Reviews for Color of Your Soul
jordanlink7856 chapter 35 . 9/15
I'm back to reading this after a year because Oh My God, this is one of the best Pokémon fanfics out there. Epic battles to leave you wanting for more, amazing and intricate character development and backgrounds, mixed with it's own personal charm with all the extra characters the Pokémon themselves add in. I'm pretty sure I went about reading this because I wanted to read a Hilbert x Hilda fic, but I did not expect it to be quite as amazing as this was. Hammed it up with the review, but I would definitely recommend this story if you wanted to read a sort of novelization of a journey through Unova.
m
TeamPiperM chapter 17 . 9/29/2016
VOLCARONA! NOOOOOOOOO!
yourmybff chapter 36 . 9/2/2016
Very interesting. I want to see how this story goes this time since the roles are reversed.
BLACK-BIRD76 chapter 36 . 8/23/2016
I really like you're idea it's great to see the story different like Hilda being the hero and Hilbert with team plasma
Lellll.skw chapter 29 . 7/5/2016
Nice dude hilbert and zekrom are awesome
BlackKuro23 chapter 36 . 6/17/2016
DUDE HILBERT IS CHAMPION OF UNOVA WTF ARE YOU TLAKING ABOUT?
BlackKuro23 chapter 33 . 6/17/2016
Damn Hilbert and his Zekrom doe
MoarBob chapter 36 . 6/14/2016
I've posted some positive words of this story in the review section for PoYS, but I haven't actually gone into much detail as to my thoughts on it, so I figured I might as well do it now.

The story didn't initially start off as anything special, coming across as a dime-a-dozen "retelling, only the protagonist has actual lines" Pokefic, (if better written than more... "amateur" works, for lack of a better term) with deviances from canon plots and characterization not being immediately obvious like Dawn in Platinum Witch or Nate in PoYS. After the slow start, however, the story really starts to shine when the deviances start making themselves known and the story starts putting its own spin on things, making the beginning well worth it. The fights are well written, suspense and drama are well built up when they need to be, the characters are well-rounded and possess flaws that get addressed for the most part, and the story is a well-constructed AU adaption of what the game depicts. There may be a few cases where one could say "OoC" from canon (like Skyla's attempted homicide over a bell, and arguably cussing in general), but I personally don't mind it for three reasons:
a) The games don't usually go into too much detail into the personality of the characters, which I think allows enough leeaway for people to write up their own interpretations of their character and still be semi-believable unless the change is completely radical (like, I don't know, making Jasmine a loud punk who engages in pugilism street brawls and swears like a sailor).
b) Characters have different depictions between official adaptions. Compare the personalities of some characters between the games, the anime, and the various manga like Pokemon Special/Adventures, and they'll likely seem like almost completely different people between them. Especially Sabrina, for example.
c) It's an AU anyway. Some liberties are to be expected. Why bother to complain?

If there's one aspect of the story I can't help but dislike, it's Hilda - specifically, after certain plot developments. (SPOILER ALERT, FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T FINISHED THE STORY AND YET ARE LOOKING AT REVIEWS FOR SOME REASON)

So throughout the story, Hilda has pummeled and humiliated the heroes as she worked for Plasma (which is understandable given circumstances, don't get me wrong), shown a plethora of manipulative behaviors, given a lot of verbal lashings to Cheren and Bianca, implanted bombs into Hilbert's close friends in order to blackmail him into switching sides, openly threatened and strongly considered to detonate said bombs on more than one occasion (and in Bianca's case, over minor reasons), and admitted to going behind N's back in her actions. For a villain, this is acceptable behavior; we're not SUPPOSED to agree with her actions. Sure, we're meant to believe she's redeemable, but it's not an impossible notion to consider if later events demonstrate it.

The problem is when she eventually switches sides and she's supposed to be seen as heroic. There's no problem with her going against Plasma since she has a genuinely sympathetic backstory and proper motivation. However, it still often feels like she still got off a little... TOO easy. She has a laundry list of sins and grievances to atone and repent for, and yet
- She retains her nearly flawless win-record (against those not named Ghetsis, anyway).
- She still gets the boy when anyone else would file a restraining order at the mildest-case-scenario (even accounting of their shared past, Hilbert fell for her while he was still unaware of their history).
- Her most heinous actions aren't given the attention they deserve (people pointing out her obession were mostly brushed off or ignored or put aside for other subjects, attention was given to Hilbert angsting about something he wasn't fully in control over - because of her bombs - and he let her hug him in chapter 25(?) but flinched away from Cheren, implying what he did was worse than what Hilda did even if that wasn't the intention, etc.).
- She's forgiven pretty easily by the others because of the aforementioned boy, and doesn't quite feel like she's gone through a proper redemption as a result.
- She doesn't receive much of a comuppance or otherwise having karma come back to bite her. In fact, she even gains a legendary on the team, even if it was because of an act of kindness.
- You can argue that everyone had bigger things to worry about at the time (and the enemy of my enemy is my friend) but during the "post-game" chapters when everything else is wrapped up, she gets to tag along with Hilbert while acting chummy with everyone.

Aside from my problems with Hilda (and trivial pet peeves of mine that are not worth mentioning), however, I still think highly of this story, and would gladly recommend it to other would-be readers. And of course, I'm looking forward to what the sequel series has in store for us. Two thumbs up.
SebatadeS chapter 33 . 5/28/2016
h
Guest chapter 15 . 5/28/2016
The Phantom is actually a level 100 Smeagle
Guest chapter 2 . 5/28/2016
Is he Hilbert Potter, the Trainer Who Lived?
TheDarkMaster4000 chapter 36 . 5/7/2016
First, sorry to hear about the updates for your stories being lost and recommend you take your time with them because I know what it's like to lose updates to stories since it happened before, and it's draining. Second, I like this idea. I like how it would based off the other game version, and making the characters have opposite roles is genius. I don't know, I like a lot of things when it comes to characterization and one of those things, is turning good guys into 'bad' guys or antagonists. Of course, I'm not saying I want Hilbert to become as corrupt as either Hilda or worse, Nate, was in your stories, but seeing him being in Team Plasma from the start, (or close enough to it anyway), would be interesting to read. I guess what I mean to say, is I'd like them to kept their defining personalities, but they now have opposite roles. I would love to see the story of CoYS with role-swap, and would love to see it explored more in the future. Not now though obviously, since you are having to juggle through 3 stories, AND rewrite the updates to them. My only question on this, (And I don't know if I should really ask it here since it's a question on PoYS but...), would be if you do decide to go ahead with this, would there be one for PoYS too? I'd personally DO ANYTHING to see that! Seeing Nate with the protagonist role and Rosa with the antagonistic role would be hilarious to see in my opinion, assuming they kept their defining personalities. Once again, I feel your pain in terms of losing work. Hope to hear from you soon.
User Name Retracted chapter 36 . 5/5/2016
That AU idea would be pretty interesting. If you do decide to do it you could even do some type of crossover between Black and White such as some kind of dimensional disruption at Entralink that causes everyone to meet each other's alternate selves. I'm probably getting too far ahead of myself. Regardless, the AU would be interesting to read if you choose to make it.