Reviews for this train
KageSakura chapter 1 . 4/24/2020
This is one of the most beautiful pieces of anything with words I have had the pleasure of reading. And I wish I could find more stories than stun me into silence with how beautiful they are.

I always felt it was a disservice that we didn't have a Case of Cloud, but you clearly wrote it write here.

Years later, I still hope more people read this story because they need to. It's pure art, and the poetry works so well without sounding too flowery.

It's just beautiful.

And now with the remake I can read this while appreciating their relationship even more.

And everyone was in perfect character and so human.

Seriously. I don't know what else to say.
Other that I'm going to go read your other work because you have a gift and I have never been so moved by a writer as I have now.
This was written so long ago but whatever you're doing now, I hope you hang on to that inspiration.

And I hope you're still writing.
derektomlinson chapter 1 . 11/25/2019
a naked tifa hissing at saying to her boyfriend CLOUD STRIFE LOOK AT ME RIGHT NOW OK LISTEN HERE STRIFE I AM THE THAT GOT YOU TO PROMISE ME THAT IF I WAS EVER IN A B1ND THAT MY HERO Wik
NeverLost08 chapter 1 . 9/19/2019
This was beautiful! It showed why Cloti is such a deep and realistic couple and also showed respect to the relationship Cloud and Aerith had when she was alive. I love it!
derek chapter 1 . 6/11/2019
cloud saying to tifa you hurt your leg I am carrying you bride style
AuBois chapter 1 . 5/24/2016
I have no words. This was just a brilliant treat to read. Aaaahhh I think I have reader's whiplash or something. Looking forward to devouring this again in the future!
The Siege chapter 1 . 1/13/2015
This is really gorgeous. I love it. I wish I could write half as well as you do. Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous chapter 1 . 12/26/2014
I actually read this a long time ago, but realized I never left a review. This deserves so much more love than I see it getting. ;_;

God, this was gorgeous. I felt the emotions through and through; you said this style was experimental, but I honestly think it was executed it very well. It's used so perfectly to convey the complexities between all the characters (especially Cloud and Tifa). Everything just flowed so smoothly while I was reading, which can be so difficult for long text like this. I felt for the characters so deeply and ended up staring at a wall for a while after finishing this fic.

You explored Cloud's guilt, PTSD, and inability to let things go so, so well. I cannot even explain how amazing it is, how real his frustration and (for lack of better words) lost state were to me. The slow progression in regards to how he views Tifa was paced flawlessly, and the way he was intertwined with Sephiroth, Aerith, Zack, and the memories of them made such an impact. It made me realize how complex Cloud was, but the difference between now and when I had first stumbled on him years ago was that this fic helped me understand him so much better.

And Tifa, my gods the way you wrote Tifa. She was so painfully human. Her longing was intangible yet demanding in its presence, the way she was torn between her obligations and what she wanted. It's easy to just paint her as some whiny chick who hates Aeris, but she isn't and you conveyed that so well.

I'm on mobile so I can't gush all I want, but this is honestly one of my favorite fanfictions of all time from any fandom. Your characterizations were so on-point I had to catch my breath at times. I'm so sorry for being late to the party with this!
Grey vs Ale chapter 1 . 11/2/2013
This was truly good. At first I admit I was confused at the beginning with Cloud and Aeris. Had to remember it was back in ffvii haven't played it in years. My main point is I liked how in character Cloud was with his personal turmoil from his past. Tifa being his comfort and support I loved how she didn't push him away, or force him to make difficult choices. The ending was nice, I 'm assuming Cloud found Denizel and is taking him back to seventh heaven.
Girls In White Dresses chapter 1 . 10/17/2013
Wow. Just...wow. The imagery, emotions, descriptions... Beautiful. The ending was perfect. I loved your use of the train... Loved everything! Really really well written, amazing exploration of the characters. You sir, (or madam) should be proud of yourself :)
chalkstars chapter 1 . 9/13/2013
Oh my God. This made me so...sad. The writing style was certainly poignant, and it definitely drove home the effect think you were looking for. It's really wonderful, honestly.
Chibipinkbunny chapter 1 . 8/4/2013
I finished this story yesterday. When I said it would take a while, I didn't mean a month :$ Things got in the way. . . Anyway, I will have to read through this again because this story is too deep and meaningful to pick everything up in one read. One of the interesting aspects is the style in which it is written. It is fragmented, which actually makes it a bit hard to read. But it fits so beautifully with Cloud who is the epitome of a fragmented psyche. I could really feel Cloud in this piece, torn in so many different directions, mind flitting between the present and the past, haunted by his former sins.

