Reviews for Underlings
Wintermoon95 chapter 5 . 3/27
Please update this soon! I wanna know what happens
I had to read this fic again (there are so few malec fics that are multi chaptered and are not focused solely on romance, as well as depressing fics about how Alec feels his life has ended because Magnus broke up with him *sigh*). Reading it again I am still impressed and fascinated by the psychological repercussions that Alec is living with and trying to reconcile himself to.

As well, this fic acknowledges that men also experience sexual assault. It reminded me of the party scene in City of Bones that really bothered me and does to this day. It is where Alec says that a poukha ‘touched him in a highly personal area,’ and that brush off in the book always bothered me. Is it supposed to be funny that a guy experience unwanted sexual contact? As a girl, I grew up worried about unwanted touching and experienced it. But for a guy is it supposed to be funny because they aren’t supposed to legitimately worry about it? Alec also recognizes that he can’t really do anything about it, which so many victims feel. So, I mean to get to the part where Alec is disturbed and does feel violated from what Arabelle has done and it has impacted him. He recoiled from brushing up against Marceline and it would be reasonable to think Alec might not be crazy about touching for a while.

I would love to see Alec’s aversion to touch elaborated on. Even before Arabelle assaulted him, he flinched when Magnus touched him. Though I imagine that Shadowhunters are not a particularly demonstrably affectionate group and maybe affection is rough? So hugs and gentle touches don’t happen much? I would also think that Alec only really lets his family touch him.

What I also want to find out is how widely does this timeline vary from the books? I am assuming that the trio (Alec, Izzy, and Jace) never met Clary. So maybe Clary and her family are helping to form a resistance movement against Valentine (or at least help those in immediate danger). In chapter 9 of the Magnus Bane Chronicles it is mentioned that when the Circle started to committ raids, the Downworlders formed communities and sort-of neighbourhood watches to keep each other safe).
-Particle13
carome chapter 5 . 3/1
Definitely like and want to see more!
Particle13 chapter 5 . 2/27
I read all of Underlings, and then the next day I read it again and it is still heartbreaking.

I love the idea of what could have happened if Valentine had won and what he would have inflicted upon the downworlders and the shadowhunters who had opposed him.

One of the other elements I love to see is how Alec has coped (or rather, failed to cope) with his world being destroyed. A lot of Alec’s characterization is glossed over in the TMI books, so my understanding of Alec is greatly informed by chapter 8 of The Bane Chronicles. In that short story, Alec is described by Magnus as someone who is a very gentle person who puts the wellbeing of other’s above his own, and who doesn’t even consider himself worthy of note (without the self-pity that would normally accompany that sentiment). So much of his personality and purpose is wrapped up in protecting his family, and your story exhibits a dark reality where Alec (in his view) is unable to protect anyone. His mother is constantly worried, his parabatai and little brother are dead, and Isabelle’s safety rests on his good behaviour. Worse yet, to obey Valentine means he does have to hurt people.

I love how you’ve written Alec’s concern with violence as well. He worried chapter 5 that Magnus would bruise and he even regretted hurting Arabelle. Alec’s desire to protect his family and be a good shadowhunter are at odds in Valentine’s world. His life purpose that I got from the books has been to always look out for Jace and Izzy, so much so that he does not really care for improving his demon Kill Count. He doesn’t care for the glory that comes with it, but trying to ensure the safety of his family and he can’t do that now and it just might be killing him.

Alec’s relationship with his sexuality is an interesting progression from what it could have happened if he had not met Magnus in City of Bones and had the outcome from City of Glass. Rather than entering a loving relationship and eventually gaining acceptance from this family, instead he slips further into self-hatred. Am I reading it correctly when I think that Alec purposefully looks for hookups that will be painful and with people he finds unattractive in the hopes that he could ‘fix’ himself (as if that is how sexual orientation works. I get the impression from TMI that the shadowhunters are pretty backwards)? I also have to wonder how would Magnus feel being used like that (I assume that he will find out)? Magnus, who engages in sex for very different reasons, would probably be offended that Alec wanted to be hurt (that is, not hurt in a consensual way where partners agree upon it).

The exploration of Alec’s state of mind is fascinating and I am really looking forward to more chapters. But right now I just need to know that it has a happy ending.

To sum it up, I am so worried about Alec.
Herdcat chapter 5 . 2/11
like this story - its more twisty than most people make this pairing and that is interesting - would be interested to see how to develops
Guest chapter 5 . 12/27/2013
Pleeeeeeaaaase! Continueeeee!
LaraElizabeth1 chapter 5 . 11/28/2013
I ADORED reading this and hope you'll update eventually. Great story.
Rather-be-a-sparrow chapter 5 . 11/28/2013
I really love this story. It seems so dark on the one hand, but on the other hand Alec and Magnus together is just so fluffy and cute **
But I would really like to know, too, 'The hell is his problem?!" XDDD
I bet, Mags is head over heels already!
I really hope you're still writing on it. :(
Darkmiror chapter 3 . 10/14/2013
Gaahhhh I just reread this fic and loved it even more!:) (ffn wont let me review chap 5 again).
Please, please, please, please, PLEASE! update! I REALLY want to know what happens next. How are both boys going to be after this? Will they search each other out again? How will this change Alec's behavior with his new "house guests"? Where is Clary? Will Valentine or Luke find out?
So many unanswered questions and theories in my head!
Awesome fic:)
Oh, and this might seem like a random questions (possibly even weird) but is everything ok? During summer you were writing so much and then you suddenly stopped on all your stories until recently. I know you had/have your psychology job (hope that's going well) but I just wanted to ask if anything had happened? Sorry if that's nosey, but it was strange and had me worried.
Hope everything is well:)
Guest chapter 5 . 10/11/2013
Pleaaase continue!
Cassiel Lorna chapter 5 . 9/23/2013
please update. i can't wait for their next meeting. interesting AU, love it, looking forward to read more.
lashmy chapter 5 . 9/17/2013
Please update soon, I need more please!
adarybka chapter 5 . 9/12/2013
I love it! Please update soon! I'll be waiting and in the spare time I'll read all your fanfiction! 3
lovespock chapter 5 . 9/11/2013
Oh my god! It's so so gooooood, I just can't. I need more! Please! I will write more stable comment (it's half past 12 uhhh), but later
thisgirldanielle chapter 5 . 9/7/2013
This is goooood! I'm really glad I found this, I adore stories where Alec is kick ass