Reviews for Jason
Dragonsrule18 chapter 1 . 3/20/2011
Wonderful! Amazing job!
Psycho Tangerine chapter 1 . 8/8/2004
I've never seen the Outer Limits, but I was curious when I saw the term "autistic" in the summary. I thought it was a really good story. Sometimes I wonder what my autistic students are thinking. I never realized you were autistic yourself...I guess you're high functioning since you write so well.
Nickolaus Pacione chapter 1 . 3/24/2004
Stick to writing The Outer Limits because you are much better at doing this kind of work. Try your hand at writing an original story, then you can see what kind of talent you are capable of pulling off. I think you are really holding back what you are capable of as a Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy writer; step away from writing fanfiction and write some original horror or Science Fiction - you were writing fanfiction as long as I have been writing original horror, try your hand at writing original fiction. You might really have something there if you play around with it. Start up a site which is not a fanfiction site, and use that site to issue the work then try it out.
Devidramon chapter 1 . 7/6/2003
I liked the ending. It was very sweet and hopefully eye-opening to someone. Normal isn't always better, it's simply the way most people happen to be. Other ways are just as valid no matter what it looks like to those on the outside. True for autism and a lot of other things. Also, Einstein and Newton were supposed to be autistic, and Plato sometimes did that spacing out thing some autistic people do. His best ideas came to him while he was in that state. And most high-functioning autistics' intelligence is a somewhat above average in general. And the majority of autistics say they wouldn't want to be cured, either. I liked the way he illustrated that with the picture, and I knew just what he meant when he said he wanted to go home. I also like the way you use present tense, it's something you don't see every day.

Someone mentioned the positive effects of other mental illnessess, and I'd like to add another to the list: I've read the website of someone with multiple personality disorder (well, "someone" is the wrong word. As fascinating as I find MPD, I hate talking about it because of things like that being so darn frustrating.) Anyway, he says he finds it comforting, knowing all the others are right there with him. Other parts of the site are written by other personalities, and all three sound like perfectly normal, whole human beings, as real as you or I. Terms like "multiple personality disorder" or "split personality" and associated medical terminology range from inadequate to totally dead wrong to describe those three unique individuals who are as substantial as anyone I've ever met that had sole ownership of his or her body. And those were the three who ran the site; he says they stopped counting at about fifty. Anyway, even the freakier-sounding so-called 'illnesses' can be beautiful to the people living with them.
Meriah chapter 1 . 2/25/2002
This story is amazing ... I'm so glad someone besides me sees "mental illness" not as an illness, but as a gift. Depressives are gifted with empathy, schizophrenics have superior cognitive skills, and autistics, like you, are gifted with understanding the essential things in life. Thank you for writting this _
Vegeta2076 chapter 1 . 2/2/2002
Once again, high quality work. I give it an 8/10, maybe you could add on to it to give it even more depth, but what do I know, I'm no writer! I give most of the stories i Read 3's, 4's, and 5's so you can see I think you're talanted. The story makes people look at autism in a different way, and I'm sure anyone who reads this will look at low responsive autistics completely different,
Angel Negra chapter 1 . 1/7/2002
That's a very interesting concept for a story. I found the basic plot to be interesting and thought provoking.

I found that the story's voice was very dry. Lots of statements and lots of telling me what was happening rather then showing me.

There was no incentive to really care about the characters. Jason was the closest to an acutal character but a bit underdeveloped, while I found the others rather bland and uninteresting.

In a people interest story like this you have to *care* what happens. John should be someone the reader despises for what he's doing to Jason. If he really does love Mary despite his plan, you have to *show* it. We, the readers, have to beleive it.

Mary should be someone we can empathize with. Since many people wouldn't be able to relate to Jason, his mother Mary should be the focus. Is it hard for her to deal with her son? Does she love him despite everything? *Show* us. The impression I got from the story is that she often leaves her son with either a tutor or the tv for a babysitter. Not a very attentive parent.

There are ways to let people relate to Jason without actually getting into his head. Again, it's more *showing* then telling what's happening. We want to be able to cheeer Jason on, holler at Mary for trusting that bastard John, wish evil things on John, etc.

Also, the ending left me hanging. Why didn't the drugs work? It was too simple. Was it Jason's determination to stay in his 'world'? A simple chemical screw-up? What?

I felt that Jason reverting to his previous state would have been more effective if sufficiant time/changes had been allowed. Like the movie with Elisabeth Shue about autism, where the operation turned her into a normal human.

If Jason had been pulled out of his 'world' totally and it was shown just how many problems he had adapting. Like relating to his peers, dealing with every day occurances. Maybe he finds our world too scary? Just doesn't like change and resists with everything he's got, despite wanting to make his mom happy. Or he wants to go back to his 'world' because the new pressures his mom puts on him are too great.

Anything. Something large would make Jason's reverting more dramatic and carry a greater impact.

Well, like I said. I love the concept. :)
TREYnME chapter 1 . 11/9/2001
very good. this story was just awesome. sweet writing techniques. any chance of a second chapter?
Tanen chapter 1 . 6/26/2001
Great story! I always loved the theme, 'don't mess with nature,' I couldn't agree with you more. Keep it up!
Blitz chapter 1 . 5/11/2001
If everything in an autistic person's world is amplified, then wouldn't that mean they're more "alive" than "normal" people? After reading this, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of people with autism. I want to know what it's like to be autistic, but that would be like describing a blue sky to someone who's never seen it.
Starprincess chapter 1 . 5/8/2001
Wow. This story leaves me speechless. You describe all of the people in this story as if it was real life.
Anon chapter 1 . 3/29/2001
This is an acceptional and original tale you have woven. It is moralistic and works as a sensitive character study. Congrats on posting this enlightening story.
Jena' Galifany chapter 1 . 12/16/2000
Very well written and also very educational and thought provoking. The most important question about any experimental medication or procedure has been brought forward, "At what Price?" Excellent story. My thanks to the author.
Palafyndra chapter 1 . 11/2/2000
Wonderful story. In this society, 'different' is too often considered 'bad.'