Reviews for The World Needs Champions
Plailect chapter 26 . 7/12

I ( u/Plailect) am the unofficial fanfiction reviewer for the r/httyd subreddit. I read an httyd fanfiction every couple weeks and write a review to talk about my thoughts and opinions. Each post includes a link to the next thing I'm reading so people can follow along and share their thoughts and the previous posts for people unfamiliar with my posts. I am going through the process of linking old posts to the authors as feedback. These are old and may be outdated now.

You can find your post here: r/httyd/comments/2udj7i/the_world_needs_champions_fanfiction_part_11_i_am/

Thanks for your time,
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 26 . 11/23/2014
An unquestionably superb series you have here; nice job.
From the beginning, your storyline for this series has been superb, with Hiccup and Astrid’s initial reluctance to take things further reflected as a natural hesitation to change their already-rapidly-altered relationship any more than they ‘have’ to while Hiccup himself is forced to explore the wider implications of the changes he’s made to Berk before they both learn just how much stranger the world is as a whole.
While the concept of the Seer’s visions introduced a bit of a question-mark at first- the Hyperions and the ancient lost civilisation allowed for some of the ‘rules’ to be bent, but visions didn’t quite seem to fit the HTTYD universe- it did result in some fascinating subsequent twists and developments, to say nothing of introducing an interesting new character to your storyline as she’s forced to act against her people to save them from a greater threat, subsequently joining a fascinating ‘team’ as they begin their quest (I still feel that Astrid being dragon-less was a potential problem, but I can understand how it happened given your ‘rules’ for the dragons).
The introduction of the Alchemist was also effective, giving us an interesting new villain while ensuring that she presented a contrast from Cervantes, seemingly genuinely interested in ‘protecting’ the world (Albeit by putting herself in charge of everything, no matter how she presents it) where Cervantes just wanted personal power and was using that line as an excuse to justify it. Her ‘access’ to an augmented Night Fury is a particularly effective twist, making the group’s confrontations with her particularly personal as all the advantages offered by Toothless’s natural skills are so effortlessly countered and negated, to say nothing of Toothless forced to face his own isolation all over again as the only other member of his race he may ever meet acts against him and his ‘adopted’ family (His choice might be made quickly, but that wouldn’t make it easier).
The aftermath of the Repository confrontation also worked, allowing each of the group to establish their skills as individuals rather than a unit, ranging from Nestor’s discoveries to Hiccup’s ‘vision quest’ and the remaining Dragon Riders’ issues back on Berk (As well as giving Nestor some new insight into Hiccup’s background), to say nothing of providing a plausible twist to explain Astrid’s survival without making it too cliché (Luck might play a part, but only up to a point).
Of course, it’s in the final confrontation that your story really shines; they’re up against superior numbers with only their dragons as a real advantage, facing an enemy with disturbing similarities to Hiccup in particular where the only real difference is that the Alchemist, for all her talk, doesn’t care about people even in an abstract sense (She might want to prevent future catastrophe, but there’s something fundamentally wrong with anyone who thinks that killing some now to stop more death later is a good idea), and even the return of some old allies can’t guarantee their victory (I was surprised that the twins came alone considering your earlier insight regarding dragons’ territorial instincts, but I guess the T-node allowed a loophole by taking the dragons outside their territory before they can get uncomfortable).
The Alchemist’s final plan is the kind of effective that only a psychopath could think of- destroying the world to ‘save’ it might work from her perspective, but she’s incapable of processing that what she’s doing would leave humanity merely existing rather than actually LIVING- and the final battle is also handled well, with Cervantes actually making it slightly easier as he saves the Champions having to make the hardest decisions (I’m sure you can guess what I’m referring to, but I don’t want to give away any spoilers to the readers), before everything concludes in a very satisfactory manner, as the heroes come together and overcome their adversary.
All in all, the only thing I would have really changed is the unfortunate absence of Astrid’s dragon, and you explained the ‘why’ of that one easily enough; keep up the great work!
AlphaSentry chapter 26 . 7/18/2014
What a series.
Your OCs are so much fun to read and learn about, they're flawed imperfect beings with great arcs throughout your series...I'm honestly more interested in a side sequel or story based on them then on Hiccup and Astrid.
This is my favorite series and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel.
Guest chapter 26 . 7/12/2014
I just finished the whole series (no life for a week) and I have to say this has to be one of my TOP 5 favorites for HTTYD. So thanks for this wonderful series.
PantheraTigr chapter 26 . 4/5/2014
I must say that this whole series is, technicaly, one of the best fics I have ever read. And I have read a LOT of fics. It was never boring, it was never rushed and, most importanty, it never slipped to fanfic stereotypes.

You have my thanks and my respect, for writing this story (by "this story" I mean the whole series). I am definitely looking forward for any of your future HTTYD (or other) works.

