Reviews for It's Hard to Build Barricades When You're Eighty
Smithy chapter 1 . 7/3/2015
I can just picture Enjolras fighting old age like this. I have a feeling I will need a cane because I banged up my knee severely when I was in high school. They seriously thought I broke something.
Silversea chapter 1 . 2/10/2014
This was really good. Please write more Amis!
Butterfly chapter 1 . 2/10/2014
I was really worried about this, but I shouldn't have been. How were they so in character? Awesomeness! :D :D
stagepageandscreen chapter 1 . 12/20/2013
So unbelievably cute, but in a touchingly melancholy way. I love how easy it is to see the long friendship that these men have had, and how their character doesn't really alter with age. All of them were utterly precious and I loved every word of this. A definate favourite!
SPAS or Libz
Guest chapter 1 . 6/11/2013
This was cool you should have added more characters
Kchan88 chapter 1 . 6/11/2013
Oh, what a birthday present this is, I love it! Obviously you know how much I love the idea of Old Man Enjolras with a cane, hence the inspiration for this story! Love imagining him just glaring at it so hard he wants it to catch on fire, ahahah. And Old Man Ferre is still Ferre and Old Man Courf is still Courf, off flirting with the old ladies in the bingo room PERFECTION. Also not wanting to be called "Mr. Courfeyrac" what a nice detail, like not wanting to be called "de Courfeyrac" in the novel!

Also this: "Did you know that Mary Shelley kept her husband's heart after he died?" the poet says, taking a seat in the armchair and setting down his flute. At the door, Lilian pales a little, but she stays in the room.

I was laughing so much my roommates came to see WHAT it was I was laughing about. Oh Jean Prouvaire, I want to hear more random facts about Romantic period writers, please.

Also it was quite brilliant how you weaved a little bit of melancholy through the comedy when mentioning the Amis who have gone before them, so lovely.

Also Combeferre with a walker and slipping bi-focals, that is WONDERFUL.

I'm saving this forever.

Poor, poor Lillian, having to put up with this lot. :D
Tofs chapter 1 . 6/11/2013
I don't know if I can pinpoint what makes this fic so sad to me, but I'm extremely melancholy and close to tears (happy or sad?) because of you. Okay, fine, we can blame Matchbox 20's You Won't Be Mine too.

Let me get it clear that this was a bad fic, or it would make anyone else sad. I guess just - the idea of Les Amis de l'ABC growing old and slowly dying one by one is heartbreaking -

*pauses and turns off music*

Better. I feel happier already! ... heartbreaking, and - how young you still let them be for how many years have truly passed in their lifetimes...

I know (at least I think) you meant this to be a short crack!fic "not to be taken seriously", but I just felt the huge wahnt to thank you for writing it 'cause it made me feel... Happy? Sad? Melancholy.

Okay. I sound like a crazy person! Oops. Normal review:

This is really cute. I love the way you write old!Amis and Enjolras building mini barricades only to wonder why later. _ You did a great job. Thanks for posting!

- tofs
Phoenixflames12 chapter 1 . 6/11/2013
I don't think I have laughed for this long and this hard in a long, long time! Really, really, really well done! I am simply in awe of your characterisations and Enjolras... Stubborn, old man Enjolras made me smile as did Courfeyrac- especially his reference to Enjolras being an aged Greek God- really, really well done! I love how you've got Jehan playing his flute, not many people remember that but it's a lovely touch and Combeferre, R, Bahorel and even Joly and Bossuet are just priceless- great writing! x
ello chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
I honestly don't know what to say... Let me start by saying "how could you...?" I mean, it's bad enough we NEVER GOT TO SEE THEM GROW OLD IN THE BRICK. and here you are, making them old and stuff... and making them adorable, and smile, and happy... and UGH! I wanna read more! This was just so cute!