Reviews for The World Needs Champions
PantheraTigr chapter 26 . 4/5
I must say that this whole series is, technicaly, one of the best fics I have ever read. And I have read a LOT of fics. It was never boring, it was never rushed and, most importanty, it never slipped to fanfic stereotypes.

You have my thanks and my respect, for writing this story (by "this story" I mean the whole series). I am definitely looking forward for any of your future HTTYD (or other) works.

tl;dr 6/5 internets, LEGENDARY STORY.
Rhyssie Lachance chapter 19 . 11/20/2013
Found a couple small typos. One, when Cervantes is in the abandoned house he mentions that the table can still hold 'weigh'. Should this be 'weight'? Two, a few paragraphs later he says the alchemist could destroy him 'toot sweet'. I think that you mean to say 'tout suite', a french saying. Great story, I will be sad when I am done reading it.
Rhyssie Lachance chapter 7 . 11/19/2013
I love this story and I really enjoy reading it, but there is one thing that is getting increasingly annoying. I don't know if you've noticed, but you keep confusing Ruffnut and Tuffnut. It is a minor concern, but it makes conversations difficult to follow. I would really appriciate it you checked for that before posting chapters. As I said, I really love this story and I hope you continue it to its completion. Thank you for writing! : )
MarkPol chapter 26 . 11/16/2013
I will continue here:
Frankly i am more interested in your original characters. Who will become new Hyperion? How life of Nestor and Saga will look like? What of Cervantes? And mine favorite - Quiao and her quest to find who she really is.
All in all - you gave us readers a real treat. I am sorry that this dont have as many reviews as other works but I am not sorry for you. I am sorry for them, as they missed on something truly amazing.
Cant wait to hear/read from you again.
Take care!
MarkPol chapter 26 . 11/16/2013
First of all - sorry for not reviewing much on Desolation and finale but as you may notice. English is not my first language.
I would like to thank you for delivering one of the most interesting thing I ever read. Seriiusly this is astonishing piece of work. Of course there are some mistakes but those pale in comparison with outstanding plot, magnificent character development and great original characters.
Seriously, plot represents a bestseller book or movie screnplay. Of course there are some clishe ideqs for plot developments but which movie or book dont have them?
I really hope that you would start writing soon. Frankly I care more for your orginal characters - who wo
Whitefang333 chapter 21 . 11/11/2013
Great way of showing a bit different Hiccup that seems to be popular in the fandom, one who is rebelious and hates Berk because his tribe "does not understand his ways and bullies him constantly etc". Hiccup learning about responsibility to his people is a good touch that I always fully support as I am tired of portraying him as a hormonally-imbalanced contemporary teenager.
On the other hand we have our favourite metal-dragon talking abomination. Smart move by trying to kill Hiccup Although Toothless was left alive through the use of weak attack and why Dark Star did not use her most powerful attack to kill her enemy if given a chance. Again, the plot-device is very obvious here.
Whitefang333 chapter 20 . 11/11/2013
I wanted to wait for the story to finish before commenting on it. Adding a twist with politics and a bit of cooperation outside the circle of our heroes is a good idea. It was just enough to explain the situation better and that some things can't be done only through the power of a few. Cervantes being unobservant is also a good addition although having only one being spying on him is a bit stretched as Alchemist have a whole army. With so many soldiers I thought that she would find more able people than a surplus of bowling pins ready to be rolled over by the Champions. What is like however is that Cervantes is shown as a simply, psychopathic, power-hungry guy with too much power and he is weaker than Alchemist. Still, such little attention to a ex-necromancer who can possibly have direct control over the most dangerous weapon in the world seems forced and cries: plot-device in progress. Let the bad guy be alone so he can come up with a bad plan to screw everything up. Moving along.
Tagesh chapter 26 . 11/10/2013
Good grief- where do I start? To open, I had forgotten about the episode with Adon teaching Nester to expand his field. What a way to bring that back in, but still pull it out after! It's good to see he "could get used to" having a home and And the final scenes between Cervantes, The Alchemist and Arc. So well written- I felt I had to re-read these chapters a couple times to get all that you put in. Whether this was your most popular story or not, the effort you put into "Champions" is definitely appreciated.

