Reviews for Ghost, Ghost, I Know You Live Within Me
the-dandiest-of-lions chapter 9 . 6/3
maaann i fucking love the squad
"Butler folded his arms and did his best imitation of a mountain." i fucking spat out my tea

aw I love Garrus' reasons for wanting a break. So in-character and caring, and you write him taking command so well.

As well as some of them hid it, there was exhaustion in everyone’s features. He knew Monteague had used stims at least once on a mission, and that it was a matter of time before the rest of the squad gave in to the temptation. " oh GOSH he notices so much and cares so much and I'M GOING TO BE A SOBBING MESS WHEN YOU KILL THEM
DAMN YOU BEE
DAMN
YOU
(i mean i've already read this fic and i DID cry my eyes out in The Chapter With The Death but STILL)

"Sidonis balanced his elbows on his knees as he leaned forward. Garrus saw the way his plates were bunched and uneven from tension." fuckity shit man I love characters noticing moods and body language and tiny details oh gosh

"e laid his hand on Weaver’s head. After a moment, she leaned into him, her eyes closing."
i refuse to accept this
they're so beautiful
and it HURTS

“Don’t touch any of my stuff,” said Weaver at the shuttle dock. “Seriously. I’ll kill you and pee on your corpse.”
i want to marry her

“I can’t believe she said she’d urinate on my corpse.”

“Knowing Weaver, that’d be the least of the horrors she’d unleash."
I WANT TO MARRY HER

AND THEN YOU FUCKING HIT US WITH THIS:
"The base was quiet as a tomb after the squad was gone.
Garrus kept that metaphor to himself."
just
duuuuuuude
fuck me with a sledgehammer
(don't do that)
i just love your writing so fucking much oh my god
i'm sorry i'm swearing so much but i do that when i really like what i'm reading

oh gosh and garrus telling her to stay while he patrols
and the convo about the reapers
i just love this fic so much

"Stupidity's contagious on Omega" hahaha your dialogue is always so witty and funny and brilliant

"Of course, all his plans went out the window when he rounded a corner and found Garm taking a piss against the side of a wall.
Sorry, Shepard. I’m about to be an idiot, he thought, and lined up his first shot."
FUCK i love this so much

"Garm’s face cracked open in a parody of a smile." really chilling description!

God, I love the fight scene. It's easy in the games to just go "yeah okay, a krogan, let's just spam him with bullets", but you make him fucking terrifying!

"Finish it, said the dry, unimpressed voice in his head that always, always had Shepard’s face. He’s playing you, he’s not as hurt as he looks." god DAMN i love this

and fuck
blowing his garm's knees another time
the taunting
the cockiness

"Later, when he was on the Normandy again, Garrus would think of this moment and realize it was the beginning of the end.

Garm’s grin turned wide and hungry. “Nice shields. Your little tech princess cook them up?”Later, when he was on the Normandy again, Garrus would think of this moment and realize it was the beginning of the end.

Garm’s grin turned wide and hungry. “Nice shields. Your little tech princess cook them up?”"
and then WHAM

"Three months of work, fried in an instant. If Garm didn’t kill him, Erash and Weaver would." jesus i'm laughing and horrified
your action scenes are so fucking good
i can SEE them

and THEN
"Garm hadn’t been talking to himself. He’d been calling for help."

god i LOVE how you give us ups and downs in your action scenes
and all this built from a throwaway few lines of dialogue in-game
SO GOOD

i just love this fic
fantastic chapter!
eurodox59 chapter 48 . 5/17
I must say: something about your writing managed to capture perfectly the sheer magnitude of perturbing abnormality. For a time, I felt as though I could *feel* what Joker was feeling.

There can now be no doubt that you've nailed everything I can see here, from mechanics to voice to execution, everything!

