Reviews for STXIII - Welcome to Tomorrow
zoneofk chapter 10 . 9/27/2014
Excellent story, absolutely love this! Thanks so much for a wonderful story and excellent character presentation :-) Thank you!
wotumba1 chapter 10 . 10/26/2013
great story! loved it!
will head to the sequel next...
wotumba1 chapter 7 . 10/26/2013
now that doesn't look good at all...
wotumba1 chapter 6 . 10/26/2013
never thought that that test would once maybe save his life...
wotumba1 chapter 3 . 10/26/2013
really bad timing for a klingon attack i'd say...
trufflemores chapter 10 . 7/7/2013
Ah, so that's why they abandoned the battle: they weren't expecting the Klingon vessels to have been destroyed. I misinterpreted that earlier: I thought the Klingons had self-destructed their own ship once the others were destroyed, but it seems that it was Kirk and the Enterprise that managed to blow it up.

Interesting alliance you've got going here! I imagine the Klingons and Romulans together would make a formidable pair. I'm curious how much the Romulans actually know about Nero's attacks, though, given how often communications between the Enterprise and Starfleet blinked out. It'd be interesting to see how they would interpret the Klingons' offer with their own agenda.

Nice conclusion! I enjoyed reading this.
trufflemores chapter 9 . 7/7/2013
Haha. I'm picturing Spock holding one of the science kits in one hand and a delicate flower in the other (in my mind, its bright purple with white spores; dark green shoots, a speckling of white around the purple petals themselves), and it's adorable. Spock's so comfortable with all the science stuff that it's amusing to see him in a situation so out of his league. At least he knows when to just go along with it rather than argue.

Then again, it is Jim Kirk. Maybe he should have argued more extensively on accepting romantic advice from him. ;)

Interesting conversation between Kirk and Spock, by the way. I understand why Kirk would still have a relationship with Carol Marcus and encourage Spock to do the same with Uhura, even if it is a little puzzling at first in light of their bond. The t'hy'la bond isn't simply a romantic bond; it's much more. Being able to be romantically independent outside of it seems fair, since that's only one part of it.

Still curious to see if the Klingon issue will be addressed. If not, I'll file it under 'inexplicable universal mysteries.'
trufflemores chapter 8 . 7/7/2013
Now I'm curious - why did the Klingons turn about face and run? I'm interested to reading more about that.

Spock doesn't do things halfway. I'm not surprised that he wanted to be the one to rescue Kirk. As First Officer, he's the most qualified to undertake a high-risk operation single-handedly and succeed. Not every officer aboard the Enterprise would be capable of boarding a Klingon vessel and rescuing another officer, let alone the captain himself. It's a good thing that he was able to locate Kirk so quickly; I'm not surprised the ship self-destructed. I'm sure the Klingons aboard would have realized that negotiations were turning south and would have wanted to destroy their bargaining chip and their potential informatives (hostages/prisoners).

Minor curiosity - did Spock bring a phaser with him when boarding the Terror? I can't recall reading it, but perhaps I simply missed it.

Either way, great stuff!
trufflemores chapter 7 . 7/7/2013
Being hailed, but by whom? That is the question.

I loved the interaction between Kirk and the crew. Again, rapid-fire delivery of the action kept the chapter moving along nicely; it didn't drag its feet at all, so to speak. I noticed one minor critique - 'proceed.' If you remove it, most sentences will still make sense and project the same meaning, and it helps shrug off that infamous passive voice for a more powerful active voice. Just a suggestion, but one that could improve your writing style.

As it is, I enjoyed reading how events unfolded here. You have to feel bad for Admiral Barnett, thrust into a position that he never intended to hold because its former holder attempted to ignite a war between the Federation and the Klingon empire by awakening a superhuman and sabotaging the flagship in the Neutral Zone. At least he seems to be competently diplomatic; he knows when to press his point and also when to stand down.

Another enjoyable chapter; off to read what's next!
trufflemores chapter 6 . 7/6/2013
Oh, boy. The dynamic duo's at it again, aren't they? I love it when Spock and Kirk scheme together. There's something wonderfully chaotic about it. Spock's all cool logic, Kirk's all explosive spontaneity: a fascinating combination any day of the week. It's good to see Spock's back in the game and ready to pull out all the stakes to protect Kirk, the Enterprise, and of course, the Vulcan colony.

