Reviews for Variations in the Key of Luke
Lemz chapter 25 . 7/27
guh if only they communicated this well on the goddamn show!
Lemz chapter 6 . 7/27
i am LOVING this story! I often find major character changes due to an AU storyline a little jarring, but your writing is still so true to Luke's character. Like you can totally see how he could have become this less-grumpy-world-traveller guy if he had different circumstances (ie a pregnant rachel) so soon after his father's death, but you've kept his values and his voice. Mad props!
amollie71 chapter 19 . 6/19
Just wanted to let me you know the story you wrote 5 yrs ago is still keeping someone up way past bedtime for the 2nd night in a row. I can't believe it was only your second JJ story. I like the long does more than the one shots. Thanks also to Meags09 (?) For now her curated just fanfiction page which has kept me reading for practically the past year. Forgoing my usual disliked of reading from a screen rather than an actual book. I'm almost done - I might have to go back to actual books soon.
sarah.reiniche chapter 27 . 5/7
Just when I thought I have read every superb story on this site, I find this story which blows everything else I have read out of the water. this is a wonderful story. I hope you continue to write. even if your not sharing it with everyone. you are a gifted story teller.
What a wonderful story. I just reread it and fell in love all over again. Not to be pushy- but you promised an epilogue. Still coming? I would love it!
mgjatc chapter 41 . 12/27/2017
I love this story. Thank you for writing it!
mrsksomeday chapter 1 . 11/26/2017
The story was fantastic and beautifully written. It is very sad that there is no epilogue or a sequel because it would be perfect for one.
PreviouslyAnonymous chapter 41 . 11/5/2017
This is a massive review for your massive story. TLDR; I love this, your writing is amazing, and please, please, please post the epilogue sometime!

I love the concept of this story! Personally I like to think this also illustrates what Luke probably would have done if Anna told him when she found out about April. Of course this story is much more interesting since Rachel travels, which plays into Luke’s cooking background and him feeling alone and wanting a partner. In general I found it to be really fun to think about how different circumstances could change Luke, but also keep him the same.

Luke having a child that he gets to raise or help raise melts my heart. The gender doesn’t matter to me; just him being a father pulls my heartstrings. Robbie is adorable though. And the dynamic between Luke and Rachel is so good. Explosive (in more ways than one) with genuine caring wrapped up in it even though it doesn't alwasy. He’s such a loner in the show that Rachel’s absence works with what we know and it hurts more because he’s supposed to have a partner. It’s still her abandoning him but in a whole new way.

The chemistry between Luke and Lorelai is SPOT ON! That “friendship” conversation before the divorce, the painting, etc., I could see the looks in their eyes in my mind. And then the waiting. Oy with the waiting already!

The scenes surrounding and covering the divorce were all brilliant. I’ve never experienced one personally, with parents, or even a close friend, but I can appreciate that it wouldn’t be a fun process. Even though there was a mutual decision there would still be pain and drama around it. You handled that beautifully. Those scenes were heartbreaking for me. I mean, I definitely wanted Luke and Lorelai to be together, but I felt horrible about it at some points.

Lorelai and Luke both having their own issues but working through them together was great because it provided conflict but also built them up as a couple. All of Lorelai’s family drama was perfect. And then that discussion between the adults at Rory’s birthday dinner – I was screaming things like “YES!” and “THIS! THIS!” at the screen like a crazy person. You put things out there that I never thought of exactly but explained what I felt. Plus their two families coming together was magical (both after this birthday dinner and several other points throughout the story). It’s nice that the kids get along, but that you also worked some fights in there, especially between Rory and Robbie.

And I loved your original characters – particularly Joe and John. I know the show was about the girls, but Luke has always been my favorite and seeing him have his own friends is just the best. Plus your interpretation of the non-original side characters (Liz/Jess, Maisy/Buddy, Mia) was amazing as well.

All in all, this was a great concept that was executed so well. I’m not a writer myself but I know it takes time and life gets in the way, but consider this my official plea for an epilogue. You wrapped the story well, but I’d love a glimpse of your version of their future.
rachel625 chapter 41 . 8/30/2017
I absolutely loved reading this story! I hope to eventually read the epilogue you mentioned and would highly recommend you possibly even writing a sequel!
amollie71 chapter 41 . 5/27/2017
I thouroughly enjoyed this story. Good where do I find that epilogue?
amollie71 chapter 6 . 5/23/2017
You mentioned that the other Variations that you essentially based this on had only 3 chapters available on . Is there anywhere to access the remainder of that story that was written (I know you also said it was incomplete).
lorelaidanesfan chapter 34 . 3/29/2017
I A
savvyliterate chapter 41 . 1/7/2017
This story was recommended by a friend of mine after I finally got to the end of season 4 in my Netflix watching of Gilmore Girls (though I had caved and sought out spoilers and fic a couple weeks ago), and this is just absolutely lovely. I love the direction this AU went. It's sweet and sexy with a lot of respect on everyone's parts, and I love the detail especially into creating the diner and a permanent home for everyone. This captures the absolute best of the series in every single way, and it was worth ignoring the laundry, cleaning the kitchen, and my own writing to finish! Lovely, lovely job!
Daisyangel chapter 41 . 11/11/2016
I've spent the last week or so reading this fic and I loved it! Where's the epilogue you said would be added? Any chance of more from this crazy wonderful family? I especially like the Tallman's.
thechegonerddx3 chapter 33 . 9/2/2016