Wonderful work!
EvoKov chapter 21 . 5/13
Fuck...you know I've probably read a hundred iterations of Garrus and his squad, and this scene. I don't think I've ever teared up before. For that alone this story already holds an irreplaceable part of my heart.
MizDirected chapter 48 . 5/13
I love the comparison of the beacon and Shiala/Liara to what is messing around in her head now. It gives the voice a tremendous gravity, like a black hole pulling her in, the pull just gripping her more tightly as she goes under. Those entire passages are creepy and awesome, and they're right, a wolf needs its pack.

Holy cats, this chapter is freakin scary awesomeness. Shepard's one-sided discussions with the powers that be and Joker ... omg ... poor Joker. I nearly jumped out of my skin when he saw what he did. I feel faint. Just fantastic and horrific and egads, it feels like my guts are crawling inside mah bellah. And I love that EDI told him not to turn around. That adds a whole new level of good lord!

especially when part of him still blamed her for taking Shepard away in the first place. - yeah, he's in a weird place. Poor Garrus caught between loved dead Shepard and uneasy live Shepard. Just when he thinks things might start getting "normal", something really bizarre goes off. His realization that their ghost relationship wasn't sustainable is a start for him, but yeah, it's hard to keep focused on the realizations sometimes. Knowing something is so much different than believing it.

So ... wow ... excellent, horrific chapter. So scary. You are brilliant at the scary stuff. I feel completely reorganized internally. Kudos a billionty times.
Vorcha Girl chapter 24 . 5/1
Poor Garrus. His confusion in this chapter was so sad. He's so tired and heartbroken, and it's clear that he doesn't know if Shepard is real or not, or even if he can trust his own eyes. I really, really felt for him. Being alone and holding off so many mercs for so long would be so difficult. The sense of urgency carried over really well from the previous chapter, and you managed to cut through several scenes really seamlessly so that it was a pleasure to read and your writing really swept me into the final scene with Archangel and Shepard finally meeting. I have to admit, that is always one of my favourite moments in the game. Seeing his face and knowing that you have one of your teammates back by your side again is such a relief, even if the moment is tempered by the bittersweet knowledge that he's lost so much in the past two years. You did that so well, and you put your own spin on it.

This fight is always a big one, and we all know it usually ends with Garrus taking rockets to the face, so I'm keen to see how things go down, and if you change up more of this scene or if it plays out like the game. Awesome chapter! :)
Vorcha Girl chapter 23 . 5/1
I love the final line of this fic, and I adore the way you've written Aria. You really gave her a weight and an age which I don't see in a lot of fics. She feels ... menacing, but not because she's Omega's Queen, just because she's that old and has that much power behind her. It was a nice touch.

As always, your descriptions in this chapter were brilliant, but the scene with the ghost was outstanding, and how Shepard reacted to it afterwards. Her desperate battle to get away and find out what it was, and then to get control over her own mind/fear and her own body was pretty spectacularly written. There was a lot of emotional punch there that i enjoyed reading. The sense of urgency you built in this chapter was fantastic too - I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for her to get back to Garrus. Though ... will she remember her time as a ghost? Eeep. I love this fic.
Vorcha Girl chapter 22 . 5/1
Oooh - this was such a great chapter! I loved how raw and brittle Shepard's emotions were, and the change of POV was amazing. I loved finally being able to see inside of her head and getting an idea of just how alone she feels waking up with Cerberus at the helm of her life. So many authors just kind of throw you in there with Shepard accepting her fate and and being completely fit and healthy - I liked this. I liked that she was damaged and unfinished, that she was bitter and unhappy. It was brilliant. It gave me a real sense of how traumatic it was.

The added stress of her working amongst enemies ... or at least, not amongst friends, was also great. Then having Tali not entirely trust her, that was tough. I even winced at that. Shepard was just so hurt by that. Joker helped a little bit, but that sense of being out of place and time persisted. It made for a powerful chapter. I really loved it.
orangeflavor chapter 24 . 4/25
Oh man I just realized how much I fucking missed this piece. It was soooo good to come back to. Ugh, and what a chapter to return on - the reunion. I have so many things to say about this chapter and I'll likely be quoting back just about everything so brace yourself.

