Reviews for Pussywhipped
beacuzz chapter 2 . 3/16/2014
Lois is evil. That last comment about "instilling the fear of the letter M" is inspirational and pure evil.
I would love to know what goes on in your think tanks.
Lazy Tobi chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
You know, I've read through Cat Tales so many times, but I've never Googled "F. Miller" until now. I always thought he was someone you made up; since I don't look at authors/illustrators on comics, I never realized he was a real, living idiot.

Sadly, Miller's work was the first Batman comic I ever read (the GD Batman one). Even then I knew that it was NOT the true Batman or Black Canary or Catwoman - or anyone he wrote. It's just a waste of beautiful art on a crappy story. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of him and am glad you wrote this. :)

That said, I'll repeat: I've read through Cat Tales many times. It's so addictive that I've, essentially, only been reading this for months now. Your writing style is inspired; I really love it how you can have a serious topic but are still able to insert shots of humor. I should review more, but I'm lazy and on a hand-held. Please don't stop writing Cat Tales (ever, if possible :P).
Guest chapter 2 . 11/12/2012
While I completely agree with your assessment of Miller- the man's a disgrace. I feel your sumation of Darwyn Cooke and Ed Brubaker is unjust. Both of those writers did Selina the most justice. And while I understand you disliking some of these heroes having a "victim's" past, consider that without that, a lot of characters loss their interest. For a story to be worth reading, character development must exist. Bruce has been a victim from his parents death since the 1940s and its that past that makes his development so good. Of course, comic writers don't often move him passed the scarred individual he is or try to show him forgiving himself and moving on- which they should show! A character who can but doesn't develop is just as bad as a character that has no need to.

Now, moving to Selina- while I HATED Miller (believe me his prostitution thing is beyond de-powering, especially in The Dark Knight Returns), I see nothing wrong in writing her as someone who was an orphan. It provides a reason for her to want to become a thief. People don't start stealing just for the novelty of it unless they're kleptomaniacs (in which case they're insane, and I find an insane Selina more degrading than one who used to be poor). The thing is- she did develop passed a poor orphan. In one year she was rolling amongst the high society types and was every bit the elegant, confident, intelligent, empowered woman she is. She had crappy beginnings- but she developed. She conquered. And while Miller never showed this in his crap writing, Ed Brubaker and Cooke most certainly did. They gave wit, maturity, and grace to the character and made her her own woman- not just "that cat that's attracted to Batman" as most othet writers are guilty of reducing her to. They acknowledged Miller's "prostitution" background, as that was regretibly her backstory and nothing short of a retcon could change that at that point, but they showed how she grew past that and became a stronger person IN SPITE of it. And really? That's the best any writer could have hoped for.

And let me tell you this, I'd choose Ed Brubaker a million times over the blatant rape of the character that Ann Nocenti and Judd Winick authored... They took away her wit, her intelligence, her strength, her class, and her independence and instead gave us a crying, desperate, insane, addicted, selfish, thoughtless, reckless, ditzy, vapid, de-powered, desecrated mass of unrecognizeable meat... Miller may have run Catwoman through the mud. But other writers could at least turn a bad situation into a good thing- much like Barbara's parallesis was turned around to make her character better in spite of it. But Ann and Winnick have destroyed Selina beyond repair! Nothing short of a massive retcon or a complete reboot of the whole universe will fix what they've done!

So yes, I definently agree with you on one thing. You know how to make a graceful Catwoman. You know what makes her a great character and you stick to it. But I do have to say, if it weren't for the parody nature of your fiction, it wouldn't make much sense why she became Catwoman. And you really haven't given her much of a better past compared to the typical "orphan" upbringing. I would like to see how you'd fix the character if you were writing a serious story. How would you writer her "reasons" for going to the extreme of dressing up like a cat in leather and taking to the night to steal jewels? Because I love reading your work. You're perhaps the best fan fiction writer I've had the pleasure to stumble upon. I'm addicted to your series. And on that, I'll say- I look forward to reading the rest!
yourbeautifulnightmare chapter 2 . 2/1/2011
afraid of the toilet! I love it!
Stiches Buchanen chapter 1 . 1/23/2011
Had to respond to GuesssWho, because Ledger!Joker PERSONIFIES Miller as Chris Dee defines him. "When the chips are down these civilized people will eat each other." That is absolutely Miller. Batman to Joker "What was your point, that everybody is as ugly as you?" Batman to Miller "Does (thinking heroes are all damaged psychos) make it easier to live with being a petty, selfish parasite?" If you walk away from TDK thinking Joker has a point, man, you are one of those innocents who have been lost.
GuesssWho chapter 2 . 7/16/2009
Heroes may be real, but life is still cruel.

Ledger!Joker has a point.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/25/2008
Hi Chris, Sure you know Miller's SPIRIT is out today and the reviews are bad bad bad. AICN's made me think of the lovely lady who said it all first. "This is embarrassing because it lays bare the engine that propels Frank Miller, and it is an engine fueled by infantile stupidity... Miller is creatively bankrupt and artistically empty." Merry Christmas, Chris Dee, and thank you for keeping the real SPIRIT of heroes alive through the dark age.
24isover chapter 2 . 5/29/2008
Meowr! Estrogen solidarity indeed.

Being new to this genre, i haven't read the works of Miller and crew, but i did google them. Perhaps the whore backstory is written with a different target market segment in mind?

If it's any consolation, i like your Selina much better. No. I LOVE your Selina much better. I sincerely hope your work gets published (if they haven't yet).
Jason Barnett chapter 1 . 4/1/2008
I like the story, but Diana wouldn't have known Cleopatra(unless she time-travelled.) She was born on Themiscrya and that was after they isolated themselves.

Also they founded it because the gods ordered them to.
Wispr chapter 2 . 3/19/2008
Good chapter... a really good chapter.

Wispr
t wrecks chapter 2 . 12/19/2007
That was the best line- Two words : Flight 93
t wrecks chapter 1 . 12/19/2007
this was great
StitchGrl chapter 1 . 1/9/2007
Read this last night at 1 in the morning, I guess you don't have to answer my Miller question now. I'm happy...thank you. I'm sad that educated women scare F. Miller, a lot. I think he's a bit of a pervert, considering he likes pairing 12 year olds with 55 year olds...he did the same in Sin City. Except the 6 year old grew up to be a stripper. Seeing a pattern...

Thanks for the great read
Nightarcher210 chapter 2 . 9/26/2006
YES! Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the stuff he writes is complete trash! YES!
Nightarcher210 chapter 1 . 9/26/2006
And I thought the Joker/Two-Face/Scarecrow triumvirate was frightening...