Reviews for There was Night
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 8/29/2002
Yes, I founded the Finwë League! And Mouse is in it, too. See you want to join..

Very beautiful glimpse on Finwës memories. You succeeded in making life at Cuivenen appear mysterious and dreamy, and plunged in the darkness that later was going to be half forgotten in the radiant realm of Valinor.

(and its great you decided to stay after all)
Mouse chapter 1 . 8/28/2002
Ooh, ah ... profound. Exquisite images. Yes, without night, there really can't be light. I love the passages about Feanor- burning through the bonds, burning through the blindfold. This is a very interesting perspective on the Blessed Realm- where, as Ulmo tries to remind the other Valar, the Elves were not originally intended to live. Of course some of them would have memories, regrets. Beautiful.

Yay Finwe! He really is spiffy, at least I think so ...
WatcherChild chapter 1 . 8/28/2002
It was good to see Finwe's thoughts. He really did have a troubling time in Valinor, althouhg many seem to over look that.

I like how you flashback to previous memories.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 8/28/2002
Poetic and beautiful. Finwe is hard to relate to, but you make him make sense.
vorondis1 chapter 1 . 8/28/2002
This is beautiful (though not easy to read, because of the shifting perspective). And it's good to see I'm not the only one who wonders what is so great about light when there's so little contrast with darkness.

The image of Valinor as a frozen place is very strong. In a way, it is the end of history, and the question remains how desirable that is.
Calanare Sairavanie chapter 1 . 8/28/2002
Finwë! Yay! Whatever did possess you, I'm glad it did. This was wonderul! Poetic and beautiful... I really don't not what else to say, it's just so great to see a Silmarillion fic (about Finwë!) that's *this* good. Thank you.