Reviews for Rue's Guide to Mary Sues
SheerwaterPhoenix chapter 1 . 5/31
Once I got this tribute named Ravenna.
Ravenna is not a District name.
Not even District One.
Do not name your tribute Ravenna.
ExpertofKnives chapter 1 . 2/17
Thanks for the Marcuse guide! I know a story where the main character is a marysue- Run
So true. One time I read a THG fanfiction and the character was like-

"My name is Shimmer! I'm the best fighter in all of Panem! I can use every weapon and have even created my own! I'm super pretty and popular, and I get all the boys. I'm really rich and smart. As well as being the best fighter in Panem, I'm also the smartest in Panem! Expect me to win!"

BOOOOORRRIIING. #marysuealert #ohno
TheOneWhoRisesUp chapter 1 . 2/8
Thanks! THis is a cool guide :*
Guest chapter 1 . 6/18/2014
Can you do Mary Sue dialogue next?
SomeDays chapter 1 . 5/28/2014
This was awesome, I've put it on my profile alongside my SYOT form ;D I'm hoping some people get the hint...Looking back at my very first submission. She was pretty bad but I have seen worse sent to me and it sucks. Like, I don't get how you're meant to write as that character at all...
hungergamesareamazing5516 chapter 1 . 3/9/2014
Thanks for this, Im working on a SYOT and recieved a few Mary Sue's. I just asked the creators permission to change them a bit and alk was well. :-)
And now, the Mary Sue names tgat I hace (adly) come across in other peoples storys... Im not kidding...
Sparkle Diamond- Ive seen this one WAYYYYY to many times. I mean, seriously, no ones last name is Diamond. And who the heck is going to name their baby girl Sparkle...
Tree. Literally, just Tree. I dont care if youre from the lumber district, and your hair (no joke) has alternating green and brown stripes. No one names their child tree. Period.

And finally, the one that I hate so, so, so, so, soooooo much.
Rose Evergreen. People, if your character is exactly like Prim, but is name Rose Evergreen... seriously, people will notice. Of course the Rose Evergreen I speak of was far more perfect then Prim. She could use weapons, but was sweet, kund, perfect, bla bla bla gag.

Alright, rant over. But those are the Mary Sue names I hate.
Stil... Tree?
HungerG94 chapter 1 . 2/3/2014
Catastrophic bitch fight... gag me with a spoon... This is both informative and hilarious.
PrincessCeliel chapter 1 . 1/20/2014
This was beautiful! The tips were amazing, not just for fanfiction but for writing outside of The Hunger Games as well. This also made me laugh a billion times. Good work, and keep writing!
emi a diamond in the rough chapter 1 . 1/15/2014
Lol, this reminded me so much of my first SYOT form. It had no detail, said nothing about his district. He sucked. xD The story he was submitted to was also taken down.

I made another pretty crappy backstory before.

Anyway, I love this! Must have to refer this to people before they submit. Thank you XD
TimeWolfSaphira chapter 1 . 11/27/2013
Although I am not a huge Hunger Games fan, I thought this guide was very lovely. It might help me develop characters so they don't wind up as Mary-Sues. Thanks for this guide!
arizteageek chapter 1 . 11/26/2013
hi, this was really good advice! if you dont mind, or if you have time, it would be great if you could take a look at my story and critique it please :) i am a new fanfic writer
Guest chapter 1 . 11/20/2013
Do I need to relay the name that half of the reviewers have already written?
Random Reader 17 chapter 1 . 11/18/2013
I love this guide. I hate nothing more than a mary sue. When I was 12, I first got into writing, I did create a mary sue like but I was able to get better. Most mary-sues are typically people who are doing this for the first time. I remember once I did intentionally create a mary sue character (even the name was mary sue) for the sole purpose of her dying in the blood bath. The author found it hilarious.
This should be one everyone's favorites when they create a SYOT or SYOC. Perfect guide
Klicker'andKash chapter 1 . 10/20/2013
Oh, I notice that you said District one had blue eyes. Actually, they have bright green eyes, though I suppose that It's fine if you use blue...also, I just want to say another example of a mary-sue-twelve year old killers form district three who volunteer for absolute no reason, look awesome, are cunning, and have a talent with throwing knives.