Reviews for Conditional Agreement
xThomas2 chapter 1 . 1/12
She crazy!
TharzZzDunN chapter 1 . 3/13/2014
This was interesting, I can't remember ever reading this explanation for the famous training trip before. Nodoka is usually a different flavor of crazy revolving around the contracts resolution.

Cheers!
crimsontears82684 chapter 1 . 1/31/2014
This was a very interesting character study. I think your portrayal of the Saotomes was spot on.
Gabby-kun chapter 1 . 6/24/2013
This was an extremely intricate piece and was very well thought out and portrayed. Seriously, there isn't a single line that isn't believable. And I do believe the characters stayed true to their personalities and backgrounds as far as canon goes. Not to mention, I feel like this is how Rumiko Takahashi would have portrayed them if she had included this part of their lives.

Great work all around! I totally agree that Genma receives way too much critism for the agreement, seeing as though it was Nodoka who composed the entire idea. This was an interesting take on the subject that I really hadn't considered before.

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story.

-Gabby
ijpowers92 chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Cool. I always preferred more positive interpretations of Genma anyway.
SkyStrider chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
This is a well written piece - a few spelling errors, but nothing too bad.

I shouldn't have read it because tragedies bring me down, but that's hardly your fault - I saw how you marked and was intrigued anyway ;-)

I do feel Nodoka's canon character is indeed off her rocker for ever accepting the suicide pact or letting Genma take Ranma away. I'm not willing to let Genma off so easily either though - he has a pretty long list of unrepented sins. It's one thing to to commit a dumb act, it's another thing to show no remorse for a dumb act (or worse yet - defend it or even be proud of it).

Still a good story though...

- Skystrider
Richard Ryley chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Okay, first of all I really like the idea that Nodoka is the one in the family that has foreign blood. I always felt that she was too proper and traditional to be from a less than noble family, while Genma is the one who does not seem to hold much value in honor, but they way you set it up here it makes sense. That Ranma's girl side gets her red hair from her mother is obvious from the Anime, and even the manga clearly states that they resemble each other. I will have to confirm that Nodoka's eyes are blue, but I believe you are right about that.

On the other hand, there are some flaws in your scenario. For one thing, it is clear that Nodoka has an extremely strong personality, and "wears the pants" in the Saotome family. In the scene which you are setting up here, where Genma tries to leave with Ranma, Nodoka hits him on the head first with a frying pan, then with a bucket, and finally with a table. She bears more similarity to Akane than to a self-abused, insecure Kasumi. Granted, Genma could have tried to leave to take the burden off of Nodoka, and she forced him to sign the contract as a way of justifying her allowing this, but it's more likely that it was Genma's idea to leave for his OWN sake, and Nodoka's to set up the contract.

Second, Genma's behavior after he leaves Nodoka is consistent with this. Genma does not stand up for his son, he kowtows to others' demands until he can get away from them and abandon his responsibility, as he does with Ukyo. He is lazy, yes, but he is also a martial artist, and his one major goal in his life OTHER than laziness is to see his son trained to be the best martial artist of his generation. He is NOT lazy when it comes to that, although he can take some insane shortcuts, such as the Neko-Ken. If he felt that Nodoka was making his son weak, he would take him away from her, not try and reassure her that her beliefs are unfounded.

What is clear is that Genma's actions in trying to make Ranma a "man among men", and convince him that women are weak and inferior is due to Nodoka's pact. But that's likely NOT Nodoka's intention. That's just Genma being stupid, in the absense of Nodoka to clarify her meaning to him. It's also very clear that Genma is terrified of Nodoka. Not necessarily because she is skilled with the Saotome honor blade (because she isn't) but because she is a forceful, opinionated woman who has Genma wrapped around her finger. Part of his reason for teaching Ranma that he should stand up to women and not let them push him around may be because he doesn't want Ranma to marry a woman like Nodoka. (Although that's exactly where he's heading with Akane. :D)

This is not to say that you haven't come up with a thought provoking take on the issue. But I can't say you've hit the nail on the head. :D The truth is likely that both Nodoka and Genma had some part to play in Ranma's upbringing. That Nodoka would carry out the seppuku contract if forced to is entirely true. However, she regularly has nightmares about it and is clearly anguished over the thought. Plus, she seems to come up with any excuse, however flimsy, to believe Ranma is "manly", so it's entirely possible that she would never declare the contract unsatisfied. Ultimately, she declares that Ranma IS manly despite the curse, and the contract is fulfilled, so it's all moot in the end anyway.

Likewise, Genma is an idiot. Is he evil? One could argue that you have to be aware you are doing evil to be truly evil. The results are the same, though, so who cares? He has raised Ranma to be an emotionally crippled, socially maladjusted misogynist. Fortunately, Ranma seems to realize this and is fighting it, as best he can. So things will probably turn out all right in the end.

I'll point out a couple of other minor errors which may or may not relate to how applicable this story is to the canon. First, Akane and Ranma are the same age, so although I'm not sure if you intended for "baby" Akane and toddler Ranma to be the same age, they should have been. Second, according to the Anime, Akane's mother died when she was "four or five". We know for a fact Akane was old enough to walk when her mother was still alive, because we see this in her flashbacks to that time. While it's harder to nail down exactly when Ranma's training trip began, I consider it most likely that it is around that same time, somewhere between four and six. Any younger, and it would have been extremely dangerous for Ranma to be training that intensely.

I'm also not sure about the idea that Nodoka was the one that cut off contact with Soun and the Tendo family. For one thing, Soun doesn't even KNOW Nodoka. I actually went and verified that myself, for my own story. He doesn't recognize her (he thinks a delivery woman is Genma's wife) and doesn't even recognize her name. I consider it more likely that Nodoka forbid Genma to stay in contact with Happosai, and that led to Soun and Genma parting ways. However, Soun and Genma got back together to imprison Happosai, and this seems to take place after Akane's birth, because Happosai knows her name when he first escapes.

Outside of those details, it is an interesting story, definately well written, and very realistic in its pacing and emotional depth. Take my verbosity here as a sign that you did make me think. :D I really felt sorry for Nodoka and the attention she got for having Ranma-chan's red hair and blue eyes, and could see why she either dyed her hair, or encouraged it to darken naturally on its own. The color of Nodoka's hair in the Anime is intriguing, it is not a natural color, but is somewhere between the red or Ranma's female form, and the dark purple of his male form. This to me confirms that Ranma's female form is not a random person who drowned in that spring, but Ranma's own genetic "twin sister".