Okay okay, I LOVE Miranda in this. I mean, I already adore how you write Miranda, but her in this chapter, and playing alongside Eliza is just the best thing I could ask for. I mean, it's such a tiny moment, but when you write "Miranda stepped around a puddle, wrinkling her nose at the smell" I can't get over how, with any other character, that action might have come across as dainty or pretentious, but with Miranda, it's just perfectly comical. It's not so much 'eww' as it is 'ain't nobody got time for that' and I fucking love it.

You've got some gems in this chapter, I've got to say. "Shepard stifled the urge to run toward the gunshots." On first read, I took it with a note of hilarity given how she's speaking about Jaroth, but it also speaks to her urgency and so it can be read seriously too. And I think it's great that you can do that in such a simple line.

Also: "...prying Miranda out of her uniform would only happen when the woman was dead." This is so hilarious, because it's so true, and the placement of this line right here is just to perfect amount of levity in an otherwise somber situation. And then: "...Miranda let loose a chatter of SMG fire that blew through his shields like a scythe." Can you tell yet that Miranda is one of my favorite things about this chapter? ;)

"...the Pull's echo in her gut died." "Fighting was the only time she allowed herself to be graceful." "...the dizziness fell away, replaced by dry grief." "...rushing toward him as the air tore out of her mouth." These are just gorgeous, gorgeous descriptions.

But then this one really gripped me: "...the air heavy with old exhalations." Oh my god this is the perfect way to capture a 'home', a lived-in space. It's brilliant! With a perfect note of subtle tragedy when you know those breaths have been violently choked off only days before. Honestly, I think it's my favorite bit of description in the chapter.

But then the scene. THE SCENE. The reunion we've all been clamoring for but also dreading because she doesn't remember and it just HURTS so much because fuuuuuuuck the way you write Garrus in this scene is just...ugh, just painful in all the right ways. His distance and his tight-lipped fury and his disbelief and his cautious relief and his yearning and his needing and his emptiness. God, you get it all down so well in this whole passage. And I'm soooooo glad you took the time to really get into this scene and get those tiny yet immense details so deliberately placed. It all works so well, and it's wonderfully paced. In fact, this whole chapter is! And I'm so in love with the way you write fight scenes. The descriptions are crisp and energy-laden, and the details are just specific enough to give us a clear image but not so abundant that we get lost in the prose and bogged down. And the intensity of the fight leading up to the reunion leads up so well to the emotional struggle that happens once they're on the inside.

You had a great balance in this chapter of action and heart. I'm really excited to see how you bring them back together from this point. And I kind of love that somewhere inside, somewhere even Eliza doesn't recognize yet, her heart still knows him, and still needs him. And that small hope you give us is just beautiful. Awesome, awesome chapter!
thedandiestlion chapter 8 . 4/18
Oops I didn't finish!
I love this chapter! I love how in equal part heartbreaking and hilarious and touching and sexy this fic is. Your Shepard and Garrus are written so well and I love this AU! Fantastic work, as always 3
the-dandiest-of-lions chapter 8 . 4/18
so how the heck have i never reviewed this chapter before?

man I love this story so much

oh man one year since she died
shit man that conversation about her body
jeeeesus

“I went to Alchera. It seemed like a good idea. First anniversary of being dead, why not go visit where it happened? God, I’m morbid sometimes. But I went. Worst trip I’ve made.”
god i love this
i love your dialogue
i love this conversation
so good

"The distracted way she kept shoving her hands through her hair, like she wasn’t sure what else to do with them, unnerved Garrus." fuck man i love this
i can SEE this

"Maybe Liara took my body" oh boy

and then
"You *are* morbid."
"Side effect of being dead." holy shit these two are fantastic

“I’ve never had to tell a guy to look at my breasts,” sighed Shepard. “Eyes a little lower, Garrus.”
lolol i love this
HAHAHA Erash interrupting them! oh my god hahaha

"I don’t want them seeing me like this,” he whispered. “You know, fondling air and moaning by myself.” hahahaha omg
Credete chapter 48 . 3/30
Got a chance to read the new chapter, interesting things going on! Excited to see how Shepard it once she is out of the "coma."

