Reviews for In Memoriam
Lord-Sylph chapter 16 . 6/9
I desperately hope this fic isn't dead, while I may not agree with some of the plot/character changes, I do LOVE this retellings of the Level Upper arc. I hope it continues
Lord-Sylph chapter 2 . 6/8
The white haired young man...Accelerator? I can understand why the geis would believe she was in mortal danger
UNSecur chapter 14 . 5/15
I get that you're /probably/ never going to finish this story. But could you at least post a brief summary of what happens after this epic cliffhanger? pretty please? :(
UNSecur chapter 3 . 5/14
Time for the fourth reread of In Memoriam...

Still one of the top 10 things I've ever read. :)
戻って来い!戻って来い!
もっと読みたいんだもん!えらいよ、これ。続いてよ!
Infinite Freedom chapter 16 . 4/12
I have to say, this is probably the best To Aru story I have ever read. Please tell me that the next chapter will be out soon.
KazuSakai chapter 16 . 4/4
I remember reading this as you wrote the chapters way back at 2013. It was a glorious time for me because I was having a hard time at college.

Now, a month until it will 2 years since you last updated the fic and I hope someday you will return here and continue this. The story has lot of potential and honestly, this piece is one of the most well written To Aru fics out there. (Shout-out to Stormwolfrex who has yet to gave us a news if he still is alive or not, cries for Durandall)

Well-written in the sense of the way the story flows nicely and despite it was written in a 1st Person POV, like the way it was written in the original works, its engaging for the readers and it keeps them to continue reading it. I prefer a 3rd Person POV style of work but that's my preference.

Too bad that Baka-tsuki removed their translations of To Aru, I just hope someone managed to download the pdfs of the translated stuff so that other people can read the Light Novels. Maybe that is also a reason why you stopped or lost inspiration in continuing. That's is just a theory of mine so I hope you won't think that I am mad that you stopped. We all can't help but watch as they delete it because they are forced to do so by the law.

Nevertheless, thanks for writing this work of yours and may you have a good day.
case opened chapter 16 . 1/31/2015
Any plans to continue this?
CheeseDinasty chapter 16 . 1/14/2015
Hello, Sir or Madame!

I finished reading this fantastic piece of work not too long ago, and I must say, it gave me everything I originally wanted from the lousy original series and then much, much more.

But before I dive into the review, I saw that the last time you updated was on May of the year 2014. That’s an awful of a long time ago in internet years. Are you planning to continue this fanfic? I must know this, please. Or else I’ll check every day for years to come for an update until I'm nothing more than a smelly skeleton...

So now, onto the review!

Firstly, all your characters are fantastic. It’s as if you took the characters and poured all the stupid out of them, like another reviewer said.

I loved what you did with Touma's character. You took that McNormal Everydude harem lead and gave him an actual personality. He's witty, fun, rightfully jumpy and, just like the original Touma, always butting in to help people (only here it’s not just to add more girls to his harem, but an actual character trait that seems to be born from a mix between wanting to be the hero and show off, and a genuine, honest to goodness desire to just help people). I-I can actually sympathize with him! Even more amazing than that, I find myself rooting for him, when in the original series I'm just rolling my eyes at his victories. I care about this guy! Fantastic!

Another major improvement was Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun herself.

Misaka in the show is a mixed bag of beans. Her character is all over the place and I have a hard time deciding whether I find her sympathetic or not. The show tells you that she’s a pretty cool girl who doesn’t care about status or powerlevels, but then she’s chasing Touma all over the city like some insane Pikachu because he, a peasant level 0, beat her. She learns that relying on her friends is a good thing, but then she runs off flashing the more-hero-than-thou card and trying to do everything by herself (and, to my eternal discontent, actually succeeding most of the time).

Show!Mikoto, just like Show!Touma, seems to have the protagonist only benefit of being as reckless and hot-blooded as she wishes and succeeding every single time. And then there’s the horrible, cringe-worthy behavior of hers whenever she’s around Touma that includes (but is not limited to) stalking, forcing the guy on dates, acting outraged when she thinks he might be interested in a girl despite not even being his girlfriend, and trying to attack him while he’s injured – things that I can only chalk up to dumb harem antics. She also doesn’t show almost any of this behavior when Touma ISN’T around, so yeah.

Your Misaka, though, takes all the stupid out of the original and all that’s left is pure, concentrated awesome. She’s still a pretty cool girl who doesn’t care about powerlevels, but she DOES care about her status, as shown when she wants to live up to Uiharu and Saten’s expectations of a level 5, and she IS aware enough of her high level power so as to rationalize why she should jump into a conflict (unlike show!Misaka, who usually jumps into conflicts due to simple-minded recklessness). Her distaste with trying to be a superhero is also a pretty cool character trait you added in, and explains why she wouldn’t want to be in Judgment. And despite all that, it’s not like you completely took away her reckless, hot-blooded side, which materializes in the form of wanting to take action NOW when she does set her mind on something, despite how legal her approach may be (and it’s awesome that the normally cool and composed Uiharu seems to share that trait with her, but only when it’s personal!). This side shines especially when compared with Kuroko’s straight-lacedness. (Which makes the adorableness of Kuroko deciding to help Mikoto despite herself all the more adorable).

