Reviews for The Other Side: Thick and Thin (Book 1)
Guest chapter 7 . 9/30/2017
Definetely one of the most underrated fanfics I stumbled about! Love the writing and chracterisation of Sirius - can't help but wish that this was his actual backstory!
Radio Free Death chapter 4 . 7/30/2017
[Sirius inwardly sneered when it became clear that Mary was going to try and drag her trunk along like everyone else. Stupid Mudblood, he thought, but he kept his face carefully neutral and his thoughts to himself.]

I believe this is one of the first times Sirius is so blunt with his prejudices, when before he sort of handwaved it away in his thoughts and supposedly having enough restraint not to say such words aloud if it'll only get him into trouble. It's an odd juxtaposition, that Sirius could keep these things to himself and have a straight face about it, when the mere mention of how his family sucks could have him whip out his wand.

[Instead he managed to read through Curses and Counter-Curses and halfway through Basic Hexes for the Busy and Vexed, jotting down notes on things he found particularly interesting or helpful. He figured that he'd better take the opportunity to study things like this during break, since he'd already spent so much time on his schoolwork while at Hogwarts. Besides, he'd have done anything to avoid seeing anymore of his mother's disappointed looks.]

Failed to mention this before, but this version of Sirius is very studious, spending what free time he has studying and perfecting himself. It's a stark contrast to how most authors write Sirius.

[As he watched his mother pin the repaired silver-colored snake into the black silk, Sirius felt warmth spread from his chest outward to his extremities. When Walburga finally smoothed the fabric back into place, he recognized the feeling as relief. He took his mother's hand before she could pull back, though he had no plan beyond that. They stared at each other in silence until Orion broke in with forced joviality.]

Well, aww!

It's also really nice that Sirius' parents decided on giving him Gryffindor-themed items to go with his Slytherin tiepin, such as the redone ring, scarves, and other things. Not to be outdone by a Potter, but also not to be underwhelming as a Black.

The most tragic scene to come of this is Regulus, who his parents don't really admire as much as Sirius because of his timidity, and their blatant regard of him being the backup son. Regulus cannot believe that his family are so accepting of Sirius despite being in a different house and so all I see is a desperate, frightened, angry boy acting out. It's really a shame that Sirius doesn't see that, or anyone else, for I assume that aside from the whipping there's not a more direct approach like say, having the two brothers sit down and talk and why Sirius isn't a blood traitor. I'm pretty sure that despite the Blacks saying they've told Regulus all of this in advance, I doubt they did any such thing for Regulus to feel so utterly betrayed of their acceptance.
Radio Free Death chapter 3 . 7/29/2017
[He had been trying to fit in by playing by everyone else's rules...He had tried to fit in with all of the other Gryffindors but had been met with ridicule and distrust. It wasn't very surprising at all given that he wasn't really a Gryffindor. Oh, sure, the Sorting Hat had decided that his personality was more suited to Gryffindor than to Slytherin, but surely these things ran far deeper than what a hat could possibly know.
Sirius was a Black, first and foremost.]

It's satisfying to see this being a major conflict in the story. It doesn't take the easy way out by having Sirius reject his heritage from the start, but rather to apply it in a new situation, only to realize he can't have it both ways. James antagonizes him every second he gets, further isolating Sirius from his peers, until Sirius decides it is them who should recognize him for what he is.

I also love how Sirius' first friend among the future Marauders is Peter rather than James. At first, it seems that their relationship is purely to spite James, yet upon further reading it does seem that Sirius cares for him and wants him to get better at Charms.

[I can't say that I was not disappointed to learn that you had been sorted anywhere except Slytherin, particularly into Gryffindor, but I suppose that in retrospect it isn't such a surprise. You have always had a different temperament from most of the family. I'm sure you recall that the two of us have had discussions about this before.]

Arcturus has become more than a sidenote in canon. He feels like a real character here.

He's not entirely pleased that his grandson is in another house, but he sees it as both an opportunity to learn from the Gryffindors as well as confirming his own suspicions about Sirius. He genuinely cares about Sirius and goes right ahead to scolding members of his family for treating him unfairly, yet he also has a firm belief in Blacks being better than everyone else, so much so he nearly says this in every paragraph in his letter.

