Reviews for A Job is a Job
kainono chapter 6 . 3/8/2016
Really liked this story, this Eclipse feels way more real than Bioware's bogeyman(I mean they are a mercenary band, not pirates or raiders). I also liked seeing the other side to Omega's story, as much as Bioware wanted it to be black and white with Garrus being a shinning beacon of hope we all know that it's never that simple. Thanks for sharing this story!
magnusvictor chapter 6 . 1/16/2016
Well, that was an unusual (and fun) story. I do wish it had gone on for longer, but I loved it nonetheless.
divvycrip chapter 4 . 12/17/2015
This is a great story but you have a teacher talking about literature but you haven't googled "peeking your interest". It should be piquing!
AmityN7 chapter 6 . 11/29/2014
You did great with the battle scene!again sorry it took me so long but damn this was a great chapter, the action in particular was amazing. I really think you acomplished something with thhis story. I never really thought about the mercs we kill in ME2 as being anything but bad guys but ever since I started this story Im always thinking about the mercs as more when I play. I kinda hope we'll get to see Leslie and Tamara again some day. Wonderful story!
AmityN7 chapter 5 . 11/18/2014
Sorry this one took forever for me to get to. I'm getting more and more behind with everything recently :(

So I really loved the action scene again and how Leslie is stepping up to the plate more and more woth each chapter. It does seem like she's growing more dostant with her family however and almost treats Tamara in a motherly way now. Perhaps that was intentional to show how Leslie is shifting from mother to merc? And i also was very interested to see how regular people in the Me universe might talk about Shepard. Also Victor company...i like that name.

Another great chapter!
AmityN7 chapter 4 . 11/8/2014
I loved the battle scene and this chapter! It was the best one yet I think. I really like the way you've been fleshing everyone out and I'm still really loving Tamara and Leslie. I'm sad to hear there is only two more chapters. I feel like things are really hitting a groove here. One little nit pick though, you called a gunship a helicopter which don't exist in ME. I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this one, I've had a busy week and yesterday was dedicated strictly to playing Mass Effect. It's funny I was doing Garrus' recruitment and I kept thinking about Leslie and Tamara being in the merc army attacking the base along side Shepard XD
Lyta Halifax chapter 4 . 11/7/2014
Whew...finally getting back into the swing of reading and reviewing. Hell, I might take up writing again at this rate :-)

The two things that struck me is A) How odd is must be to be a paper book reader in a galaxy where practically EVERYTHING is a Kindle. Just tons of datapads, and books must be so easy to get, digitally. I still imagine that even in the 22nd century, there are old holdouts who appreciate and would work to get paper books.

Second is boy oh boy is proper boot camp training super important to an effective military force, for psychological reasons if nothing else. At the same time, this sort of reads a bit (in a good way) like an old time military novel, like recruits during the Civil War. Tons of grunts who learn the hard way, from the school of hard knocks, being commanded by kids fresh out of the academy who have no real experience.

So yeah, the bildungsroman-esque tone of the story, watching how Leslie improves and adapts, is probably my most favorite aspect of this series thus far.
Himuradono chapter 6 . 10/31/2014
This was great. A nice six chapter story to bridge what happened in canon, and from the POV of a newbie merc. Good work, nothing really jumped at me as breaking the SoD.

You have a solid storytelling style that doesn't drag and bore the reader, so big props for that alone. My only critique is that you could work some on details, at times it felt like we could do with a richer environment.

Her resolve at the end of the chapter was also a nice touch that brought some closure to her character and the path she's on.

Keep it up. You're on the right track.
AmityN7 chapter 3 . 10/31/2014
Another good chapter! I really liked the Sidonis appearance and how you challeneged the way we look at what Garrus did on Omega. Its very interesting how you paint Eclipse in this as good guys. I like Tamara a lot. I can't help but wonder if maybe Eclipse is the one that captures Sidinis and makes him talk about Garrus. That would be very interesting to see that side of the story.
icameherejusttosaythis chapter 6 . 10/29/2014
Two great new updates. It was really exciting to see the Archangel operation from the other side of things, in particular with a bit of compassion for the mercenary forces. I remember talking to Jentha shortly before the assault on Archangel's position and I remember thinking she seemed like a perfectly reasonable person and a good professional soldier (some of the other named mercenaries came across as bad people, so it was a bit of a mixed bag), but I definitely regretted having to kill her, when her head popped up over the barricade.

I wondered what was happening when Shepard shoved Archangel against the wall. Was she pushing him out of the way of incoming fire? Or were they having a dispute.

As always, I'd be interested to hear about what happens to Tamara after being discharged from Eclipse, and whether she will recover from her woulds in time to be of use, or even fight for her own survival when the reapers hit. After all, she's got less than a year, probably a lot less.

Also, as you can guess, I'm very excited for Mass Effect: The Shadow War! Keep at it.
LogicalPremise chapter 6 . 10/28/2014
That was very well written, and may be the first time anyone has written the mission from the angle of the stupid idiots trying to kill Archangel.

The beauty of tangental fanfic like this is that you can rarely get anything 'wrong', per se. You get to build up the world without contradicting anything in canon, and showcase originality. I like it.

I hope you keep writing.
Himuradono chapter 5 . 10/25/2014
Much better, like the fight. Pity it wasn't longer.

Underachievers are thin on the ground in any military structure, so do the people who back off when presented with prospect of advancing in the hierarchy. The 'I'm unworthy; I do not think I'm the person you are looking for; Thanks, but no. I am fine where I am;' can skew how a person is perceived by those further along the ladder, and not in a good way.

One nitpick: "The asari went on, "Those people abduct, torture, and assassinate their own kind! Your own people Leslie. I can't even imagine what they do to people who aren't human."" Oh relly? And how does this asari know that? We know about it because we played the game and we were led to this info thanks to Jack and us poking our nose into it. Meta-knowledge ahoy!

Here's my prediction for this fic: Leslie gets iced by Garrus and the fic ends with her dying and thinking about her son whom she won't get to see ever again. The End.
Himuradono chapter 4 . 10/25/2014
This story needs more firefights because so far we have a lot of pseudo-counseling done between Leslie and the characters she interacts with, mostly Tamara. It's quite but the undertone is 'life's so unfair'.
AmityN7 chapter 2 . 10/24/2014
A great second chapter, even better than the first. I liked the Garrus attack. I'm curious to see if you do anything with that like maybe Leslie is one of the distractions that went in with Shepard that could be interesting. And I also like Tamara so far :) the whole bunkhouse scene did a great job of setting the feel for the gang and the characters and I'm loving the little bits of Leslie's inner voice. Great work! Hope to read more soon.
LogicalPremise chapter 5 . 10/22/2014
Again, interesting. This should be a pretty big mess going after Archangel.

Most soldiers who turn down early promotions are not going to be offered a second chance, at least in the US military. I wonder how she'll end up out of all of this.

A few oddly constructed sentences ("Leslie responded after a minute or two she answered") but nothing big.