Reviews for Butterflies
2manyfandomstho chapter 9 . 3/8
Firstly, I thank you for writing this brilliant piece if work.

I have never read an ff dealing with bulimia. It has moved me so much, and I admit to crying while reading several chapters. My knowledge of the disorder was/is very limited, and I agree with you. People are quick to write stories of anorexia, labeling it towards more romantic plots and predictably heroic endings. I felt so connected with this story, I think it was even more so with the way you write the POV. By using 'you' instead of him/tony/I it seemed to pull me into the ff on a whole other level.

Thank you for making me understand this disorder better. I don't know anyone dealing with it, and I am greatly saddened that people do go through it... But, well its just really difficult to try and explain how much this has effected, influenced, and taught me.

So thank you again. You are an amazing writer. Thank you.
WarOfChange chapter 9 . 1/14
I just want to say thank you for writing this story. Very recently I have discovered and considered purging. Not to look thin, though that is a plus, but to be better at sports and feel better in a body that fits my liking. Tony Stark is one of my favorite characters because he is so broken. But you let me see that maybe its ok to be a little broken. Your story and writing printed me to write thoughts and resolutions about how im going to achieve any goal. Its still so scary but I will make it. My body is mine and my choice. Its okay to stumble if you get back up and you cant fix something all in one day. Anxiety and borderline depression have also been parts of my life. Not every day will be perfect and I will slip but I'm get back up. Like Tony I can have fear and problems and still function and be a perfect human being. Your acknowledgement of the fact that these are real and not some dramatic teen girl faze have also helped my merit and understanding of my problems. Even now writing this I can think things over. Thank you for making the whimsical and "attention-seeking" problems real and dirty and harmful. I can and will try my best to live with strength and not take the easy and miserly road. You and I know that once it begins it never really stops. Thank you for writing this and helping me find a road to peace. If you ever fall take solace in the knowledge that you helped a broken girl fight. With live abound K
AnimeFan202 chapter 9 . 12/22/2014
This was one of those stories that I just loved more the longer it went on. In fact, I think my favorite chapter was this last one.
You did quite a lot of things right. For one, as much as I love the inclusion of the team, I'm glad you didn't forget his friendships with Happy and Rhodey, because so many people seem to. I'm glad you got into his head whenever he relapsed. I'm glad he finally got to a point where he felt he could get better. But mostly, I'm glad you mentioned that there is no magical cure, and it's likely to be something he struggles with for the rest of his life.
Overall, this was just... a fabulous story. Good job!
AnimeFan202 chapter 8 . 12/22/2014
'You feel like you're peeling layers off of yourself and you're not sure you like what's underneath.' Well, doesn't that just describe therapy in general? I really liked that line though, and I'm glad you've finally included Bruce and the other Avengers noticing the changes in his behavior.

I'm unsure how I feel about the conversation with Natasha... I suppose this isn't meant as a personal critique so much as a stereotypical one... I just feel like... Whenever one of the Avengers has a problem in a fanfic, no matter what it is, she's always the first one to find out and offer some form of comfort. And maybe in this case, the fact that it's because she's the only female makes a little more sense (you've clearly overcome any other stereotypes by making Tony the focus character of this story) but she's just never come across as the comforting type to me... Then again, I've had to reevaluate how I view the Black Widow since the second Captain America movie... I guess I'm not sure where I stand on her inclusion.

I'm also unsure how I feel about his final conversation with Pepper... On the one hand, you totally achieved what you were going for, and I'm sure we all love her for loving him anyway, but at the same time... It still almost feels like she's pressuring him into something, and pressure is the last thing he needs in his life right now.
AnimeFan202 chapter 7 . 12/21/2014
And so it begins... It's funny to think how many beginnings have occurred mid-story in this fic.
I love to see that Tony finally seems to be making some head-way with his doctor... I liked that he traced back his problems to his issues with his father (as we all knew he would) and was even manage to find an instance that was weight or eating-specific.
AnimeFan202 chapter 6 . 12/17/2014
Another excellent ending that leaves me excited for the next chapter. :)
I really like how you address the passage of time in this story. When you've been dealing with something for as long as Tony has, it sometimes feels a little pointless and like it will never end... And the sad thing is, with something like an eating disorder, it IS something he will have to deal with and be aware of for the rest of his life- even if he goes ten years without relapsing. It would be all too easy to slip back into the habit if he ever does recover...
I was also a big fan of the way you brought up how certain things- like hoarding junk food in the one room JARVIS couldn't disturb him, had become subconscious and that fact that his mind was betraying him scared him. It is an eerie thought.
I'm excited to see what the next chapter brings. :) (I'm guessing Avengers.)
Rubes99 chapter 9 . 12/12/2014
Powerful beyond belief. This, as well as being incredibly well-written and put together, has given me a lot to think about (in the best way possible). The whole story feels sort of out-of-control because of the second person POV, and it works so well because that's what Tony's experiencing. I'd assume most people dealing with similar things would feel the same way and (again) it's just really made me think.
In summary: beautiful work - the characters, the structure, the sort of poetic writing style - and amazing handling of the issues.
AnimeFan202 chapter 5 . 12/11/2014
It's interesting to think how becoming Iron Man would have impacted him, because you did a really good job of showing how stressful and overwhelming his life was before. Some things can just fit a little too easily into the canon storyline, can't they?
I also like that you've mentioned the PTSD already, because after Afghanistan... well, I just doubt those problems didn't start until after the Avengers.
Which I can only assume will be the next chapter. :)
AnimeFan202 chapter 4 . 12/11/2014
There's a definite, noticeable shift in Tony's mindset in this one, and I like that. Even when he's discussing the bulimia head-on, he seems a little more... optimistic, I guess. Even when he's discussing the relapses.