The pin scene was all kinds of tragic and infuriating, though really McGonagall could've used a better argument against Sirius attacking James - don't immediately resort to violence and caps lock when being antagonized.
Radio Free Death chapter 2 . 7/9/2017
I failed to mention in the previous chapter how you put a lot of effort into making the Black family actual people, and Sirius realistically seeing their viewpoint as the correct one because he doesn't know anything better. A lot of stories handwave this issue by having him Just Know that his family is wrong without explaining how he got to his conclusion. I can kinda see that Orion is not nearly as fussy with concerning about the filthy commoners as say, his wife, who've I've already pointed out in chapter one can be a bit much. Still, you can see the love between Walburga and her son.

[Everyone ignored him, as they knew he was simply jealous that his brother was going to Hogwarts and getting his own owl when Regulus himself could not.]

There are passages like this where it kinda tells what's already inferred by subtext alone. Like the dialogue. I know Reg is jealous, you don't need to say it twice.

[but his grandparents would think that his black shirt and gray trousers were pitiful just for not being robes.]

That draws a lot of unwanted thoughts, like, do they only wear a robe? No underwear, socks, shoes? I know this is canon fail, but when you think about it, everything wizards wear IS muggle clothing. You can't really get away from it.

[He and his family must have done a good job of dressing like they were supposed to, because they didn't seem to be attracting any more attention than Sirius was used to when he went out.]

I wonder if they could've also changed the trunks to not look like something one would buy from an antique store? It's just that these things stick out - owls in cages when they're wild animals and not pets, the trunks...

I also can't help but notice that in the span of one day, Sirius encounters canon cast. I can understand one or two - James' intro made some sense as he was kicked out of his compartment and is looking for whatever he can take. But then Lily and Severus show up later, Remus also happens to be the one to assure Sirius before they go to bed, and finally Peter is there to round up the Marauder cast. Maybe if their introductions were spread out, like say, Sirius meets Peter in a class alongside a non-canon character, or have other Gryffindors mixed into the cast then it wouldn't seem so forced.

It's really realistic of Sirius to still freak out and sending a letter to assure his parents that being in Gryffindor is the last thing in the world he wanted. I wonder though, instead of offering the suggestion of switching schools, why can't they just switch classes? I know if this happens then there'd be no class tension, but surely someone should've tried this approach by now? Maybe Sirius suggests it as a possibility, and then finds hurdles with that as well.
Radio Free Death chapter 1 . 7/8/2017
[Walburga Black despised many things. Chief among them, of course, were Muggles, Mudbloods, and blood traitors,]

Muggle isn't capitalized, for the same reason we don't capitalize human, wizard, or dog, for example.

[Even though the letters were standardized and hadn't changed at all in decades, Sirius's was passed around and perused as if the ladies had never read one before.]

This is such a nice detail. It really feels like Sirius is just flushed and happy at getting his letter, and everyone else is indulging in his happiness.

["Siri," she caught his attention]

If there isn't a speech verb, it's considered the start of a new sentence, so there should be a period rather than a comma inside the quotes, and 'she' should be capitalized.

[Exploding Snap]

Exploding snap isn't capitalized, in the same reason we don't capitalize chess and basketball.

[It was technically illegal for Sirius to perform magic outside of Hogwarts, as Arcturus knew full well as a member of the Wizengamot. However, the Trace could only detect the presence of magic and not the specific caster, so there was no way for anyone to know that it was Sirius casting spells instead of one of the adults or a house elf. And Arcturus Black had never followed a rule he didn't have to follow, despite his chosen profession.]

Yeah, this has always been a weird rule to me. How is this enforced, if it's so easy to break by doing what Sirius' family just did? It seems like the rule should really be that an underage wizard shouldn't perform magic without a guardian present.

[Walburga spared the wizard a disgusted glance before muttering something to her husband, of which Sirius only caught the words "filth" and "such gall."]

It's noted that Walburga takes Team Blood Purity to an extreme, though I'm not sure if it's just her or the silliness of the concept. I mean, royalty back then didn't spend their time scoffing at the peasants and talking about how blue their blood is. I'm surprised she's able to go to the ice cream shop and the joke shop without complaining that the wizards that run it are filth.