One of the things that always gets me about Cloud is his strong self-loathing. And perhaps this is why I identify with him so. Some people are just born into this world hating themselves, and it doesn't matter how good or bad their life is, they will always have that self-hatred. But it doesn't stop me from feeling so sad for him. Cloud is his own worst critic, besides Sephiroth XD

There were too many lovely metaphors that stand out for me to comment on each one. It is very difficult to write poetic prose and not have it come off as awkward. I struggle with this all the time, but you pulled it off near flawlessly. And the other thing that was interesting was your sentence structure. You had some very short sentences interspersed with long ones. Cormac McCarthy does the same ;)

I think one of the metaphors that stood out the most to me was this one:

All of it dissolves into the roar of the machines, all a scorched pile, all spinning out of time. He goes where his body hangs like a marionette, played off by the words of the undying worm in his head that burns forever and ever like a rampaging train. He smells fear, and piss, and blood, and rust.

Where is your control now? And, most of all, where is your love?

There are many things he knows he can't change and never could have changed, but the knowledge is meaningless and painful. He can't change the past because it's the past, but neither could he change the past when it had been the present, and that is because he has been – and most likely always will be – a weakling. He thinks again of the Shadow he used to chase – the man who consumed his mind for so many years.

All the anger and hatred I bore him, it made it impossible for me to ever forget. That's what he gave me.

Time wipes away the space between the two of them, until the Shadow is the worm in Cloud's head, and he is the Shadow, and he realizes he's been chasing himself all this god damned time. It's hard not to laugh, hard not to curl up and want to die, hard not to hate everything and everyone.

********************

I think why I loved it so much is that it is very difficult to put into words Cloud and Sephiroth's obsession for each other. It's definitely not love, at least in my opinion. But in a way they are part of each other, and perhaps that is what keeps each of them going.

And I already told you how much I loved the scene with Zack's death, and this line in particular, "He clings to the corpse like he clings to weakness, afraid to move, but knowing the choice has already been made for him." That line alone nearly made me cry. It speaks a lot about who Cloud is and about his motivation. He is not a hero in the classic sense. I wouldn't call him a good guy either. In FF 7 he is not fighting for any heroic notions. Those died with his dreams and Zack. He is fighting because he has to.

Ending it with Denzel was a nice touch. It sort of brings the story full circle, and it gives the reader clarity on Cloud's future. Although most of the readers have probably seen Advent Children, but even without that, the reader can see Cloud has more than a bleak future.

I suppose I haven't commented as much on Tifa in this piece. I think you did a great job with her. She is just not a favorite character of mine, so her part of the story didn't have as much of an impact on me as Cloud's part.

This was such a beautiful piece. I think the reason it doesn't have more reviews is because it is too good. The very thoughtful and introspective pieces tend to have very little reviews. Very beautiful!
smellysocks101 chapter 1 . 7/21/2013
Wow... This story is... amazing.

It took me a couple of hours to read it all, but it was worth it.

Gah! I loved it. If it's possible to eventually write a follow up to this, then DO IT! Because I would definitely read it
Skiestrife chapter 1 . 7/14/2013
Amazing, just amazing!
Taquiner chapter 1 . 7/4/2013
That was awesome! You write so beautifully & capture Clouds torment wonderfully. Hope to read more Cloti fics from you!