tl;dr 6/5 internets, LEGENDARY STORY.
TheCrazyTwins chapter 19 . 11/20/2013
Found a couple small typos. One, when Cervantes is in the abandoned house he mentions that the table can still hold 'weigh'. Should this be 'weight'? Two, a few paragraphs later he says the alchemist could destroy him 'toot sweet'. I think that you mean to say 'tout suite', a french saying. Great story, I will be sad when I am done reading it.
TheCrazyTwins chapter 7 . 11/19/2013
I love this story and I really enjoy reading it, but there is one thing that is getting increasingly annoying. I don't know if you've noticed, but you keep confusing Ruffnut and Tuffnut. It is a minor concern, but it makes conversations difficult to follow. I would really appriciate it you checked for that before posting chapters. As I said, I really love this story and I hope you continue it to its completion. Thank you for writing! : )
MarkPol chapter 26 . 11/16/2013
I will continue here:
Frankly i am more interested in your original characters. Who will become new Hyperion? How life of Nestor and Saga will look like? What of Cervantes? And mine favorite - Quiao and her quest to find who she really is.
All in all - you gave us readers a real treat. I am sorry that this dont have as many reviews as other works but I am not sorry for you. I am sorry for them, as they missed on something truly amazing.
Cant wait to hear/read from you again.
Take care!
MarkPol chapter 26 . 11/16/2013
First of all - sorry for not reviewing much on Desolation and finale but as you may notice. English is not my first language.
I would like to thank you for delivering one of the most interesting thing I ever read. Seriiusly this is astonishing piece of work. Of course there are some mistakes but those pale in comparison with outstanding plot, magnificent character development and great original characters.
Seriously, plot represents a bestseller book or movie screnplay. Of course there are some clishe ideqs for plot developments but which movie or book dont have them?
I really hope that you would start writing soon. Frankly I care more for your orginal characters - who wo
Whitefang333 chapter 21 . 11/11/2013
Great way of showing a bit different Hiccup that seems to be popular in the fandom, one who is rebelious and hates Berk because his tribe "does not understand his ways and bullies him constantly etc". Hiccup learning about responsibility to his people is a good touch that I always fully support as I am tired of portraying him as a hormonally-imbalanced contemporary teenager.
On the other hand we have our favourite metal-dragon talking abomination. Smart move by trying to kill Hiccup Although Toothless was left alive through the use of weak attack and why Dark Star did not use her most powerful attack to kill her enemy if given a chance. Again, the plot-device is very obvious here.
Whitefang333 chapter 20 . 11/11/2013
I wanted to wait for the story to finish before commenting on it. Adding a twist with politics and a bit of cooperation outside the circle of our heroes is a good idea. It was just enough to explain the situation better and that some things can't be done only through the power of a few. Cervantes being unobservant is also a good addition although having only one being spying on him is a bit stretched as Alchemist have a whole army. With so many soldiers I thought that she would find more able people than a surplus of bowling pins ready to be rolled over by the Champions. What is like however is that Cervantes is shown as a simply, psychopathic, power-hungry guy with too much power and he is weaker than Alchemist. Still, such little attention to a ex-necromancer who can possibly have direct control over the most dangerous weapon in the world seems forced and cries: plot-device in progress. Let the bad guy be alone so he can come up with a bad plan to screw everything up. Moving along.
Tagesh chapter 26 . 11/10/2013
Good grief- where do I start? To open, I had forgotten about the episode with Adon teaching Nester to expand his field. What a way to bring that back in, but still pull it out after! It's good to see he "could get used to" having a home and And the final scenes between Cervantes, The Alchemist and Arc. So well written- I felt I had to re-read these chapters a couple times to get all that you put in. Whether this was your most popular story or not, the effort you put into "Champions" is definitely appreciated.

But The Alchemist's final words to Qiao which bring up her true, unintended effect- that to make a better world she helped unite the Champions to avoid barbarism, really got me thinking. Several of the characters comment on a better world, even Cervantes hints as much as he's still around to control it. If the Alchemist planned it or not, I agree that idea of "fighting a mutual foe" is often what finally brings groups together. "Now the trumpet summons us again- to a long twilight struggle..." against tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself, as J. Kennedy said, "Can we forge against these enemies a grand and global alliance."
You are right, I think, the world sometimes does need Champions.

I hope you do get a chance to write out more of your stories, and know I'll be looking forward to them.
Cheers, T.
-who had also forgotten the letter Hiccup sent. Great you tied that up at the end!
-and who is glad that Arc still has /some/ secrets up his sleeve... er, scales.
Tagesh chapter 24 . 11/9/2013
Poor Adonis. I thought he was a great character from the first time you described him halfway up a mountain speaking with Arc- both as he acted the Terror (glancing around for eagles) and threatening as well, in telling Arc what he'd do if the repository was opened.

I did open the music for the last chapter and would add that the final few minutes of that Hans Zimmer tune work well for this chapter, too. Along with the witty repartee I admire in your writing, I find adding the sounds of the dying ships really helps immerse me in the action. Great job- along with getting the twins interested in science.

-who mourns for Adonis.
givinglight chapter 26 . 11/8/2013
Oh my goodness I was up so late reading these final chapters last night I had to get some sleep before posting a review. What an incredible ending! That was some inspiring writing for sure. I was balling my eyes out at one point. The goodbye scene I thought was great, as you drew on themes from the original movie, putting Nestor in Hiccups' place. I'm also happy to see you left threads for new stories involving your OC characters. Perhaps Qiao will become the next Hyperion once she discovers how to take the form of a dragon? Then she and Arc could live happily ever :0) (Well, until Cervantes shows up again.) Reading this story gets me so excited for the new movie next summer. I love these characters and that you've stayed true to their personalities but also given them so much more depth with your stories. Thanks again for sharing your talent with the world through this medium.
Tagesh chapter 23 . 11/8/2013
Wow! Fantastic action (again) in this chapter and what a cliffhanger. Knew it would come to this, but didn't want to actually see Toothless and Darkstar square off. The hints here of just how few Fury's are left, and their meeting the previous evening, reminded me of the the Thomas Hardy poem of squaring off against someone on a battlefield you most likely would have bought a drink if met otherwise. War is tragic.
We'll see what's next, though.
Cheers, T.
-who appreciated you turning the line "It's who we are" against Hiccup.