I also really liked how you added in more about his research and SHIELD and how sometimes, even if it's just for a short period of time, he manages to forget. It goes back to what he was saying in the last chapter- how his illness doesn't define him. It may be a huge part of his life, but there's more to his life than being bulimic.
AnimeFan202 chapter 3 . 12/10/2014
There were a lot of things I really liked in this chapter. The first time he's brought up bulimia by name, for instance and simultaneously stressing that it doesn't define him. I've got my own problems with an official name (not an eating disorder, something different) and I've worked recently on saying the words aloud to myself, and I get that it's a part of acceptance, but it just never sounds right to me... Like I understand the words and I understand my own problems, but the words can't possibly refer to me. So I can appreciate Tony holding back from labeling himself or putting himself in a box.

I also like Pepper. She does seem like the type who can handle just about anything as long as he lets her in, so I feel like this is a step in the right direction.

And lastly, something I thought of in the first chapter but forgot to mention. I can totally see Tony being bisexual as a canon thing. (And I don't mean to stereotype anyone by saying that; it just seems like it would fit with his character.) But mostly, I love that it's not a big thing. I mean, granted, he's got bigger things to worry about, but I love how you sort of just slipped it in there without feeling the need to explain or justify it. Kudos to you.
AnimeFan202 chapter 2 . 12/10/2014
What a promising ending. :) I like that you seem to be tackling each friendship one at a time. Because any sort of 'coming out' is rarely a 'whole world at the same time' thing. Revealing a huge secret is an ordeal to overcome with every single person you tell, not just the first one.
I like how real you're making this. Granted, the world /has/ gotten a little more understanding, but eating disorders are still looked at as being a teenage girl issue. I also like how you've brought in that the underlying issue is usually control and not the actual gaining of weight.
I'll be honest, I wish you used these "" for quotations marks instead of the apostrophes because sometimes I get lost until I realize that someone is talking (or isn't talking anymore) but I'll deal.
AnimeFan202 chapter 1 . 12/10/2014
Okay, I'll be honest, the only reason I haven't reviewed this story yet, after having it in my favorites for so long, is that I'm not entirely sure what to say. I absolutely love it. Some of it was hard to read, but in a good way, after helping a really close friend with an eating disorder, and I'm always left with feeling like I'm never going to be able to get across just how awesome I think this story is in my reviews... But I'm going to try.
I love the second person format. It's always just seemed so effective to me. I love it. I also love that you start at the beginning. I know this is technically logged as an Avengers story, but it's fitting that the events begin before Iron Man even happens. In almost every other eating disorder story I've read, it seems like the characters are getting help the second they realize they have a problem and often, that's not the way it actually happens.
I particularly love the robot analogies. (Is that the right word?) It's so fitting for Tony. He's never come across as being overly full of self-esteem, and using that particular way of letting him dehumanize himself just works.
There are places where words are misspelled or missing... If you ever plan to edit this, that's what I'd look for. But overall, I love this story, and I think this is an excellent beginning.
the-compulsive-tea-drinker chapter 9 . 10/9/2014
This is beautifully written. It was truly believable and I loved your ending because it wasn't the perfect happy ending, but it did end happily...if that makes sense! I'm quite emotional right now, if I'm being honest. There were definite tears welling up at moments, along with making me grin like an idiot at others. There really isn't much else to say (well there is, but I can't find the words.) Just keep writing I guess. I would love to read anything else you might write. :-)
whats up with jeremiah chapter 1 . 7/23/2014
All I can say is: WOW! You have done an amazing job on this story for the first chapter, and I'm sure that I'm going to read this thing in one sitting.

Here's a list of things I love:
1. Your use of 2nd person perspective - so often it's done badly or sounds like a choose-your-own-adventure novel, but the way you use it adds a great effect of weightiness to your writing. It's also rarely attempted and unique, so I appreciate that.
2. Your passage of time - it flows really well, it's a pleasure to read because nothing happens to quickly or too slowly.
3. Your characterization is spot on - the eating disorder compounded upon the things that I understood Tony as in canon
4. The disorder you chose is rarely written about - I can't count how many anorexia stories I've heard, and (once again with characterization) I think bulimia fits because Tony always does things in excess (like binging).
5. The way you end chapters/scenes - I don't know how to describe it, but you always end on the perfect line. The way you end a scene is the way it needed to be ended, if that makes sense?
6. There's a very nice medley of themes.
7. Your language/ syntax straight up beautiful.

Yeah - this is a real joy to read! I'm so happy there are nine chapters.
Guest chapter 9 . 7/22/2014
I just want to say thank you. I have first-hand experience with Bulimia, and I want to say thank you for writing such an emotionally riveting story that really spoke volumes to me. Your story was brilliantly written and I would like to say thank you for such an amazing journey your story took me on. Thank you.
57 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »