Reviews for Obedience
Rapunzeline chapter 1 . 9/29/2014
Oh, wow…that last part reminds me so much of my dad, who is always telling me not to grow up and still hasn't quite reconciled himself to the fact that, despite my best efforts not to, I already have.

I think my favorite part of this story is the Bible verses you incorporated, though––considering Cosette's upbringing, it would make perfect sense for those verses to be a part of how she thinks and makes sense of life. The part about her copying the verses from Luke throughout her life is just beautiful. And the ones about obedience…every kid who grew up Christian can relate.

I love how you write Valjean and Cosette's relationship; it's so sweet and tender, but also realistic.
Corin chapter 1 . 11/1/2013
This was absolutely precious.
Noelani618 chapter 1 . 10/18/2013
I read and favorited this piece a while ago and now I'm finally leaving a review!

That said, who changed the format so that I can't highlight and copy my favorite parts now to tell the writer? *is sad*

Well, guess I'll have to paraphrase. :)

This, rebecca-in-blue, is absolutely gorgeous and a heart melting look at Valjean and Cosette's relationship! It is also very unique in its approach, focusing on Cosette's obedience to Valjean and how their relationship grew and evolved based on that obedience, which came from trust. I adore that Valjean's favorite command was for Cosette to kiss him on the cheek and Cosette's delight in obeying. *melts at image*

I also LOVE the Bible verses you referenced regarding children obeying and honoring their parents and how those teachings curbed the urge she had to obey her father later when she saw Marius. I also love the contrast to the abuse and screamed commands from the Thenardiers that Cosette doesn't really remember anymore because of her life with Valjean and his love for her and yet the old habits and responses still linger. This concludes nicely with Cosette's musing about the two parts of her and how it is part of growing up.

But above that, the idea of Cosette copying down the verses where the angels say "Do not be afraid" and the light this brings to Valjean as he realizes how God brought the two of them together is AMAZING! Amazing, wonderful, and a beautiful testament of God's hand and his love as seen in Valjean and Cosette's lives despite their hardships.

Bravo! :D
Darkover chapter 1 . 10/10/2013
Dear rebecca-in-blue: This story is so good, so beautifully written. It is sweet without being cloying or unduly sentimental, and I am so glad that you based it on the 2012 movie, for that is my favorite version. Your descriptions were so good that I could just see Valjean and little Cosette-and then Cosette when she was older. You have done a wonderful job of portraying the father-daughter relationship between the good but desperately-lonely man and the abused child. Characterization was excellently written, and so were the descriptions and the dialogue. I also commend you for the originality of your approach-you portrayed how their relationship grew out of that first encounter, and how it was based on obedience as well as love-until one day, she could obey him no longer. This is great, and I very much enjoyed reading it. Thanks for writing and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
adaon45 chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
I know what you mean about watching the movie for the 500th time. And I, too, am entranced by how it portrays the relationship between Valjean and Cosette. You do such a lovely job fleshing out that relationship, right down to Cosette's mixed feelings about being protected as she is growing up. That seems very psychologically accurate.

Really beautiful! Please write more.
RayneSummer chapter 1 . 8/15/2013
This is fantastic... really amazing. You managed to capture their thoughts and feelings so well. This is also very inspiring to me to write some more Les Mis fics. Thank you so much for sharing :) Rayne
Deep Forest Green chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
Aww! Loved the Bible references. You did a great job of capturing their relationship!
Elodie.Haven chapter 1 . 8/4/2013
another lovely story! I love it, it warms my heart...