Reviews for Giving Thanks
Curious-Brunette13 chapter 1 . 1/21
The ending was great, I always wondered how she knew how to hotwire a car, and this is a good scenario.
GalaxieGurl chapter 1 . 11/7/2015
Great follow-up story to a memorably awful episode yet one of redemptive value.
FaithinBones chapter 1 . 4/11/2014
I liked this very much. I loved that you showed us how Brennan had mad car skills.
MiseryMaker chapter 1 . 2/8/2014
Brilliant! Loved the part about Russ... perfect!

And Booth's storming out overwhelmed was so very real.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/7/2013
I enjoyed that last scene with Russ. He's definitely an underappreciated character in Bones world!
boneslover29 chapter 1 . 10/28/2013
This was perfect! Exactly as I pictured it happening! I love how you fill in the blanks the show left so perfectly! :)
jazzyproz chapter 1 . 7/13/2013
I love the step-by-step questions Brennan asks during Booth's visit to church, and in return, his exasperation with her. Love it.
And I loved her 'logical' justification of her actions:
"I would have rather you think it was our fault for being impatient, for trying to escape on our own, than for you to think you didn't get there in time."

And I LOVED that you had Russ teaching her how to hotwire a car. That was great!
Thanks so much!
RionaleprechaunwingsGallagher chapter 1 . 7/13/2013
I really liked this. It was a very different take on what most of the rest of us did with this challenge. I liked the uniqueness of yours. And this ending with her and Russ as kids was brilliant. Great job. :-)
EveyEve1215 chapter 1 . 7/12/2013
Mad kewl story.
LondonLI chapter 1 . 7/10/2013
I always enjoy how your mind pulls these different Bones canon threads together. Great job!
casket4mytears chapter 1 . 7/7/2013
True story: if I didn't ship Hodgela so hard and if Booth weren't so Boothy, I would ship Brennan-Hodgins all day and night. I think the depth of their respect for each other in Aliens is why it remains my favourite episode of all time.

I love the tie to Russ; so perfect and so believable.
Yatobu chapter 1 . 7/7/2013
Got to say your story is my favorite so far from this fill-in the blank challange and you stick to the rule too. You are talented story teller and I love this as much as I love your other stories.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/6/2013
That phone call to Russ was so unexpected and yet where else would she have learned that! Loved it! :)
the dud pistachio chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
In the beginning when Booth and Brennan are in the church I couldn't help but draw parallels of Brennan's observations to those of Bloom's in the Lotus Eaters episode of Ulysses. It's the whole demystification of the church and it's so fascinating to me to view it in this light since I myself am Catholic.

Something I've always loved about Brennan is her surety in things and since God isn't real to her and Booth is, I am quite giddy at the thought of her belief and faith in Booth since this is the foundation of their love for one another. "Feeling the miracle of her eyes" is a very lyrical and pretty line. And the "too close but never quite close enough" line/thought put me on the edge just as it did for Booth.

Brennan's thankfulness for Hodgins' company and their exchange in the lab is bittersweet. Her sympathy for him as she recognizes that this is his first time locked in darkness is SOsosososooo heartcrushing! I lovelovelove that you bring this recognition to light since it also reveals her everlasting compassion.

The lesson Russ shares with her is also a very sweet addition here and I love that Brennan reflects on precisely who she has to thank for getting her out of that darkness.

Thank you for this truly fantastic read! :))
threesquares chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
One of the things that I always love about your writing is that you just get Brennan. The idea that no offense is meant by bluntness, by directness, and more, that curiosity (and most of the ways that it is expressed) should be taken as a COMPLIMENT! For instance "An omniscient god would know I am an empiricist, so he only has himself to blame for not providing the facts of his existence to me." Priceless. I love how she said this.

It was with great satisfaction and not a little laughing out loud that I read the whole part in the scene, the way you sketched out the details. My mother was a nun. Not any more, but having been raised catholic, the part where Brennan watches Booth kneel and cross himself and everything was just awesome. As were the details of Brennan "behaving herself" despite the church's lack of scrupulous attention to historical and genetic fact. HAH! So funny and true. And then, of course Brennan is actually both less and MORE self aware than other people. I actually think that she has a better blank/closed down look than Booth does. Sometimes she knows exactly what she's doing. Like now..."Once outside, however, no topic was off limits and she smirked a little in anticipation of the sparring match to come." rubs hands in glee!

"remembering the terror of that possibly suicidal moment" Every time I watch this episode, I think about that. That "dying a hero's death as they tried to escape the deathtrap by doing something ingenious" had to have felt like what it might have been...committing suicide. Gives me shivers every time and I'm glad you feel that way too.

Now this is very interesting: "even if she did not feel vain enough to attribute it to divine intervention solely for her own salvation." One of the things that is complex about Brennan is that what many people perceive as arrogance is not only sometimes just a straightforward acknowledgement of the fact of her intelligence, but even more, a kind of humility, a refusal actually to describe the universe in all it's wonder and complexity as other than it is. A respect for that natural beauty, order, and disorder. The same thing here and you said it and implied it so beautifully. The vanity you describe is one legitimate and in my opinion, compelling way to see it. Also, her atheism can be perceived as vanity, as believing one knows better, but really it is the opposite, an unwillingness to-in the absence of evidence-believe that she knows better. This was incredibly insightful of you, it seems to me, and I'll be thinking about it for a long time.

And related to this, equally insightful and nuanced, is this: "So the fact that Booth was practicing his own ritual of expressing gratitude was reassuring to her in ways she could not fully articulate except to be grateful herself" She is not unsubtle, far from it. She is absolutely able to live with uncertainty, with ambiguity. I love her. And I love the way you write her.

Oh dear. What to say next. So many things! Let's see...

"Feeling the miracle of her eyes" - you always mention her eyes in the most striking ways, and of course he would feel it.

The next part, the way there were two things going on was wonderful... the conversation but the way they were holding hands, the way you described the stages of holding hands. I think I was probably like them, I was only half hearing the conversation because I wanted to know what his hand was doing. Oh... just so sweet. And in the middle of the tenderness and sadness and Booth fleeing (and recognizing the back and forth), he has time to think "And now he was thinking curses inside the Holy Church no thanks to his maddening partner." Hah! And the the final two lines of this part where she asked him about Jesus' blond hair. HILARIOUS! With all the handholding I had forgotten and was just as surprised as Booth. And it is HARD to surprise me in writing.

I so admire the conversation between Hodgins and Brennan. That kind of back and forth, in character, and then on top of that kind of "playing a game" (something about which I am all to aware of these days)...REALLY hard to do well. You are just a master of it. Just seamless and funny and new. Loved it. Again, you surprised me though with his question at the end. Was it Max? Hmmm...

Oh, it was Russ, oh joy! I love him. I always like that Angela tries to call him and I am always disappointed that he is out of reach. I'm so happy imagining her calling him to thank him and I loved reading the flashback. I also liked the way that you wrote this final scene with more distance, a more formal kind of storytelling, not conversational like the...er well, conversations...from the earlier parts. And of course, I love the way the car horn got explained.

Sigh. So happy.