But The Alchemist's final words to Qiao which bring up her true, unintended effect- that to make a better world she helped unite the Champions to avoid barbarism, really got me thinking. Several of the characters comment on a better world, even Cervantes hints as much as he's still around to control it. If the Alchemist planned it or not, I agree that idea of "fighting a mutual foe" is often what finally brings groups together. "Now the trumpet summons us again- to a long twilight struggle..." against tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself, as J. Kennedy said, "Can we forge against these enemies a grand and global alliance."
You are right, I think, the world sometimes does need Champions.

I hope you do get a chance to write out more of your stories, and know I'll be looking forward to them.
Cheers, T.
-who had also forgotten the letter Hiccup sent. Great you tied that up at the end!
-and who is glad that Arc still has /some/ secrets up his sleeve... er, scales.
Tagesh chapter 24 . 11/9/2013
Poor Adonis. I thought he was a great character from the first time you described him halfway up a mountain speaking with Arc- both as he acted the Terror (glancing around for eagles) and threatening as well, in telling Arc what he'd do if the repository was opened.

I did open the music for the last chapter and would add that the final few minutes of that Hans Zimmer tune work well for this chapter, too. Along with the witty repartee I admire in your writing, I find adding the sounds of the dying ships really helps immerse me in the action. Great job- along with getting the twins interested in science.

-who mourns for Adonis.
givinglight chapter 26 . 11/8/2013
Oh my goodness I was up so late reading these final chapters last night I had to get some sleep before posting a review. What an incredible ending! That was some inspiring writing for sure. I was balling my eyes out at one point. The goodbye scene I thought was great, as you drew on themes from the original movie, putting Nestor in Hiccups' place. I'm also happy to see you left threads for new stories involving your OC characters. Perhaps Qiao will become the next Hyperion once she discovers how to take the form of a dragon? Then she and Arc could live happily ever :0) (Well, until Cervantes shows up again.) Reading this story gets me so excited for the new movie next summer. I love these characters and that you've stayed true to their personalities but also given them so much more depth with your stories. Thanks again for sharing your talent with the world through this medium.
Tagesh chapter 23 . 11/8/2013
Wow! Fantastic action (again) in this chapter and what a cliffhanger. Knew it would come to this, but didn't want to actually see Toothless and Darkstar square off. The hints here of just how few Fury's are left, and their meeting the previous evening, reminded me of the the Thomas Hardy poem of squaring off against someone on a battlefield you most likely would have bought a drink if met otherwise. War is tragic.
We'll see what's next, though.
Cheers, T.
-who appreciated you turning the line "It's who we are" against Hiccup.
Ferdoos chapter 26 . 11/8/2013
This has been an amazing ride. Your stories have been by far the longest, most epic and generally best stories I have ever had the joy of reading.

I hope we will see more of you in the future, maybe a short story of Astrid and Hiccup returning to Berk? I kinda want to read how her family reacts to her revival and of course their second marriage.

Untill we meet again.
Tagesh chapter 22 . 11/3/2013
Wow! I wanted to read this through a couple times before commenting- the action was that good! These scenes nicely bring together the snippets you've hinted at the last couple chapters as to what's planned (by all the characters) and now the end game really begins. The real wild card now is Cervantes.

However, the best writing here, IMHO, you reserve for Arc and his thoughts on constant living- that's quite an insight on the predictability of most heroic stories. I dimly recall someone saying that history is "people making the same foolish mistakes over and over again." But, I guess that's sort of the Alchemist's main gripe as well. Nice, though, that Archibald comes away from that perspective to a fundamentally different world-view.

I'm looking forward to the finale and all those still hanging questions. Cervantes must surface again sometime and won't the Alchemist be surprised with Dark Star.
Ferdoos chapter 22 . 11/1/2013
Fantastic chapter, can't wait for next week. That will be the last chapters right?
Tagesh chapter 21 . 10/26/2013
I'm just catching up with the last four chapters and again I'm glad to be immersed in the ride your story is giving the reader. Much more involving than reading one chapter at a week, and I am also very appreciative of the humour you throw in: Nestor knowing he missed /something/ and Cervantes thinking his encounter with Hiccup could have gone better.
Very well done.
Cheers, T.
-who is left contemplating the Toothless' encounter with Dark Star.