Reviews for Rules of an Aspie
gummybearperson chapter 1 . 4/23
This is interesting to read but there are a few issues with the historical and psychological accuracy. For example Autism was discovered in 1911 but would have been labeled as being "emotionally disturbed" or "retarded" further more Aspergers wasn't discovered until the 70's Steve wouldn't know about Aspergers. Also meltdowns would have happened on the spot not wait hours. People with Autism do feel empathy btw they can sometimes have issues expressing it though.
Polly Little chapter 1 . 10/19/2016
Something really important needs to be pointed out here.
Autistic people feel empathy. We might not be very good at showing it, but we definitely feel it, sometimes more than you NTs.
Meltdowns? They do exist, but you've misunderstood. Usually, you can't tell it's coming 'til it almost happens. No one goes to bed thinking "I'm going to have a meltdown tomorrow!" He would've had one when Tony broke the bike, and that's only if that month had been literal hell for him. Having a meltdown when he came out of the ice? That makes absolutely zero sense. Autistic people don't like change because it could be dangerousI can't walk to school a different way, I might get mugged!" but sometimes a little more extreme. Walking into Tony purposefully in the hall was completely illogical. Having a meltdown does not make you more aggressive, it means that you can't deal with other people. Steve would have just stayed in his room all day, worn headphones, completely ignored the others, or some other solution. Deliberately calling attention to yourself? That means he has to talk to Tony, and a meltdown happens because he can't talk to Tony, and he will feel physically ill if he tries.
It's impossible for Steve to have been diagnosed as a child, as Aspergers wasn't known until about the seventies/eighties.
Having Aspergers doesn't mean you automatically excell in one subject. That's not how it works. It means when you find something interesting, that is now YOUR thing, however bad you are at it. Some special interests only last a few days, others last a lifetime.
The idea of treatment for Aspergers is horrific. Absolutely repugnant. It isn't an illness, it's the way we are.
Please don't say things like thisit's extremely hurtful, and spreads misconceptions.
What gives me the right to say this? I'm autistic, have Aspergers Syndrome, and I'm fed up of media representation of people like me. We are human beings, with thoughts and feelings just like you.
BabyTgo chapter 1 . 8/15/2016
the story as great so far! I wish this was continued .
the17thmuse chapter 1 . 6/11/2016
Interesting start.
percab8531 chapter 1 . 6/1/2016
Pls update!
ThatKidWithTheUnkeptHair chapter 1 . 12/30/2014
I love this. Please continue it. If not, can i?
TheAngelsarewatching chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
Please write more!
A Cumberbatch Of Cookies chapter 1 . 9/23/2013
Please continue this. I'd love to see Steve's reaction to them all knowing.
Ravenclaw's Guardian chapter 1 . 9/5/2013
You should make a story of this its good. I would be very interested how it all works out
accabelieveitCap chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
More. Please, please, /please/ more. There isn't enough Steve with Asperger's in the fanfiction world. Its my drug. Great story.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/15/2013
Have aspergers myself, really enjoyed this. Hope to see more.
Anon chapter 1 . 6/14/2013
Specifically, it's an information processing disorder, not just a communication one, which is a mistake I see being made quite often and it is kind of annoying.
Frankly speaking, as an Asperger person myself, I think you're overdoing it a bit and leaning too much on general autism stereotypes. I personally haven't ever had a meltdown before, nor do other Aspergers I know and it's definitely something I tend to associate more with other, more severe forms of autism. Also, most of us are just as average at everything as everyone else. :P