Reviews for Promises
Sister-of-Tal-Kyrte chapter 1 . 7/13/2014
I absolutely adore this. Your writing has a simple elegance and beautiful introspection that pinpoints the characters exactly. Too often fanfic writers for the Alanna or Kel books slip into the trap of calling such strong women "pretty." The word is so connotated, and trivializes the magnificence these women have accomplished. Your fic shows Alanna's body as a testament to her strength, and that matters far more to George than some arbitrary standard of beauty. I think your writing perfectly captures true love. We love our lovers not because they are the best or the brightest or most beautiful (because then there would be very few people in the world who were loved) but because they are a unique composition of those things.

Your fic also reminded me of this wonderful quote from a fabulous book, "The Beauty Myth." I cannot recommend it enough to anyone. Anyways, I'll just leave it below and finish this review, since I'm pretty sure it's longer than your story by now.

“Whatever is deeply, essentially female-the life in a woman's expression, the feel of her flesh, the shape of her breasts, the transformations after childbirth of her skin-is being reclassified as ugly, and ugliness as disease. These qualities are about an intensification of female power, which explains why they are being recast as a diminution of power. At least a third of a woman's life is marked with aging; about a third of her body is made of fat. Both symbols are being transformed into operable condition-so that women will only feel healthy if we are two thirds of the women we could be. How can an "ideal" be about women if it is defined as how much of a female sexual characteristic does not exist on the woman's body, and how much of a female life does not show on her face?”
AlianneLovesLiam chapter 1 . 6/2/2014
This story is really good. It's thoughtful and kind of...I don't know...deep? Yeah, I really like this.
-AlianneLovesLiam
Guest chapter 1 . 9/10/2013
this is so cute! nice job
black-venom-heart chapter 1 . 8/6/2013
Beautiful. I want to run out and find a man who can love me like George loves his Lioness.