And then there’s the titular character, Index, but I’ll stop here, because if I started talking about how awesome your version of Index is, I’ll never stop.

To finish off before this review gets unbearably long (or maybe I already failed at that), I’m going to comment on how much I like what you’re doing with the different point of views here. I was a bit skeptical at first, since you decided to go for a first person point of view, which usually doesn’t go well with multiple pov, but you’re pulling it off really, really well. All the characters have their own voice, their own flair. This is especially noticeable in the scene when they’re in the mall when the terrorists attack, and Misaka jumps off the railing. The way we get to see it happen from different povs, and how it varies for each person is fantastic. Misaka’s own description is very technical. Like she’s just saying “oh and btw I jumped.” You understand what she’d doing from her point of view. It’s a means to an end. To Santen, it looks like an electrical angel falling down from heaven, which fits her level 5 worshipping characterization. And to Index, it looks like a Goddess of thunder, which fits her religious background. It’s fantastic and fitting and just plainly well-written.

I seriously hope you don’t decide to drop this series, as I’ve been enjoying it a ton. You’re a very talented writer, and you’ve certainly given the Raildex universe the attention to detail and good characterization it needs.

That’s all from me. Hopefully, I’ll get to review a next chapter.

Ciao!
UnlimitedFreeIceCream chapter 1 . 1/7/2015
I like this.
Sora with an S chapter 16 . 12/5/2014
I feel like I'm reading a Dresden Files fusion. Is that intentional?
Defiantly interesting, that's for sure.
UNSecur chapter 1 . 11/12/2014
Rereading your great story!
Please continue it soon!
Guest chapter 16 . 10/26/2014
please update
Aregal chapter 15 . 10/9/2014
Damnit. I really wanted to finish all the chapters before posting a review.. for all of this amazing work, and preferably after reading through the forum as well, I love how they and you seem to think through everything like that to reach to each conclusion. Well I'm not writing a review for everythin just yet. It would take me too much and I'm on my cellphone... so.. no. My hands are already hurting from just reading this chapter.
Ok, first of all, uhu there is many things I want to say, let's start with the fact that you made the story between the kids and Kiyama feel so... real, that it made me sad the fact that I knew they were going to die and sad is an understatement, I still feel the tears coming from just thinking of it... and I'm not a person who cries over everything they see or read. It's actually the first time it happens whilst reading something... wow, I thought it was impossible for me. Which prompts me to the next thing... when Kiyama said "Well, no. I'm not the only one responsible"... it felt too empty, as someone who got into everything that happened to her like that, I protest, that does NOT justifies her emotions at the moment at all, It was too fast, she switched from sadness to anger, and when it gets to her the whole fact and the guilt over the others as well, and then she can't take it, all good, but that part made that switch in the focus of her emotion feel emotionless...
And one thing I didn't quite get, from what I can understand, Kiyama with some kind of esper power, linked her memories to Mikoto or something along those lines (when I came back to chapter 13 after reading this I understood why Kiyama chose to do this, and since Mikoto is a level 5 it is rather believable that she was chosen as the... memory keeper, good job there, really), after Mikoto was induced into some kind of state where she would kind of share Kiyama's experiences... what is with those comments? I mean, Kiyama would go from knowing what was going to happen as if she were telling the story, which doesn't makes sense when it is mixed with the fact that Mikoto was living the experience she had, when Kiyama had the experience she didn't think that for sure so it shouldn't be there. And if Mikoto could comment, how does the timeline works in that "dream"?, I think she would have to live it with the usual time pace to be able to do it...
When I was beginning go read the dream I assumed that Mikoto's brain received some information from Kiyama, kind of including time leaps, in a not so organized way from what we saw but identifiable for Mikoto, and the chapter would basically shows us what Mikoto got from it (the important stuff mostly). But that hipothesis doesn't hold to the two things that I've already pointed out. I'm not saying it should be that way but.. it feels more logical, unless I'm missing something. And things we need to know which were said by Mikoto can be said at another time easily, I think.
That ending, I loved it, the way she came back to reality and what you put in there before that, brilliant, makes me really excited for ahem, a certain arc, I think you would make out of it a masterpiece, with the impression I have got so far in this arc.
By the way, halfway through the forum I realized you shouldn't get into the topics of pairs, for obvious reasons... but when did you said so? I guess there are some rules out there and I don't know them, so I'm sorry if I'm breaking some right now? I think this is more fitting for the forum but also appropied for this page? Don't hate me? Well at least I knkw no one here would read such a long comment...
Oh and in case you were paying attention to all this shit... I spoiled myself with the kids' death. Tvtropes. The fault is mine and only mine. Well, still, I'm almost at the end...
By the way, if you ever cancel this you can take responsability for my death... ok no, but seriously, I think that I would cry, and scream, and... no no it just can't happen...
Yeah, this was a review of only one chapter... e.e