Reviews for Softly
Lilybud chapter 1 . 10/21/2014
What a beautiful story! This is the most realistic and well-written portrayal of Frederick and Cordelia I've read so far! It was never corny, and the pacing was perfect!
Prussian Red chapter 1 . 4/4/2014
;_; I don't even ship this that much, but my God, this is wonderful. Frederick, you patient, meticulous, martyr. This piece made me ache, but in a good way.
aestheticisms chapter 1 . 1/16/2014
godddd, i was rec'd this fic by a friend, and i am so so so glad she did. this was an incredible evaluation of cordelia and frederick's married life, and it just, ruins me.

i am ruined, absolutely ruined.
kittykatloren chapter 1 . 12/23/2013
This is making me like Frederick/Cordelia more and more. I was surprised, finishing their support, that it wasn't sappy mutual love (a lot of the other ones are) but a more realistic union. Unfortunately I could see so many ways that it could have an unhappy ending - but this seems perfect. You have both of their characters spot-on. I love all of Frederick's little habits, and Cordelia's description of *wanting* to be in love but just not there - I totally connect with that, haha. I predict that it's Severa's birth that will change some things. Maybe that's when Cordelia will be able to say "I love you" for the first time!
Wavering Libra chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
This was terrible. I loved it.
My brother had a Cordelia/Lon Zu (in French) S support, and I didn't really use her (it was Sumia, for my first game...). But I have read all Frederick's supports (he's my favorite character) and I found it strange Cordelia didn't fall in love with him like she did with the swordmaster, though I thought... somehow it made more sense that way...

You described their relationship so reallistic! And so in character! For me, they can't react differently. I felt as sad for the poor Frederick as for Cordelia. (The every night "good night, I love you" made me shed a tear...
I don't know what to say. You did good job. Really.

Thanks for that moment.
(Ps: Excuse my English for it isn't my language...)
Nicola chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
THIS is why I love this pairing! I feel like the whole awkwardness is so...real! It's not a typical pairing:the two each have their own concerns, but manage together. This reminds us that love can exist in a much simpler way. Sometimes, you might just miss it if you don't look for the signs...It isn't always OMNOMNOMN! Beautifully written, and I agree with all of the positive things anyone else has said! A joy to read.
selenia-sopheria chapter 1 . 7/10/2013
I don't think any words can justify how beautifully stunning this piece is. I dislike Frederick/Cordelia, but I found myself enjoying this because of your superb writing style. And now I'm leaving with a little less hatred towards the pair, because this is very realistic, and perhaps the only reason why I disliked it in the first place is because their relationship was never expanded on after marriage. But this made me lighten up to it... very much so. Gorgeous one-shot.
TheFreelancerSeal chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
I wasn't sure which one of your stories I would read and review first, but I picked this one. I have to say I'm glad I did. It's a very well done story.

It has the sadness of Cordelia's unrequited love for Chrom and having to live like that even though she married Frederick. She's married a man she doesn't love, and then she wonders if she ever could love at all. That's big. But I like that this ends on a happy note. I mean, she's not there yet, but I can tell she's learning to love him. I think that's pretty sweet. She comes to realize that love isn't what she always thought it would be.

It's a very good story. Then again, I don't think I've ever expected anything else from you.

Well done.
Sentury chapter 1 . 6/27/2013
This was a very odd story, and I mean that in the regard that it was not something I expected. However, I find it just as oddly appropriate because I've always found it a little bit strange that Cordelia can just shift from being in love with Chrom to loving one of her other companions. I think still though he relationship in this story felt a little bit awkward, which I'm sure it was supposed to, but I would have like to of seen some reason as to why Cordelia married Fredrick if she didn't love him.

Aside from that though I loved this. Particularly the part about future Sereva where you have Cordelia state along the lines that what ever the future was, it wouldn't be that any longer. This seems very her. and I enjoyed hearing her say that whatever wrongs she did in that world, she wouldn't let them happen here.

Fredrick was wonderfulin this story. I was laughing at almost everything he did and he was the perfect mixture of a dutiful husband (which I feel he certainly would be) and a loving partner. I liked the way he approached his relationship too, I am always amazed at the way you are able to humanize characters and even do it in way where Fredrick, certainly not the main character here, kind of steals the show with what he says and does.

["What should I want, then? Should I demand love—measure yours to ensure that it is equal to mine? Should I demand that you let me have you every night in the name of procreation or to satisfy my own desires?"]

I loooooved this! Honestly I keep just saying it in my head. I feel like this is something people really do a lot when they're in love. Because you want to feel loved - everyone does - but I really like how Fredrick is just content loving Cordelia because he knows he can't force her to love him and instead must let her find her own way.

Great story, not a huge fan of the pairing, but I think you did both characters justice and came away with a very enjoyable and well-written piece of work.

All best,
S-Money
O'Ylia chapter 1 . 6/24/2013
(I am /so/ late. Apologies.)

Dear lord, your voices for Cordelia and Frederick kill me - they're both wonderful people and my heart squeezed into itself to watch her heart open up to him, all up to that absolutely _beautiful_ line, "I know you", to the bit where she kisses him...! (I need to stop before I melt into unintelligible goo and that's besides the point), But honestly, my favourite part is Frederick - the one who's been superhumanly patient all this time - tells HER to be patient. It's.. it's just incredible, and really opens up the way for the rest of the story. It makes me cheer Cordelia on all the more when she realises she misses him, and then to know Frederick will find his happy ending at last - I'm setting off metaphoric fireworks here.

You express their emotions so well, with just the right amount of restraint because they're both such disciplined soldiers wrestling with feelings they're doing their best to manage. There's also that combination of dialogue and description, pathos and lightheartedness at the end that I adore in this. Amazing, amazing job!
Mark of the Asphodel chapter 1 . 6/23/2013
["I guess you can't sleep on your stomach anymore," he said.

"I suppose not."

"Is there anything I can do that will help you sleep?"]

This was full of very nice scenes that capture the mundane (my own husband prefers the term "quotidian") moments that make a relationship work, or not. I felt really awful for Frederick for a good chunk of this- even if he's a bit odd himself with the OCD moments and all that, I cannot IMAGINE dealing with a one-sided relationship like at at close quarters, for so long... voluntarily. Without coming to loathe the other person. But instead of making a falling-out-of-infatuation 'fic out of this problematic couple, you pulled off a pretty convincing falling-into-love story, and the way they came together in the end really rang true. The moment when Cordelia realized she missed him totally worked, IMO.

Severa's role also worked.
numb-butt chapter 1 . 6/22/2013
This was simply exquisite, I loved every moment of it. I especially enjoyed how it wasn't a story that involved the straightforward "I'm in love with you!" aspect, I like how it takes times to fall in love for Cordelia. The story was rather realistic and the characterizations were wonderful, fantastic job. :)
Amielleon chapter 1 . 6/22/2013
I liked the progression of the story. And it made sense of Cordelia/Frederick, which is always a plus. I did feel like it was a bit meandering, but so's Cordelia I suppose.
FFXIBlueMage chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
This is just great. :D
Sinuhe chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
HNNGGGGGGGGHHHH! Right in the feels, man. Right in the feels.