Also, that whole Jeff's sister thing was interesting, excited to see what other characters you do similar things with, if you end up doing so.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
rachelle.batan chapter 48 . 3/18
I truly love this story. I hope you'd see this through to the end.
the-dandiest-of-lions chapter 7 . 3/16
The squad was ready to crawl back into bed at the slightest sign from Garrus. Mierin looked heartbroken when he came into the room in full armor.
“Careful, Garrus. It looks like they’ll mutiny if you try to make them work.” Shepard closed her hand around his wrist. “Shouldn’t have let them sit around for a week.” Through some weird emotional alchemy, Shepard had decided to transmute her anger into being a smart-ass. Garrus almost preferred her pissed-off.
aw hahahaha i love this
I love how affectionate Shepard and Garrus are to the squad
and i love Shepard's smart-arseness
so good
and the phrase "weird emotional alchemy" is GENIUS

love mordin's "cameo" here with Weaver's report

"This was why Garrus come to Omega. No red tape to hold him back, no regulations to stifle his creativity. Sooner or later, every criminal who’d ever slipped past him at C-Sec would wash up on Omega, and his finger would already be on the trigger.
Archangel would be ready. They would be ready." yessssssss i love this
i love how Garrus is still resolute and steadfast
how even with all the confusion of ghosts and death and Shepard he is still out there

“I think you need a hobby, Garrus. Maybe painting.” LOVE this
is it a little nod to Garrus' comment about learning to paint in ME3 after Grissom?
love it anyway

“Baking,” said Shepard. “You could have your own extranet show.” LOLOL SHEPARD
I LOVE HER
I LOVE HOW GARRUS IS TRYING TO DO STUFF AND SHE'S JUST THERE BULLSHITTING
SHE'S SO GREAT OMF

"If this was the rest of his life, he wouldn’t complain. He had a good squad, a good gun, a good fight.
He had Shepard."
aw so fucking sweet
i love them so much

"Erash and Sidonis pounded him on the back, shouting unintelligibly. Melanis shoved a mug of ryncol at him. Somewhere nearby, Weaver was yelling at someone that she was totally old enough to drink, dickwipe, I’m not staying here and Vortash had an arm slung around Mierin’s shoulders, completely failing at hiding his joy." honesty just SAME HERE MAN
god i love the squad so much
you give us such amazing, engaging, enjoyable characters

"A great hot swell of pride and love washed through Garrus." me too, buddy. me too.

I loved the scene with Aria
such a subtle moment but so good
so in-character and brilliant

“I was right!” crowed Mierin. “Secret wife! Or husband! Pay up!” Grundan and Erash reached into their pockets, grumbling. Mierin cooed as she counted her winnings.
“Last time I bet against an asari,” sighed Erash.
“Damn right,” chorused the sisters.
Shepard, damn her, was laughing so hard she could barely stand. “These people,” she gasped, “are amazing. Where did you find them? I thought the Normandy’s collection of daddy issues was impressive but this? This is art.”"
PERFECT SCENE
PERFECT DIALOGUE
PERFECT CHARACTERS
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH YOU HAVE NO IDEA

“Maybe you’re just a sadist who enjoys torturing non-humans.”
“Just one,” she said. Her hand curled around the back of his neck and stroked once, under the clasp of his visor. Her grin turned wicked when he shuddered and let her go.
neck touching hell yeah
hell yeah

"She tilted her head and bared the side of her neck to the weak light. To my teeth, Garrus thought, and banished the idea as quickly as he could. He couldn’t stop a groan when her hand slid under his jaw.
“I can’t exactly think when you do that,” he said, only one larynx working. Was it too soon? Should he even bother questioning this?"
fuck me this is gorgeous
so sensual
so meaningful
so beautiful
so sexy
holy moly man
they need to bang and they need to bang soon
(lmao i've read your smut and it's brilliant)

"You took your boots off." lol oh garrus
(minor spellng issue with "Iit was a stupid thing to fixate on"?)

