Reviews for This Time
BenRG chapter 1 . 8/12/2014
I strongly suspect that this might be one of the possible outcomes of TLoU2. Sort of like the end of Mass Effect, you'll get multiple choices and I've got the feeling this, or something like it, will be one of them.

"Did that really happen?"

"Something like it, yes. This all happened long ago and many of the details are uncertain."

"Oh... Grandpa, tell me another story of Ellie, The Saint of the Survivors."

"It's getting late but... Okay, one more story..."
Guest chapter 1 . 10/25/2013
This plot is wierd. Ellie is all grown up, she has a kid, a husband and a father and then she goes looking for the fireflies? Now that she has a proper family? Dats sum nonsense right there
ArtemisGrim chapter 1 . 10/6/2013
Perfect age for her to go too! Great job!
SNeptune21 chapter 1 . 6/30/2013
All I can say is

A fitting end, indeed.
Alexandra the Hedgehog chapter 1 . 6/29/2013
Oh, God, I'm crying and I don't even know why D:

discordchick chapter 1 . 6/25/2013
I cried. This was wonderful. I like that she was able to live her life, but ended up saving the world as well. I like Joel's reasoning for lying as well. He was thinking like a dad.
AM78 chapter 1 . 6/22/2013
Pretty good hypothetical scenario for what could happen after the ending. The characters all seemed accurate and were depicted just as they acted in the game. I especially liked the "I love you, you selfish asshole". That totally seems like what Ellie would say.

I liked your explanation for how the infected share a certain bond. That perfectly answers the question of why they never attack each other. Most shows and stories don't deal with this issue at all so it was nice to see you address it.

I also liked her explanation for why she came to her choice, and how being a parent herself played such a key role. And she was right, she's an adult now so it is her choice to make, and I was glad you had Joel accept it.

Still though, Ellie seems a bit overconfident about the results. What makes her think she can get back to Salt Lake City alive? After all, they barely made the last time. And how does she know the Fireflies are still there? They could have abandoned the place like they did with Eastern Colorado University. And how does she know they will recognize her as an adult? They might not and just shoot her down on sight.

But even if she makes it there unscathed, she still doesn't know if the operation will produce the vaccine. That was just needed to make the attempt. There was never any assurance it would work.

Most of all though, even if a vaccine is produced, it's wishful thinking to assume it will save humanity on its own. How will the Fireflies mass produce it? Even if they could produce enough for the entire world's population, how would they distribute it? Are they just going to go to each city shouting, "Hey everyone, we've got a vaccine! You can all stop raping, robbing, pillaging, murdering and cannibalizing each other now!"

I'm not saying the vaccine would not help. It certainly would, but it would take a lot more then that to bring humanity back from the verge of extinction, and the process would be gradual, so really Ellie's viewpoint on this seems like wishful thinking. There is nothing wrong with Ellie being overly optimistic (after all if you are going to give your life for something, you want to think it will produce great results. But I do think Joel would consider all these points and bring them up when trying to convince her not to go.

Very touching ending by the way. You really did a great job driving home the moral of the story and giving this a tragic yet hopeful conclusion.
BenignViewer chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
Joel's decision was... Dark. I wouldn't nessecarily say it was wrong, or even selfish - in the tradtional sense. No Ellie was a girl who had put her trust in him to look out for her, to never leave her, a trust she earned during the events of the Winter Act, where she cared for Joel, and cemented their bond. Thus he put his life on the line for her's, valuing her life above his own, not some selfish desire to assuage his own guilt by using her life as a second chance at the family he lost. I personally believe after completing the game that in Joel's head he was hoping the Fireflies would stop him (for humanities sake) while in his heart of hearts being unable to NOT try and save her, as her father.
I would contend that deep parental bonds (such as those Joel and Ellie formed) are one of the most selfless motivators. That his choice appeared selfish is a testament to the Game's development. Joel's lying to her at the end hints at the truth of this - you might say he doesn't want her to think ill of him, or it might be that he was pretecting her from the guilt he now lives with.

Whether or not Ellie would choose to sacrifice herself, I am not sure - however, despite it being for the 'greater good' of humanity, if the Fireflies truly were the hope of the people, they would most certainly not arbitrarily decide to end a girl's life without her (or her parent figure's) consent. The Fireflies had every opportunity to not only let Ellie recover and actually talk to her (and let Joel talk to her too) before trying to kill her. They could even wait for her to reach her age of majority, if they were truly going to be just in their actions. I don't blame them for the actions they took - it was keeping to character for the mysterious organization - but neither do I think that they were right. They were going to, in essence, murder a 14 year old girl, in the hope that her death would previde them their precious vaccine - it certaintly wasn't guaranteed.
So I do not believe the Fireflies actions were arbitrarily right, nor Joel's arbitrarily wrong, but both have heavy consequences, and the decision was a dark one to make, whether it went Joel's way or the Fireflies'.

I have summed my thoughts on the game's vs. your characterizations, and I think on the whole this story has done an amazing job of reconciling Joel's past actions with Ellie's percieved future nature. The contemplations of living versus surviving were touching - sentiment in the vein of the great FFVII or, to a lesser extent, the concept in the latter (darker) Harrry Potter novels. A deft touch to be sure.
It did seem like the evolution of Ellie's connection to the infected, and the effect it allows her to have on them seemed like it was straight out of the Matrix part 2 and 3, to my mind. However, the seemless integration of the concept was a very clever and unique way of allowing Ellie to make the choice to save humanity, and worked so very well with the flow of this one shot.
The grammar is a little sketchy in places, spelling and punctuation being especially noticeable in short fics, but the style of writing overall is fantastic - captivating and enriching the reader on top of the story and cahracters that have already captivated and enriched us as gamers.

All the best;

P.S. BenignViewer is my real FF username if you want to PM me or reply. Sorry about this not signed review, some kind of webpage error is preventing it.
Skeleturd chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
I really enjoyed this one-shot. It was heartening, reading this. I really liked how you portrayed Joel in particular, him being an old, almost defeated shadow of what he once was. I am hoping this isn't the last of deep meaning one-shots, good job!
kuntakintae chapter 1 . 6/19/2013
Very heartbreaking, but i loved it either way :) its a good ending
JustAnotherHuman chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Really nice story!
Miss Effie T chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Loved it! You really captured the special connection between Joel and Ellie. I also really liked how much detail you put into everything that was going on around them. Nicely done.
Potterology chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
And I cried and my tears were blood at this piece of PERFECTION. Seems like you and I had the exact same reaction to the ending. Joel's choice was selfish and wrong but it was a fathers choice.
Princess Unikitty chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
very well written for the most part except for the fact that some sentences do not end with punctuation marks- you might want to fix that.
LittleSlytherin394 chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Oh, man. This was beautiful. I might be crying over here. This is what I imagined might eventually happen in Joel and Ellie's future. Really nice work!