Reviews for the patterns of his skin
asupermario407 chapter 1 . 1/24
I really, really love this story. It's got an intelligent, almost poetic tone that manages to ground itself in reality. It's one of my absolute favorite things that I've read. Just perfect.
SuperMario64 chapter 1 . 6/22/2014
This is beautifully written. You put plenty of heart and poetry into a very poignant, all-too-familiar situation. This is one of the best stories I've ever read. The realism and the skillful use of second person point of view was amazing.
ReillyJade chapter 1 . 4/18/2014
I think this is the first time in all my years of reading HP fan fiction that an abusive relationship was depicted through the eyes of a bystander. Furthermore, not once have I come across the victim of said abuse being male, which is sad. (Well, not sad in the sense that I /want/ to see it happen., but sad that just as in real life, the male victims of abusive relationships are ignored and/or forgotten in the fanfic world.) Kudos for exploring this in a delicate, yet entirely believable, manner.

The best thing about this, in my opinion, is how well you fleshed out Percy. You do this extraordinarily well in all of your Percy-centric fics, of course, but I think it really shined here. In canon, we only see Percy through the eyes of Harry, and the result is Percy being painted as a one-dimensional, selfish bigot who cares about no one but himself until the very end when he's redeemed a bit. This story showed a side of him which we never see in the books: caring, considerate, and deeply troubled by what he's seeing – and it has nothing to do with academia.

I wonder if this is actually canon and can explain why Oliver completely throws himself into Quidditch and doesn't seem to care about much else. Quidditch is like an escape for him, the one thing in his life he can control. Hm. I'm reading far too much into this, I'm sure, but taking too many English classes does that to you. :p

Is the “shared closet” at the end a metaphor for them keeping their sexualities a secret? It was mentioned that few knew about Marcus and Oliver being involved, and the scuffle in the Great Hall /could/ have been about their Quidditch rivalry for all anyone else knew. And people had only known Percy to date Penelope so... I don't know. Just a crazy thought I had.

My only suggestion is to watch your placement of dialogue. There were moments when a quote began in the middle of a paragraph or at the very end of one, and that can be very jarring. Unless it's for stylistic reasons (which may have been the carse here – I'm not sure,) a new paragraph should always be created for dialogue.

All in all, this was an exquisite piece of writing – upsetting, but very raw, emotional, and empowering in the end. Thank you so very much for sharing it with us in the Showcase!
writhen heart chapter 1 . 1/14/2014
Ah this was brilliant! Your second person POV is so seamless and just perfect. I loved your characterization of Percy. I think you showed Oliver and Marcus' relationship gradually getting more toxic really well. It was painful and wonderful.
teddylupin-snape chapter 1 . 1/7/2014
laura this is not okay. there are literally no words to explain this. the ending was great, i'm so proud of percy, and the beginning was great. and the middle? yes that too, it was all perfect, okay? such perfection and rawness and beauty and absolutely amazing, i can't even put it into words. this hearts in the way that all those angsty perfection fanfics do, and i love it so much (no, that's bad, it makes it sound like this is just another boring old fic, but it's not it's wonderful amazing perfect. i can't explain my thoughts and i'm running out of words)
i haven't read any perciver in ages and this was just absolutely perfect (see, running out of words :p)
DobbyLovesSocks chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
(okay i'm in the middle of the fic and i laughed out loud even though this is not even a little bit funny because "You are both... walking on eggshells" and I KID YOU NOT I have Roo's fic titled "Walking on Eggshells" open in another tab and WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THAT PHRASE COMING UP TWICE)
***
there is a physical ache in my body right now and i don't even know how to review this
that was
holy crap
just
no no no give me a second i need words
YOU MADE ME SHIP PERCYOLIVER SO HARD IN THIS. I mean, I've always shipped them a bit but never this hard, it never hurt this much, it was never this wonderfully written.

"Friends are for saving you from yourself." That was a really, really good sentence. It takes someone who really knows you to catch when you're feeling down, beating yourself up, and I love how you didn't go along with Oliver's "If you were my friend, you'd leave me alone" mindset, because Percy's was just so much better.

