Reviews for Good Girls Don't
Sailor Pandabear chapter 1 . 3/8
lemon-rind chapter 1 . 10/6/2014
I like the way you've interpreted good and bad. Thanks for the shot!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/6/2014
brilliant oneshot.
Concolor44 chapter 1 . 12/21/2013
I enjoyed this story quite a bit. It explored some avenues that I just BET a lot of people find uncomfortable to contemplate. Your point about the Inquisitors considering themselves "good" is ... well, close. I'm sure SOME of them thought they were doing good. Sadly, many of the higher Inquisitors were purely political animals, and targeted certain people, families, and institutions for purely material gain. They had no qualms about condemning innocents to death, and used their offices (on occasion) to execute unspeakable evils.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church (to use a current and easily-identifiable institution) will tell you without hesitation that they are good people who are doing good - as they define it - and are carrying out the Lord's will ... even as they picket the funeral of a soldier killed in action, and hurl the vilest invective at the grieving family. Let's just say that THEIR God is not MY God.

Your descriptions of Ms. Go and her hyper-religious crusades were ... chilling. I have a few quotes that ran through my mind at different times, and I'd like to share them:
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion." -Arthur C. Clarke
"We have just enough religion to make us hate but not enough to make us love one another." -Jonathan Swift
"As I stood before the gates I realized that I never want to be as certain about anything as were the people who built this place."-Rabbi Peltz, speaking of Auschwitz
"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both." -Eric Hoffer
"Too many people believe they are thinking when all they are really doing is rearranging their prejudices." -Luther Burbank
"No one means all he says, and yet very few say all they mean, for words are slippery and thought is viscous." -Henry Brooks Adams

Good and evil are ephemeral concepts, easy to say, hard to explain. At their root they are moral ideas, as opposed to ethical. That's a nice distinction that needs to be observed: morality and ethics are not the same. They are not the same AT ALL.

An act or position is ethical when it does the least harm to a given population. That's pretty much it. Ethical behavior will tend to offer the greatest number of people the largest benefit available in a given situation.

Morality, on the other hand, is culturally based. Honor-killing one's teenage daughter because she was raped is considered moral, laudable, and necessary in some Islamic societies that practice Shari'a Law. That same act will get you life in prison in Western cultures. Another example: during the British Raj, Her Majesty's Prefect of Police attended the funeral of a local hetman who had died. The village elder stated, "My conscience tells me to burn a widow on her husband's pyre." The Prefect responded, "My conscience tells me to hang you if you do." See, both men were taking a moral position, given their cultures. But only one of those positions could be considered ethical.

And I've rambled on far too long. Mea culpa.

On the strength of the moral/ethical arguments presented here, this story MUST go into Favorites.
WyrdeDragon chapter 1 . 10/24/2013
Okay, this is officially now my favorite version of Shego's parents. It really makes sense for how she and her brothers ended up they way they were. I really, really like what you did here, with the greater depths of morality than you usually saw on the show, without going too overboard on "realism" in the story.

This reminds me of a line from the musical "Into the Woods". The Witch sings "You're all so nice. You're not Good, you're not Bad, you're just Nice. Well I'm not Good, I'm not Bad, I'm just Right." Good, evil, right, wrong, all much more complex than they talked implied.

Thanks for sharing it.
Soulfulbard chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
I came for the interesting concept, I hung around for the They Might Be Giants reference and I stayed for the awesome moral complexity. Excellent work!
The Last Poison Apple chapter 1 . 8/7/2013
This was really, really deep, but it didn't feel heavy at all. It's a very interesting read.
TempestDash chapter 1 . 8/4/2013
I liked it. I honestly thought it was going to end up more heavy handed than it did and enjoyed the result. There are comments to be drawn between the evil in the original episode being transformed here from cackling-world-domination to extreme-Catholicism, but I don't really care enough to make them. It's all flying spaghetti monster to me anyway.

Nice job. Always nice to read a story by you.
BlueLion chapter 1 . 8/4/2013
So glad you decided to publish this one, it is very good, and it tends to make one verify ones own belief system - I think you're on the right track with the recommended course in this story! gonna put this one up on my favs and into my community, too!
Alsike chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
Great fic! Thank you for sharing these things! Happy tasty treats from one of my favorite writers!
Jimmy1201 chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
Whoa, using Kim Possible as a vehicle to seriously explore the underlying meaning of good and evil. I feel like I've been to class. :)

Invader Johnny chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
Well I can say that I'm glad Ms Go is no longer around, in my eyes she kinda represented the WBC and I HATE that damn cult so um yeah, glad Kim saw the loght, no pun intended and planned on doing the right thing.

All in all this was a good fic, now I'm off to read the sequel.

Invader Johnny Signing Off.
kapuis chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
Excellent fic.
It's really original and I like that Kim make a mistake and especially that Ms Go is more terrible that Shego.
I really like the end.
HairyLimey chapter 1 . 8/3/2013
Only one thing would make this story better... a nice long follow up;)