Reviews for Sympathy for the Devil
Awesome. Write more!
Vaughn Tyler chapter 1 . 2/27/2014
nice
Theony chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
In the beginning, this set of lines made me laugh:
"Uh-huh. Going without sleep tends to drive people crazy, but I'm guessing you don't see that as a problem."

"It's a feature, not a bug," Newt said, "

Later the story hooked me in neatly. Very powerful writing. I'm impressed.
mendesana chapter 1 . 8/4/2013
who's the father? lololo
2mrklr chapter 1 . 7/15/2013
Wow powerful - a fascinating Newt backstory. Very believable.
BloodxandxDaisies chapter 1 . 7/14/2013
While not particularly pretty, that was a really good explanation that would be viable enough to fit canon as to why Newt is the way she is; I never thought she was insane but she very well could be. This would explain a lot. Good story )
liatortilla chapter 1 . 7/10/2013
Plz update soon I'm so intrigued be this new side of newt.
Alara Rogers chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
Hey, guests, since neither of you signed in so I can't PM you, I guess I have to answer with a review. :-)

I'm not really a shipper. Both Al and Trent would be terrible for Rachel, which is exactly why she will probably end up with one of them given her track record :-), but I don't have to enable Rachel's bad habits. So no, neither of them is the father. I am leaning toward Ivy after a save-Ivy's-soul experiment with the assistance of a male witch goes horribly wrong and bodyswitches Ivy and the male witch until Rachel can figure out how to get them back to their own bodies, which given that the witch has no idea how to control vampiric urges is kind of totally necessary. But basically because I just think it would be awesome if Ivy was the father of the child, and since a. vamps and witches can't breed (I think) and b. if sex change spells made you fertile the demons would have turned some of their own into true women by now, I would need a bodyswap involved. (Jenks in large form would be hilarious but totally wrong for his and Rachel's friendship, also probably pixies can't breed with witches even if cursed to be human size.) This wouldn't mean Rachel and Ivy were together, because the whole problem with their doomed romance is that Rachel is 100% straight, which does not mean she would not bone Ivy in a hot second if Ivy were temporarily a guy and the guy whose body it really is was ok with it, but it does mean they'd be back to platonic super-friendship after the bodyswap was reversed, except now they are gonna have to raise a baby together. :-)

Other guest: A lot of what we hear contradicts a lot of other things we hear. We were told the elves left the ever after 2000 years ago, but we were also told that the demons were all forced through the lines by whatever the elves did to break the ever-after. We were told the elves killed all the women and we were told Newt killed all the women. We were told the elves are responsible for the offspring of demons being witches and we were told that demon women have double capacity for ley line energy so they can hold the aura of a demon within them... something humans would never have been able to do.

So here is how I reconcile it all. The elves weren't responsible for the offspring of demons being weak, they were responsible for the double-recessive demon offspring of those offspring dying before adulthood of Rosewood syndrome. The demons knew their children with human women would be weaker than they were, because human women can't hold two auras, but they also knew that every so often if those children mated with each other, the result would be a demon, so they still thought it was a good idea. What the elves did was to destroy that hope by infecting the children with the genetic template for Rosewood syndrome, so any child who could wield demon levels of energy would die in infancy or childhood.

Newt killed all the women after the elves had already drastically depleted the population, which means the elves were not living with the demons at the time she did it, otherwise they'd have known there were still women around. Whereas what they did to force all the demons through the ever after resulted in them never seeing a female demon again ever; Newt has no calling name and doesn't travel to our world much and doesn't look very femmy anyway. So the elves think they killed all the women, but the demons know it was Newt.

All the women died 5000 years ago because that is the length of time the demons say there have been no demon births. So I speculate that the elves and demons broke the ever after in their war and and the elves forced all the demons through the lines 5000 years ago, and that the elves are not actually themselves long lived enough to have totally accurate histories so Trent is just wrong about the timeline, unless "elves escaped the ever after" refers to a large group of slaves that managed to get away 2000 years ago and not the main bulk of the elves.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/29/2013
Hi, loved your story! Impatient to know who the father is. How ever I know that, you being the writter, that's for you to know and for me to wonder about :) Anyway, I got the feeling that whoever it is, they might not know yet. Plus it's not really relevant for the story. Still is a burning mistery though ;)
I do not mean to criticize you and please do not take this the wrong way, for all I know your changes to the story might be intentional. The thing is, in the series I got the impression that the ever after was created by demons when they tried to get rid of the elves, also in Ever after, Al is dreaming of the way they used to look and the way their Eden used to look (I took it as if it meant that their Eden was once the surface of the ever after). And it seems to me that she hints that their Eden was destroyed in the demons vs. elves war (coupled with humans bilding on the surface and it being mirrored in the Ever after, forever to be crumbling and building itself up as the tides in the leylines turn) and that's the raason it looks the way it looks now. Also, the witches are a byproduct of the curs the elves threw on the demons, something to stunt the demons capabilities to work curses and hold that much line energy. Also, it is said somewhere in the first books that the witches escaped the ever after 5000 years ago and the elves finally left it three thousand years ago or something like that.
Like I said, loved the story and for all I know the changes were intentional, but they were sort of a bee in my bonnet so I had to point them out.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/28/2013
Wow that was a really powerful story, it was such an interesting way to explain newts insanity. Your writing style is great and you've put a lot of thought into what you wrote. Please keep this story going! There's so many things I want to know. Who's the father, (Al or Trent)? How will Al and the other demons react? Do Rachel's friends know she's pregnant? How will the world react to her pregnancy?
GalileaMICKEY chapter 1 . 6/28/2013
The story Newt told Rachel is really terrible. It can explain Newt's insanity and the reason she threatened Al to not have sex with Rachel.
This fanfic was great even when the inner story wasn't so friendly. Nice job.