And it's amazing how regulation can backfire so drastically sometimes. I'm sure the Starfleet officers are just following what they see as the more 'logical' path, but disregarding Spock's input is dangerous. Obviously, now they'll see the consequences of that.

Can't wait to read more! Interesting story so far.
trufflemores chapter 5 . 7/6/2013
You have a pleasantly succinct style: it's easy to read and easy to picture in my mind as the scenes unfold. It all flows together very well, so the realism of the story is preserved. From moment to moment, I feel as though I'm swept up in the action, first on the bridge of the Enterprise listening to them negotiate with Spock (and I have a feeling that Spock is going to raise some hell as the CO), and then shifting perspectives to follow Kirk into the heart of the Klingon ship.

It's a good thing Bones gave him that painkiller beforehand, although I'm not surprised that it wore off after a while. Poor Kirk. The parallel between Kirk and Pike towards the end (with Kirk reciting his rank, name, and serial number; standard protocol, of course, but still) was uncanny.

Great chapter! Well written and refreshingly to-the-point.
trufflemores chapter 4 . 7/6/2013
You have an excellent ear for voices. I could almost hear them speaking in my head as I was reading this. Spot on.

I also enjoyed Kirk's comparison between Spock and the Vulcan that he attempted to engage in conversation after learning about the Klingon attack. There were a couple minor tweaks that I would make to polish his speech a little; removing 'just' and changing 'like' to 'as,' for instance. Minor nitpicks, at any rate; I only noticed because the rest flow so smoothly.

I like that you've also shown Kirk addressing the major issues before he leaves his ship, including command and crew. He addresses them professionally - reinstating Scotty, contacting Vulcan and Starfleet for reinforcements, communicating with the Klingons - and also personally, both of which are very important to his personality. Kirk is professional, but he's also very personal with his crew. They are his family.

And you've continued to explore the relationship between Kirk and Carol Marcus! (And I believe there was one in the old series between these two, correct me if I'm wrong). Delightful interaction between Kirk and the crew, excited for more!
trufflemores chapter 3 . 7/6/2013
Oooh. Nice ending! I like your pacing: it flows easily from one scene to the next, much like the movies themselves do. The twist at the end was just the right amount of unexpected flare to keep me on the edge of my seat. I'm curious to see how Kirk will respond to this new threat. (And poor Scotty! He gets command for ten minutes and Klingons arrive.)

I enjoyed your explanation of the Pon Farr's physiological effects on Spock. I'm not familiar with the Pon Farr outside of glancing observations (I'm a modern Trekkie with only the barest know-how in the old verse), so it was refreshing to read some insight about the spike in adrenaline and consequent erratic behavior. I'm glad Spock's in good hands, at least. He definitely needs to be among his own people at a time like this; he can't even /tell/ other beings about it, so how can he expect help from them?

Which leads me to Uhura. Oh, honey. I feel bad that she's out of the loop, but at the same time, I'm pleased that Kirk is respecting Spock's privacy. It's just not his secret to tell.

And Bones! It was good to have Bones back. I was intrigued that Spock let him know about his condition so it would ease some of the burden that Kirk was bearing by managing the secret alone. I like this new development.

And I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next chapter! Off I go.
trufflemores chapter 2 . 7/6/2013
On a personal level, it's interesting that Kirk would be the only one to know about Spock's condition. (And it would make sense, since Spock Prime would want to impart important information to him while he could if there was any chance that it would significantly affect their time line, and I definitely think Spock experiencing his Pon Farr after the destruction of Vulcan would qualify). He has leverage over him, but it's a responsibility, not a burden. He ties up the loose ends rather than exacerbating them, helping Spock to de-stress a little. (I can't imagine what it must be like trying to be logical during a Pon Farr.)

On a professional level, it makes sense. Kirk is the captain, after all. It seems only fitting that he would know about everyone under his command, including their conditions. With Spock out of commission, he would need to know, as he would be responsible for organizing his 'treatment' (or in this case, BSing to Bones about a diagnosis that will keep the rest of the gossipmongers away).

I'm curious to see where you'll take this; off to read more! Great start.
Aneeta Potter chapter 10 . 6/25/2013
This was great. I hope you do a sequel!
56 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »