Reviews for Just A Little Bit
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 6/8/2014
Haymitch is one of my favorite characters, and I really like how you handled this. I really like the sort of bond that Haymitch and Maysilee had going on during their time in the Arena. You made it very believable.

I think my favorite part of this was the fact that Haymitch ran towards her when he heard her scream. It shows that he's not just a drunken bastard; that he did care about people once upon a time. So I liked seeing that he did care about people. And I loved the fact that he still doesn't know why he ran to her; he could've died doing so, but he ran anyways.

My only criticism is that the numbers felt odd. It stopped it from flowing for me. But otherwise, this was a wonderful piece. Great job!
Chasing Silmarils chapter 1 . 1/5/2014
This was a wonderful story of Haymitch and Maysilee's friendship throughout the Games. :)
I don't know why, but I found it ironic that Maysilee went to the poison and plant stations in the Training Center, considering that their arena had poisonous plants (well, poisonous a lot of things, really).
Their exchanges at the beginning, especially the Opening Ceremony, were nice. :)
The ending was sad and sweet at the same time.
Anyway, this was great! Nice job! :D
Ninazadzia chapter 1 . 1/1/2014
I really liked this.
I'm a sucker for good Haysilee, and that's exactly what this was. I absolutely /loved/ your characterization of Maysilee; I thought it was very real and believable. Haymitch's character had its usual snark and angst, so I thought you nailed that. I have no complaints.

I especially loved that final blurb, where you talk about how their hearts were knotted together, at least a little bit. Out of context that line would've seemed like a leap, but I thought that you very subtly implied his respect and (albeit minor) attraction towards her.

Very, very nicely done!
xx Nina
MockingjayWithFangs chapter 1 . 1/1/2014
It was certainly an emotional piece and I think what made it stand out was Haymitch's emotional confusion in regards to Maysilee, they were in a deadly game he wasn't going to just adore her. The fact he want her to be happy he won was heartbreaking. Good job, this was great.
madworlds chapter 1 . 9/30/2013
*wails* Oh, no, Johanna. :'( Sheesh. It makes me incoherent. I just - I can't - idek.

I adore this, even though I knew it was going to be depressing because Haymitch/Maysilee is almost always depressing, but :( So sad ... I absolutely hate and love you for writing this because ahhhhhh :(

But two things. One: Tense changes happened a lot. You sort of switched from past to present and then back again. It wasn't too bad, and didn't really detract too much from the story, but it was a little confusing.

Two: THIS. [He leaves before he can feel the hand turn cold.] Nononononono. That is all.

Lils xx
bloodbuzz chapter 1 . 9/13/2013
...this was just...
... I...
... I don't have anything to say, except...
... I hate you...
Estoma chapter 1 . 6/27/2013
So glad you entered the one shot challenge as well; I didn't want to be the only entry again :)

I quite liked this; Haymitch is an interesting character to read about.

Just here: [By that afternoon they're allied.] You change the tense from past to present for the rest of the story. It's quite disconcerting, and I'd consider making it all one tense. There doesn't seem to be a reason for the shift either.

[It's a strange alliance, because they're both just using the other to survive.] Is it? Aren't all alliances just about trying to survive?

Nice work Johanna!