Reviews for Cages
InsanityIsClarity chapter 1 . 7/16
This was amazing!
Always-Striving chapter 1 . 8/31/2014
I love it. I really, really love it. The world needs more of these two!
Thimble chapter 1 . 8/24/2014
Lovely story.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/7/2014
This story is truly a well written work on an interesting topic. I loved it and would be greatly interested in the continuing adventures of our two intrepid heros/runaways. Please add more! :)
Lucy Stremer chapter 1 . 10/12/2013
Good fic, are you gonna write part 2? pls?
anyway thank you for the good story see you soon :)
Writingathing chapter 1 . 9/22/2013

Everything's better with Toph and Zuko, and you have their voices nailed.
Shinnypichu88 chapter 1 . 9/12/2013

maybe you can make this into something like an AU?
Lunatique chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
Nice story! I liked the comparison of Zuko's imprisonment to Toph's, but the deeper insight was that her escape to the Earth Rumble arena was no escape at all, just an illusion of power in a prison of exploitation and brutality. Good job showing Zuko and Toph being in separate prisons at first and then moving them into the same cell, as it were, in the system of oppression. It doesn't matter that she's at the top of that system and he at the bottom; there's definite privilege in her position, but she's still not free if she has to pay in her humanity to stay there.

It was particularly profound that the strongest bars of all were the belief that she didn't deserve any better, which reminds me of vumzic's preface to her Fruits Basket analysis that the essence of abuse isn't hitting or insults but making you believe in your own lack of worth. I've had it directed at me loads of times, being told I was too incompetent and immature to make it, that my feelings and instincts and perceptions were all wrong. Breaking free of that hurt because I did have to tear at bonds I genuinely valued, but it was the only way I felt I could live an intact life.

Also, good image of Toph's blindness. I'm used to seeing her PoV in complete blackness and find it realistic that she has light perception but can't see details. Great, pointed descriptions overall.

I like how this story wraps your strength with action and wit around a truth about the human condition. Your stories have really been gaining in depth lately and it's a joy to see you grow as a writer.
Proto chapter 1 . 8/7/2013
That part with the orange-colored sand was so cool that I spent a few minutes just imagining what it would have looked like in the cartoon.
kountoall chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
I loved it you got the character's so well hey if you ever feel like continuing it do it was really fun to read. Keep up the good work.
melon lord chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
ohhhh this should continue and they should meet the rest of the gang and ahhh im just imagining it!
Metella chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
I loved the details about Zuko's three year trek that made it onto the arena!

This was a great envisioning of how the Earth Rumble operates. Especially the trick with Fire Nation Man. I applaud you as usual, Loopy. You even took on my favorite two characters' interaction. I won't say "ship," because there was nothing really shippy about this, but your writing in general is better than most of the romance I've read for any pairing, in any fandom.
Aurelia le chapter 1 . 7/28/2013
This was an unexpected treat, probably 'cause I don't keep track of the special shipping occasions. First off, as someone who's read and written Toph's POV, you did a great job tailoring the descriptions to her earthsense, which can be harder than it seems at first glance.

And descriptions were beautiful and very true to character besides. Particular favorites were Toph's first impression of Zuko and his first fight - wow, talk about a fall from "grace"! Zuko WOULD be completely unsuited in terms of personality and experience to that kind of spectacle.

I also loved Toph's nagging feeling of kinship with him, the parallel she drew between their situations and how it pushed her to keep trying with Zuko.

"She couldn't stand actually being blind to what was happening to her- her-" Aw look, she really does care! (This was a cute moment.) And Zuko pants'd Fire Nation Man and doesn't even know that's what it's called. Classic.

It was sad but not wholly unjustified when Zuko lashed out at Toph subsequent. I loved when Toph set him free and the metaphor you drew between his bars and the constraints of her life, which was again, some beautiful wordcraft. And Toph and Zuko hit the road - er, "secret underground badgermole tunnels" together. This lovely AU, I can't even...

"...yeah. Parents just need some time to figure these things out." ... Don't mind that wet, squelching noise. That's just my heart breaking, nbd :..(

I've said this before, but seriously, this is why you're a Favorite Author. I'm not even a Toko shipper, though I enjoy their dynamic. But THIS STORY, YOUR WRITING. Gah.

Am obviously verging on incoherence, so just a few corrections I wanted to share:

"any more time in the arena that was necessary" should read "than". "her fury at him raged like a fire in his heart" should probably be "her heart". "I told you, I don't haven't heard" has an extraneous "don't".

"And she was really as good as she said she was" seems to be missing an "if"(?) "Like you could anywhere around her without me" is missing a "go" or "get" and the "e" on "here".

Loved the story, thanks for sharing! (Would also be very happy if you decided to write more in this universe, maybe once Retroactive is finished ;)
Kimberly T chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
This. Was. AWESOME. Toph at her best, and her most vulnerable; blunt and tough, thinking like a professional, living two lives that are both rigged but in different ways. And after realizing she's been blind to a few truths in her double life, she Does Something About It.
I know this is another oneshot, but I'd love to see it continued, with the adventures of Toph and Zuko as they look for Iroh and/or the Avatar. Who would they encounter first, when and where would they meet, and what would happen as a result?
Princess Unikitty chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
great story. very well written.