Reviews for A Fleeting Moment
nkurej chapter 1 . 8/9/2013
Nicely done.
NorthStar51 chapter 1 . 7/24/2013
You did a very good job with this one. Oddly enough, I just watched "Balance of Terror" two days ago while doing some ironing. Nice job with the episode adaptation.
Teobi chapter 1 . 7/24/2013
Hi Matthew!

I really liked this. I like that you used present tense- it lends a sense of urgency to events as you watch them unfold in 'real' time.

While I am not very familiar with specific episodes of TOS, you'd have to have been living on Jupiter not to know anything at all about Star Trek, and I have a good friend who sometimes cosplays as Janice Rand so I know about the unrequited love she had for Kirk.

'Boldly, she approaches the man in the center of the storm.' Janice boldly goes where...err, many women have gone before.

But in all honesty this is a poignant piece, sensitively written, as all your stories are. Janice will forever love Jim Kirk from afar, she will always be in the 'friend zone' as it were (despite their friendship strengthening after his attempted rape of her in 'The Enemy Within'), and that is a situation many of us can sympathise with.

'As Lieutenant Sulu counts down the seconds, Jim Kirk turns and reaches around her waist pulling her gently to him. Their eyes never meet as they are both mesmerized by the approach of their fate, a fate they will meet together, safe in each other's arms. For a fleeting moment, Janice Rand is at peace with herself.'

I found that incredibly sad. Not just because she would happily die in the arms of a man who will never love her the way she wants, but because she survives, and that moment where she was at peace with herself is gone.
Trekkie2 chapter 1 . 7/24/2013
This was nice. Well written thoughts on this scene. You should do more. Thanks for the submission.