the jewels of WHO? FEANOR!

Now that I've ranted about Feanor long enough, I congratulate you on a fine piece of work once again.
Caporal chapter 3 . 9/15/2002
Ai Eru! These just get better and better.

This *is* Fëanor. 'And I my life and death shall give to flame'

Will you be doing more of these? Surely there are other villans to write about. Giant spiders? Pollution-dubbed dragons? Dark-Elves? Fëanorions?

Caporal chapter 2 . 9/15/2002
Wowzers! This is even better than 'Melkor'.

I suppose that it's set at the Fall of Numenor. That works, the corruption of Numenor was Sauron's greatest acheivment.

The poem is stirring. Sauron, in his moment of glory, challenging the Valar themselves, with Man as his weapon.

'And I care not if I die tonight, with the proud desperate Men, every one

For tonight I have challenged the lightning, and the world will remember I've won.'

The images that stirs up...Wow.

Caporal chapter 1 . 9/15/2002
Oooh, I like!

This is true poetry. It's almost a song.

'And then when I sought to join,

The notes that I sang were named marred'

*/applauds*/

Clair chapter 3 . 9/14/2002
Yet again, you made me cry...
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 3 . 9/1/2002
Brava! It sounds really good to me, Joan.
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 3 . 8/31/2002
Wow, this is how poetry ought to be. Meaningful, lyrical, beautiful. It's a shame there are only three, there are so many more bad guys who deserve poems! (I'm thinking of a certain Bad Elf from Nan Elmoth...) Lovely writing, wish I had your talent...! :)
Mouse chapter 3 . 8/28/2002
Sauron's song is gorgeous. "darkened the Gift of Man" - I like that line. We can assume that Illuvatar didn't intend for death to be something frightening and dreadful for men- he calls it a *gift*- but the "forces of evil" and the ways that they caused death certainly made it so.

The image of him "challenging the lightning" is just ... awe-inspiring (which he would probably like _).

And that is just Feanor to a tee. His pride, his will- he understood what he was going into, but he went anyway.

Marvellous!
Mouse chapter 1 . 8/28/2002
Oh my...

"For only in darkness the light

And only in silence, the song"

AcK! Perfect! Okay, I'm off to read to the rest.
Deborah Judge chapter 3 . 8/28/2002
Yep. This is the Feanor we know and love. You always write him well. 'I shall make tremble earth and sky.' 'My life and daeth shall give to flame.' Not only his own, unfortunately. But his power certainly comes through in this piece.
Deborah Judge chapter 2 . 8/28/2002
I'm a little queasy about Sauron the Orc-lord as a representative of freedom, since he seems to allow so little to his servants. Still, it makes sense that he would see himself that way, not noticing the contradiction.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 8/28/2002
Oh, great ending! Only the storyteller does not call the villain wrong.