This was incredibly sad, watching Oliver get sucked into this relationship where he faced the same problems over and over, but I loved how Percy stood by him the whole time. and thAT KISS IN THE END /dies

oh my god laura this was gorgeous

and the end was so simple and brilliant it was almost funny, a spell to keep him away... that was brilliant, it really was. It was great how Percy cared enough about Oliver's safety to tell someone, but he also cared enough about his trust to try and hide what he could. it was the perfect balance and their relationship in this fic was heartbreakingly perfect

HOW DO I CHOOSE BETWEEN THIS AND THE OTHER ONE? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME
ferret assassin nin chapter 1 . 8/2/2013
This is an amazing and beautifully written one-shot. I love the Perciver ship; I will always love it. This is a very rare kind of fic for this paring as it's usually Oliver that is comforting Percy, rather than Percy comforting Oliver. At first I was absolutely terrified that this fic wouldn't have a happy ending but when I finished, I never felt so relieved and so happy for Oliver and Percy. All of the emotions you have written into this story, the characterization you have done, and the dialogue is neither dramatic nor excessive as you carefully wrote this piece and crafted it from a fairly original idea. Also, the pacing of this story is perfect and slow enough to be believable, but fast enough to keep the reader on his or her seat. All this is to say that this story is wonderful, well-written, and believable.

ferret nin
Saurasaurus Rex chapter 1 . 7/24/2013
Here, have the actual, non-fucked up review (because somehow something went really wrong. So yeah. I thought you would like to have the non-confusing one):

Firstly, I love that it's from Percy's POV. It really lovely to see how much Percy cares about Oliver, worries about him. And I completely love the fact that this is from a bystander's POV.

[Guilt and grief and secondhand pain, and above all, the feeling of utter helplessness] - I love the description of "secondhand pain". It shows that seeing Oliver like this, him hurt, hurts Percy because Percy loves him.

[Be you. If he doesn't like you when you're being yourself, you don't want to be with him anyway] - This. The foreshadowing of this line. It damn near broke me. Because Marcus doesn't like Oliver when he's being himself; Marcus wants Oliver to act a certain way. And Oliver doesn't know this until it's too late so this line just breaks me.

I love that Percy knows that it's fault that he lost Oliver to Marcus. But it still hurts me.

[And, well, it's seventh year and things are stressful, and it's his last shot at the Quidditch Cup and he doesn't want to screw that up, and that puts a lot of pressure on him, but…] - I love this line. It's almost as if Percy's trying to convince himself that nothing is really wrong, that Oliver is exhausted from school and Quidditch, but he knows, deep down, that there's more to it. It really shows how much Percy cares and notices things about Oliver.

[That was not I tripped and fell. That was Somebody grabbed me.] - I love the subtle reference to Oliver's clumsiness. And how Percy can see the difference in the two. - then this. It ties in so nicely with the sentence above. Gorgeous.
[He doesn't change around you anymore; a stark departure from his usual complete lack of shame when it came to his body.] - Oliver is usually always shameless when it comes to changing (in my headcanon, and apparently yours too), so to see him shameful about the bruises hurts my heart.

["I… He… It was an accident. He apologised!" /"Apologised and then did it again? And again? You're not especially coordinated on the ground, Ol, but even you don't repetitively fall into someone's fist."] - This. This is so real, so /raw/ that it pains me to think about. Because this is what all abused significant others say. Their abuser always apologizes and then does it again, and again. And I love that Percy is the logical one and calls it like he sees it. And I love the reference to Oliver's lack of coordination.

And then Oliver just shuts down and leaves because he doesn't know how to handle Percy's probing questions, doesn't know how to face what Marcus is really doing to him. I just nearly broke there. You just don't even know.

[because if you can't cry for this, what can you cry for?] - crying because the person you love with all your heart is being abused and doesn't want to admit it is a damn good reason to cry.

[Trying to figure out why Oliver would believe him when he says he's sorry. Trying to figure out what's holding him there.] - This. This is so real. I love that Percy is questioning this, questions why Oliver stays. But I think Oliver is also a little bit scared to admit Marcus is hurting him, and a bit scared of leaving Marcus.

["Percy, am I doing something wrong?"] - This. You didn't just break me. You tried to murder me. Because this. It was like a knife to my heart. The fact that Oliver thinks he's doing something wrong, doing something to cause Marcus to want to hurt him just...it makes me want to strangle Marcus and hug Oliver.
And then Percy is right there to assure him that nothing is wrong with him, that it's all Marcus. And then Percy is telling him something good about him every day. That's commitment right there.

Oliver coming to Percy after Marcus got angry. You don't know how much that made me happy. The fact that their friendship is okay, that Oliver is trusting Percy again. I love it.

["Being human and having flaws that other people can misuse does not mean you're a fool. It means you're human."] - This. Because that's exactly what it means to be human - having flaws that others can use for their own gain. And Marcus does just that. He uses the fact that Oliver cares and it just hurts me. And that is why I hate most of humanity.

["…He's not going to change, is he? No matter how many promises…" /"No, Ol. I don't think he is."] - Oliver coming to this conclusion mostly by himself is just absolutely gorgeous. Because this is the turning point. This is where Oliver can be saved at. He realizes that, despite the promises, Marcus isn't going to change. It's wonderful.

The section where Oliver finally admits to needing help, to needing Percy. You just gave me all sorts of Perciver feels. Because Percy doesn't need a reason to help Oliver, other than the fact that he loves him and Oliver doesn't know that. And the way that Percy is willing to help Oliver put Marcus behind him is just lovely.

And Oliver coming and curling up next to Percy when Marcus beats him twice more. It really just gives me all sorts of feels. Because Oliver trusts Percy, and need him. And Percy is surprised that Oliver wants human contact. But I think Oliver wants /loving/ contact and Percy gives him that without trying.

[He doesn't like it when I talk back. He doesn't like it when I disagree. And he values his pride far too much to let that pudding incident go by without maiming me permanently] - this make me want to strangle Marcus. The fact that he doesn't like Oliver acting himself, and wants him to be a certain way. It just breaks me. As I was telling you earlier.

[So much so that his own opinion on the subject is clearly secondary to what he knows Marcus disapproves of. You don't like seeing Oliver, normally so fierce, now so cowed.] - this is real. This is what people in Oliver's position does. They memorize what they did to cause a bad reaction, then tries not to do it. And it's so heartbreaking because ultimately, all the abuser is doing is taking away the person and forcing them to become something from their own dreams. And that is wrong.

[You ache at thought of what this simmer could become.] - that rage can do /so/ much that it is quite scary. Marcus is furious and wants to get back at Oliver for that.

["—it, Perce, are you even listening to me?" /”Erm, no. Panicking.”] - this is the only reason I didn't drown in angst. The fact that Percy honestly tells Oliver that he wasn't listening because he was far too busy panicking is amusing.

And the fact that Oliver was completely blind to the fact that Percy was apart of it since the very beginning is so gorgeous. But then when Percy tells him it's because it's about Oliver, and Oliver understands what Percy is implying is just wonderful!

[Marcus does not go away — he will always be the skeleton in your shared closet, but you won't let that ruin what you are creating.] - this. just this. because Percy and Oliver's relationship will always have something to do with Marcus. Oliver will always be a little scared when Percy gets angry and Percy will always have to assure Oliver that he won't be hurt. Because the things that Marcus did to Oliver will always scar him. It'll never go away. But I love that they are willing to work through, that they think their relationship is that important.

But dear sweet baby Merlin. This fic just broke me into a thousand little tiny pieces. Because this was so real and raw and perfect. The relationship between Marcus and Oliver was fucked up in all the right ways, while Percy was always there to pick Oliver up.

And I just don't have any words to describe how perfect this fic is. Okay? Okay! Just know that it was every good adjective that you can think of. I love this and I love you!
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 7/24/2013

[And, well, it's seventh year and things are stressful, and it's his last shot at the Quidditch Cup and he doesn't want to screw that up, and that puts a lot of pressure on him, but… /There's more to it than just that] - I love this line. It's almost as if Percy's trying to convince himself that nothing is really wrong, that Oliver is exhausted from school and Quidditch, but he knows, deep down, that there's more to it. It really shows how much Percy cares and notices things about Oliver.

[That was not I tripped and fell. That was Somebody grabbed me.] - I love the subtle reference to Oliver's clumsiness. And how Percy can see the difference in the two. ["That is a handprint; it is not an accident!"] - then this. It ties in so nicely with the sentence above. Gorgeous.

[Merlin. What did I do to deserve this pain here? Because this just like stabs my heart.

["I… He… It was an accident. He apologi
olarst chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Loved this oneshot. It was amazing.
Liza chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
I WASNT FINISHED REVIEWING
/curses ipad

[What matters is Oliver.] I love this. I love that Percy, usually so rational and logical, doesn't care that he is outmatched all he cares about is Oliver. That is so fucking precious. I love how much this shows the depth of his feelings for Oliver without explicitly saying it , you know? You're a pro at show don't tell.

[We are not going to attempt to build this on a pile of rubble. We've got to clear it away first."]
I love this. Like how Percy knows Oliver isn't ready to jump right into a relationship, as much as they want top, Percy just wants to build Oliver up again and help make Marcus a thing of a the past.

I really like how Percy went to the headmaster as well, I love that Dumbledore picks up on his subtlety, and how Marcus is starting to become just a nasty memory. I just think that percy doing this really emphasises how much he cares, how good a friend he is and all

[He tells you on his better days that he doesn't know where he would be without you, tells you that he trusts you, tells you that you are smart and amazing and everyone else are fools for being blind to that.]
Feels &hearts

I think I just wrote an english essay on this fic, but it was worth it. It was absolutely stunning. Really really unbelievably stunning.

Perf job, Laurasaura
ILY
Xx Liza
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
I have already told you what I think of most of this, but I'll say it again.
This is beautiful. Like
[You've seen the fingerprints traced in broken blood vessels beneath the skin of his wrist]
was bloody beautiful. It is my favourite line. It just says so much, without even saying that O,iver is being abused it's so obvious. That whole paragraph made me want to cry and aww and you can imagine that i have these geart strings and that everymword you write is just tugging on them and by the end I'm so drowned in feels i cant even think straight anymore.

[Friends are for saving you from yourself.]
I love this line.

I love Percy's swearing because it shows just how much he cares for Oliver. I love his intervetention, locking Ol in the room and urgh feels my heart is just breaking.

[Your tears start to fall in earnest this time. You let them, because if you can't cry for this, what can you cry for?]
[You knew exactly how lucky you were to have Oliver — Oliver, who could be friends with anyone he pleased if he just tried. You never did understand why he chose you, but you always felt that it was transitory. ]
STOP IT WHO GAVE YOU THE RIGHT TO DO THIS TO ME OKAY *breaks down sobbing*

[It is not enough, but it is a beginning, and for that you are grateful.]
This. This. This. This. This. Comforting!Percy and oliver and i think you are killing me, because THEY ARE SO FREAKING PERFECT

The way Percy builds o,iver up and up and up and all those compliments and I want to tear Marcus apart because he's making Oliver /crumble/ and I don't think I can take anymore-

Oliver being so i secure
[Percy, am I doing something wrong?"] and self doubting and then crawling into percy's bed and this is so perfect and sad and I love it all and I'm inchoerant I just like feels

[He seems to have a compulsive need to be near you. You're not sure what this means — frankly, you'd expected him to shy away from human contact for a bit, but he either trusts you more than you can fathom or he wants you to shield him from the rest of the world, or both.]

This is heartbreaking and perf and i love it and hate it all at the same time, i love how much oliver needs percy, but then i hate that he needs percy because hes being abused. I love that he trusts Percy so much but i hate that he feels he has to shielded from the world.

THE OLOVER THROWS PUDDING ON MARCAS AND I AM JUST CHEERING BECAUSE OLIVER YOU PERFECT HUMAN BEING I LOVE YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THAT BECAUSE YOU STOOD UP TO MARCUS IN PUBLIC AND ASDHJI

Goddamit laura have I told you how stunning your imagery isn
[You are both… walking on eggshells. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. You gravitate toward him and try not to leave his side, because he looks like he's spun from glass; one little puff of air and he will fall, shatter.
You watch the way Marcus looks at him, see the simmering rage underneath the surface. You ache at thought of what this simmer could become.]
Because its so damn perfect. So absolutley damn perfect.

I am crying. I am fucking crying. Because
[letting his momentum carry him forward until his lips are crashing into yours and it is intoxicating. You are drowning in sensation.]
1) happiness THEY KISSED LIKE THE ANGST IS OVER
CatchingCraziness chapter 1 . 7/22/2013
Poor Oliver. This was very emotional and Percy was just brilliant. :)
Cheeky Slytherin Lass chapter 1 . 7/21/2013
This was beautiful and so powerful. And you captured my hc perfectly then went and twisted it into something so absolutely flawlessly that all my time spent playing around with this triangle in my mind could never come close to measuring up.

I love that it was written from Percy's pov. It was interesting to read it as a bystander, and not one of the ones involved. And yet, as you said, Percy was involved from the beginning.

The instability and gradual destructive nature of OliverMarcus was written perfectly. It was painful to read because it was so true to abusive relationships. Broke my heart.

And Oliver's defiance, followed by his fear. Again, so true and perfect.

Then the Perciver. Laura, do you know how perfect that was? Percy who never does anything reckless stepping in and taking a level in badass. Then being so gentle with Oliver. Absolutely golden and so fucking beautiful.

Thank you, darling. I love you.