[Sirius with his hand in his pocket since he was unwilling to let go of his new wand just yet.]

Sirius is just so adorable in this story.
accountisunused chapter 12 . 2/28/2017
I just finished this fic and let me say that it is hands down the best Sirius-centered fic ever. There were definitely parts I was wary about but you handled everything so well and the fic was just so well written that I don't think I could not love it. I already know it's going to be one I come back to and reread a lot. And okay, how dare you play with my emotions by ending with Sirius killing someone? Sooo not okay. And the whole complicated mess with Rabastan was just- I have no words.
By far though, Sirius and James's slow friendship and his complicated family (so much praise for not making them 100% evil, Voldemort-supporting lunatics) were my favorite things about this. Plus, moral grayness is always fun to read about. Especially because Sirius starts out completely indoctrinated into his family's belief but (very, very) slowly starts to thing otherwise. It's portrayed really well and I'm so glad I was lucky enough to have stumbled across this fic. I can't wait to start the next one, although considering it has one chapter... well, I just hope you choose to update Crossroads.
So all in all, this was a very enjoyable and refreshing read, especially because it deviates so much from common interpretations (and occasionally, my interpretation) of Sirius. All the love!
sirius fan chapter 1 . 11/29/2016
second chapter in book 2 pls!*puppy dog eyes*
I never like sirius with OCs or with his family for that matter...but u wrote it in such a way that I couldn't stop myself from reading this...*kuddos*loved your books
i never thought of a fic in which there would be sirius/rabastan slash...but anyways loved this pairing...pls don't stop writing this...
i wonder whose side sirius would choose...i hope rabastan...i m quite enjoying this dark sirius thing!
LoVeD It!
For real tho chapter 1 . 9/19/2016
I hate you, with a burning passion. YOU'VE MADE ME SHIP SIRIUS X RABASTAN. That's a serious wtf right there. Never in my life I would've thought they'd make a fucking amazing couple. I'm a huuuge Marauders fan ,but I gotta say, I'm really loving Dark Siri. You're making me unconsciously root for him to be in Slytherin and to fucking kill that prat Potter but still rip Snape (he will never be loved by any of the Marauders). That is the definition of a writers gift, to make a person once so set in their ways, change. Rip I've only seen one chapter of "Book 2" and I'm patiently yet anxiously waiting for chapter 2- End lol. But I know some authors hate being pushed, so I'll just be quietly lurking around somewhere...
Clove1113 chapter 12 . 6/7/2016
AHHH! So good. I really hope you haven't given up on this story. I really love it. I'm interested in your Regulus-I want to see more of him.
Guest chapter 11 . 4/16/2016
you deserve more reviews than the ones you've got. one of the best fanfics I've ever read 3
noda9912 chapter 12 . 1/25/2016
That was great. I started reading it and almost stopped a few times because usually i don't like OCs or having Sirius be close to his family, but then i read the first chapter and you really made the Black family nice. I've never seen it written like this. They are written like they are actual people and not just dark wizards. I absolutely loved that. Then you wrote about Rabastan, and now i can't stop reading. Amazing job bring in the OC then having another conflict. It's beyond amazing. Love Sirius and his entire.

Quick question, who is Sirius going to end up with? Personality I hope Rabastan.
ChrisR675 chapter 1 . 1/20/2016
I throughly enjoyed this story, especially the parts where Sirius's skill at reading people to manipulate them comes into play.
Guest chapter 11 . 11/28/2015
Thank you for this chapter! It's been a great read, I can't wait to see what comes next :)
unlove chapter 11 . 10/29/2015
This is not my usual choice of fanfic. I rarely read anything not specifically focused on the current generation. For some reason, I came across this and decided to give it a shot. And loved it! I almost cried when I went to start the second part and saw it wasn't posted.

I think you have written a great story that really delves into who Sirius was and how hard it must have been for him to deal with everything happening at the time, from the political climate to getting sorted into Gryffindor.
I do hope you'll post soon!
WatchingAsYouFall chapter 11 . 10/27/2015
I'm interested to see why you think Pollux's having a child at 13 is unbelievable, other than that, this is a fantastic story and I look forward to reading more soon.
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »