Reviews for Steeped in Wisdom
Hikari sans BlueHair chapter 1 . 5/17/2014
I love this piece. It sounds so very much like our tea group, with tea as succor for every type of grievance and reward for every success. This is going promptly into my favorites. Well done.
J4de chapter 1 . 4/27/2014
Coffee is generally my preferred choice of liquid mediation, but oh... this was so good!
Padawan Aneiki R'hyvar chapter 1 . 10/21/2013
LOVE this...love the gentle weaving back and forth between Masters and Padawans...all around the tea... *grin* Perfect.
Eryndil chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
It makes me wish I liked tea!

"And then he just sorta implodes, like he does sometimes, so Anakin can't tell what he's thinking or feeling. His whole aura disappears over an invisible event horizon and he's like a sarlaac pit out in the Dune Sea – it looks totally like there's nothing there but e'chuta if you fall in , cause there's a whole lotta nasty hunkered down at the bottom." - Such great descriptions in this story. And important lessons too.
Andromakhe chapter 1 . 8/28/2013
I think my favorite line was when Obi-Wan was wondering anxiously if someone had been expelled four hundred years ago for sloppy ceremony. Everyone was portrayed well. Good job with the different voices. And Anakin asking to learn the tea ceremony was so touching, in an awkward sort of way. Neat to see the different cultures and backgrounds portrayed with the primitive slave and the cultured Jedi.
Crazy chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
Awwwww.
I like how you've played with a ceremony and the emotions behind it. Good job.
Girlbender875 chapter 1 . 8/2/2013
Aww, this was *adorable*! I love the interactions between the characters here, especially between Anakin and Obi-Wan. You got their personalities down so well, too. Great job!
pronker chapter 1 . 7/30/2013
/Anakin nods, solemn and impressed. His skepticism has been blown to smithereens from a distance of five meters, a dead bull's eye.

Obi-Wan is grimly satisfied with his own acuity, and also unsettled. Because personal loyalty should not eradicate the protestations of reason and experience so easily. There is something dangerous in that./

There /is/ something dangerous in that, but not at nine. Sweetly told story. Loved the unrepressed squints and grimaces and moues that Anakin makes!

Steve over at flagficDOTcom says that the ffn author's entire oover Kindle question is being addressed, no release date yet.
sterling5842 chapter 1 . 7/29/2013
This is a masterpiece! How could I not adore little Obi-Wan learning lessons and then watching Obi-Wan impart that tradition to Anakin? Also, the structure of the story allowed some very nice exploration of the differences between the two characters.
***
"a Jedi apprentice does not roll his eyes, no matter the provocation"

Oh, no? Good thing we have you to provide factual records to counteract Obi-Wan's selective forgetfulness about his own youthful indulgence in bad habits. :D
***
"He does not like tea; he only drinks it because Obi-Wan does."
"And therein lies the answer, does it not? "I do it this way because this is how Master Qui-Gon taught me."

Proper or not, they practice of this tradition has much to do with personal loyalty for both of them. Yet it also has much to teach of patience and acceptance and enjoyment of the moment.
***
Little Obi-Wan longing to be proper gave me the giggles. (I confess to sharing his desire for proper execution and wanting to know if I'm doing it "right" especially when young.) Bless Qui-Gon for gently teaching him to "let it flow" in his own way. And bless Yoda for teaching the lesson more emphatically by stomping on all his sense of propriety and *belching* (!) in the midst of the solemn ceremony. :D

I loved Obi-Wan embracing that lesson as an adult and purposefully spilling a drop of tea to remind himself to accept that his best *is* the right way. Oh, and also when he learns to apply the patience developed in the tea ceremony to his recovery and to enjoy the opportunities offered by some enforced idleness. (Ha! that he figured he'd have plenty of time to slot in the requisite grumbling.)
***
"The rules change after midnight. Under certain lunar phases, and at altitudes exceeding ten thousand meters, also."
"Anakin looks roundly skeptical."
"And whenever else I say they do."
"And now the boy is grinning at him, buoyant and pert again. "That's okay. I understand what you're saying."
"Obi-Wan is slightly alarmed, and hopes he is not that transparent."

This exchange was one of the funniest bits and also one of the sweetest. Anakin is so perceptive. Obi-Wan's horror at being read is quite amusing.
***
The conclusion is very satisfying with the circle being completed. You achieved exquisitely calibrated characterization throughout. And if I pointed out all the parts that made me laugh I'd be reposting at least half of it. Lovely!
Eruhin chapter 1 . 7/29/2013
Oh yes, tea makes everything better :) I love tea. I have much plainer tastes than the Jedi though and my brewing ritual is more like the one done at altitudes above ten thousand meters ;) I loved all the scenes, the two last ones in particular, with uncivilized Master Yoda, his traumatised victim and tea-master Skywalker :) It was a lovely read!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
I now have the urge to make tea, although Obi-wan would be horrified at my technique.
time2read chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
Amazing Story! I am at a loss of words at how you turn simple things such as tea making into such meaningful and deep story! And of course all the ladies are always all over obi wan hehe
cururu chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
Taking a break from writing my paper and writing a review since I resolved to do so after you provided me with another fabulous tale before I went to sleep last night :)

"I do it this way because this is how Master Qui-Gon taught me." - Knockout argument! Anakin's reaction is priceless and pricelessly described.

"Very good. And so, the answer to your first question: you are doing it right if you are performing the ceremony perfectly in your own way." - Lots of wisdom here, good to be reminded of that from time to time. :)

That stain sits there, marring the ceremony, and Obi-Wan doesn't clean it up. - That's one of those "when you think the whole thing can't get any better and it just does" parts ;)

How come reading your fanfics has made me as nervous as Obi-Wan is as soon as it's announced that Yoda will drop by? No need for it this time though, Yoda was.. well, Yoda and that's how I like him.

"Is there another way?" Obi-Wan quips. - Aaand it all starts over again. Perfectly wrapped up 3

Thanks for sharing, thanks to whoever requested some tea and wisdom.

Oh, and I like that your cup is half-full :) (or Obi-Wan's in this case)
Book girl fan chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
Cool. Just awesome bits of my two favorite Jedi pairs. (Well, maybe.) And with tea, which is awesome. I like tea, though I've never been part of a tea ceremony, and strangely enough, don't even know how to make it.
Obiwan456 chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
I didn't know tea could take on such a meaningful tradition...I could just picture Obi-Wan, both young and uncertain as he performed the ritual, and then older, with a gaping Padawan watching in amused confusion, at the seeming tedious trouble Obi-Wan took to "have tea",

Loved that he was able to impress the ladies with his tea service ;)

Adn also loved the poignancy of Obi-Wan performing the ritual as a Master, in teh shadow of his own master's memories...

Very lovely.

I admire Anakin's desire to "be like his master" in this way, but I somehow can't picture Anakin being quite so graceful and adept at it...Anakin and tea service will not be an easy mix I suspect...a bit like oil and water I think...;)