“I’m going to sprain something trying not to tease you.” I LOVE ELIZA SO MUCH

“Then go to bed,” she said. “I’ll stare at you while you sleep.”
When Garrus laughed, it felt like the first time in years.
aw man
so funny and so sweet and so heartwarming and so heartbreaking ahh

“Strippers, boss. Strippers! And you made me stay home. God, you’re not my dad.” lmao I love Weaver

“Teenagers are monsters, no matter the species. Maybe Sovereign was just hitting Reaper puberty.” HAHAHAHA amazing
eww now i'm imagining reaper periods and pubic hair and... boobs?

Halfway through the rundown, Shepard let her hand curve around his neck, cool and solid.
NECK
TOUCHING
YOU HAVE SLAIN ME
ThunderheadFred chapter 37 . 3/15
"He let out a groan of his own. There had to be a limit to the garbage spilling from the woman’s mouth. There had to be a place where the cryptic half-answers stopped and the truth came out." - GARRUS I LOVE YOU hahaha. OMG. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Nor and how complicated and limited she is, this creature of both shadow and light, and I appreciate how much she risks by helping them - but it is HILARIOUS and so meta to watch Garrus internally call her out like this. This is why Garrus is great and should be the narrator of everything, ever, like, all the text books and instruction manuals and complicated discourse in the world should all be riffed by Garrus M-F'in Vakarian. I love it.

INTERESTING TWIST HERE too, that somehow I had completely forgotten, so I got to experience it all over again, WHEE! Definitely assumed Garrus was getting the same helpful hints that Shepard was from Nor, so to find out that he distrusts the SNOT out of Nor... what a gut-punch. I love how Garrus is blaming everyone and everything for Omega - Nor, Shepard, himself, Sidonis. OOOOOPH. I'm so glad we're getting to glimpse back into his head, and I'm SO GLAD (perversely?) that his head is still such a mess.

Also love this repetition of the "plausible whisper" - what a great way for Garrus to put that. Death isn't this grandiose thing for him, (I can think of a dozen sweet-release-of-death cliches that the word "plausible" gorgeously avoids) instead it's this... alternative. A plausible alternative. Wouldn't this be nice, compared to what you've got, when you're so tired? GAH. It's chilling.

Okay, and then. AND THEN. The Sarcophagus. I have been WAITING for this. This was another one of those moments in this fic that never left me. It's so goddamn surreal, so imposing, so horrifying. And then, finally, for a moment of triumph at the end, even if we aren't sure why or how or what she's even fighting yet - I feel like we needed that victory of hope so much, by this point, and it just SINGS, it's just VICTORY, it's just PERFECT.

yesssssssssssss
ThunderheadFred chapter 36 . 3/15
So many great things at work in this chapter, from another brilliant glimpse into Akuze (I cannot get enough of these, seriously) to the EERIE evil things in this room, to Garrus POV making a furious and long-awaited return. You've got so many beautiful phrases here, a really visceral and poetic grasp of the language in nearly every sentence. Absolutely lovely writing throughout this installment. Changing up the tenses between the worst days and the present, the forceful descriptions, all of it: brilliant. In particular, the visit back to Omega was powerfully written and had me short of breath. Your writing absolutely glimmers whenever you are describing a tableau or internal thoughts.

Now, that inclination toward savoring the language can slow up a few areas when folks should be speaking or moving - everyone feels VERY introspective right now, which works both for and against you - but you write all their internal machinations SO WELL that it hardly seems right of me to whine about a few minor snags in the pacing. This chapter was gorgeous, start to finish.

Is that Nor, in those pauses? I'll have to go back to the previous chapter and think on that... OOOH