Reviews for cinderella man
bantam-shine chapter 13 . 11/13/2015
I absolutely loved this story. It was a unique & poetic spin on the familiar fairy tale, as well as Katniss & Peeta's story. You really captured his voice (& the other characters' voices) well. I especially loved the scene where he & Haymitch talk about their families & the happy ending for Peeta & Katniss.
Gamemakers chapter 1 . 8/3/2014
I like this a lot! You've done a great job highlighting elements that fit the Cinderella story.

Peeta's relationship with Bannock, for me, leaves something to be desired. Why, if he loves his older brother and Bannock is kind to him in return, does Peeta think of himself as not having a family in Catching Fire? I enjoyed your characterization, but I'm not sure it matches what happened in the book.

Only one sentence really jumped out at me as needing improvement. The first line of the second-to-last paragraph, [It's not said ...] makes sense, but I had to read it several times to understand what you were trying to say. I'm not sure how you could reword it, but I think that it would help the reader's understanding of this piece.

Great job! I really enjoyed it :-)
Estoma chapter 13 . 5/2/2014
[He thinks it's a good look for him.] Yes, yes it is. Poor Peeta really deserves this, and you state it so nicely. Lovely conclusion, leaving the readers with a sense of closure, and the knowledge that all will work out in the future.

Thanks for a lovely story.

Estoma chapter 12 . 5/2/2014
Dear me, I think after this all I'll all caught up on all your stories. I was just struck again while reading this, how much your tone reminds me of that in 'The Book Thief' and it's fantastic you've taken so much inspiration from it.
Estoma chapter 11 . 5/1/2014
Sorry, sorry, I must finish reviewing this! I really must.

Goodness, it's just beautiful and natural. There's such a gorgeous hesitancy in Peeta and Katniss' relationship that suits them both perfectly. It's delicate, and reminds me of the soft tread of a cat, or the flimsy yet persistent blooms of a flower, perhaps a primrose. I think you've paired the symbols really well in this chapter.

This chapter leaves the reader in no doubt that Peeta and Katniss are well on their way to healing together, and everything is going to be alright. They deserve that. It's beautiful that Peeta realises he's ready to love Katniss as herself, not the idolised image he had of her since he was a child.

Just perfection.

compartmental chapter 1 . 4/19/2014
Wow, this was lovely! It's nit immediately obvious as a Cinderella AU and it sticks to the canon while diverging JUST enough. I don't have much to say except that this is flawless, as most of your work is.

I'll definitely be returning to this. (:
Estoma chapter 10 . 2/10/2014
Sorry, can't resist tagging you, cause I know there's always something good to read! Though, I believe I have only three more chapters here and then I'll have to refrain. Hurry up and write something else for me, please, Gabbie ;)

I'm just noticing the different tone here, as compared to SO3 which I have been reading a lot of lately. It's nicely quick, progressing through the story quickly in your characteristic stark style. In fact, it's quite a good tone for a fairytale, in which you rarely see much embellishment. It's a nice change from a story which is a little more wordy (but lovely).

My favourite parts here were the stories about the apple tree, and of course Haymitch's little snippet of info. I know you've got so much more to reveal about Haymitch in other stories, and I hope you know that your backstory for him is definitely my headcanon. I'm glad that Haymitch understood Peeta's reference to the kitten, and you showed how much it meant to Peeta in a beautiful way.

Lovely work, as always.

Estoma chapter 9 . 2/8/2014
Okay, so I know I probably should just review all of these in one whack, hey? But I do like playing review tag. Anyways!

[Peeta doesn't regard his mother] Oh, chilling little line here. Definitely show what Peeta's mother is like. I've never actually thought about Peeta's reasoning for voting 'no', aside from 'well, he's a good person', so I really enjoyed your little details that he considered what his family would want.

I also liked your showing Peeta's perspective of the parachutes exploding, and how he got burnt. So...ironic, really, that he just got swept up in it and set on fire by the burning child, rather than being in the centre of it all. I really like that.

[almost blend in with the pale winter sky] Such great lines, as always, I can picture it perfectly.

Lovely work, and I will finish reviewing one day ;)

Estoma chapter 8 . 1/25/2014
...so, I keep forgetting to finish reviewing these. Though, I do love that a bit of time has passed and now I can read them without the memory being so fresh in my mind, and it's like a new experience, and I can enjoy them all over again.

You're right; there's not much about a kiss, though, as you said in your author's note, there is always a kiss in a fairytale. You've kept the character of the genre.

You've covered Peeta's feelings brilliantly, and his treatment by the doctors, also. I love how he can feel confusion; he hates, and he wants Katniss to smile, all at the same time. The way the doctors just sedate him when he gets unmanageable is also a lovely touch.

[He also really wants her to die.] Such a stark and wonderful line!

Lovely work, as always.

Estoma chapter 7 . 11/27/2013
I hope you're quite aware that I love this piece. You've even inspired me to dabble in fairy-tales, though I've not got anything much yet. It's a lovely blend of the familiar and the not so. You show Peeta's side of the story so very well, to the point where his later actions make perfect sense.

[His distorted reflection on the tiles is flour-white] Very good little details. I can imagine Peeta's frightened, bruised face, white except for the bruises. Nice use of 'distorted' to describe the reflection, when it is not the only thing that is being distorted.

[Why can't he hear screaming in the cell next to his anymore?] Such a lovely, stark ending. I imagine that is one of the other victors, Johanna perhaps.

Estoma chapter 6 . 11/16/2013
I really love the idea of Peeta's token. It's something missed out of canon, and I've never seen one that i like as much as yours.

[Self-preservation wasn't a priority, anyway.] You portray Peeta's devoted, self-effacing tone so beautifully. You can almost read the gentle shrug and the look of acceptance in his eye.

Minor point: You could stand to use a few semi colons every now and then, for example: [they are sent back into the arena, the reaping of victors instead of district children.]

Estoma chapter 5 . 11/16/2013
Yes, I'm shamelessly going to go through and review these.

[appreciating his own random wisdom with a smirk] You capture Haymitch perfectly here, as well as any drunk person. I know when I start drinking not only do I think I'm irresistible to the opposite sex, and a stand up comedian, I'm also a nobel prize winning philosopher.

[I'm never drinking again after this] Oh Peeta, where have I heard that before? I say it every morning after a hangover. I hope Peeta decides to keep his resolution.

[bluntly sharp teeth] Works perfectly here; another example of your fantastic way with words.

Estoma chapter 4 . 11/16/2013
Just about long enough has passed that my memory of this story has faded a little and I can enjoy your turn of phrase all over again!

[His tone isn't bitter but proud] This is just perfect for Peeta. It's always been about Katniss, but he never seemed to mind. You capture it beautifully.

[No one minds them at all] Simple, yet a lovely strong ending for this little snippet.

[gold alloying with coal] You have such a great way with words. It just pops, really, great line. There are so many of these.

You know I love this story.

Estoma chapter 3 . 10/18/2013
Dear me, sorry Gabbie, I am horribly behind on my reviews. I had forgotten you published this one as chapters rather than a oneshot! Your post in review tag reminded me of my lapse.

You already know how much I loved this piece, and I think it is better as chapters; it was a very long oneshot otherwise, and that can be tiring to read.

The ending is perfect. The simple contrast of Peeta and Katniss' plans, it's just so stark and wonderfully written. In fact, the whole piece has a great stark and pared back sort of feel to it. You don't have unnecessary description and words and it is refreshing. In particular, where Peeta is cut by Cato, you simply say that he tries to avoid the sword 'without success' and that tells us all we need to know.

I always end up gushing when I review your work.

Love it.