Reviews for Now You're Thinking with Real Science
WanderingWatermelon chapter 22 . 3/22
Oh my god this is so awesome! And so addictive! I love it!
WanderingWatermelon chapter 3 . 2/23
The scene with Wheatley actually broke my heart a little T.T
Lewot chapter 22 . 2/22
The realization that in a few decades or so the voice actors will start dying off and will never be able to create an audiobook of this makes me want to strap bombs to various multiverses and feed them into a wood chipper. Like, seriously, it's not possible, but somehow I'm going to make it happen. (The audiobook thing, not the wood chipper thing. Well, one or the other.)

With the first section, I had this weird sense that I was almost actually playing another Portal game, since Chell is, well, being Chell, not responding but going along with the tests. But you could definitely feel the... it's hard to put the atmosphere of that scene into words. GLaDOS's confusion is stated; Chell's... What do you call that thing when you're sort of using anger to keep yourself from breaking down? But what I'm more trying to get at here is, even when we directly get Chell's perspective, I feel like you've done this clever thing where it's like... Despite the subject matter, Portal games are completely linear, but they certainly do their best not to make it feel that way, and from this I'm getting this sense of like, you having taken that sort of predeterminedness of the player's role and incorporated it into, well, I'm not sure if it's Chell's character, maybe it's more just the situation she's in, but it's like... In the same way that the games are good and can even feel quite chaotic despite being linear, Chell doesn't really have a choice in what she does here, but the fact that she's scrutinizing her one choice for potential options, erm, seems to call on that same sense of... whatever I've just been babbling about. I honestly have no clue. But I guess it's one of those things where Chell is a character who's mostly up for interpretation, and the fact that what you've done is giving me interesting if incoherent feelings instead of, well, doing any of the various not-interesting things that people might do when given free reign over a character's interpretation, means that, um... you're better at using that than most people, even though you were probably not specifically going for any of the things I've been failing to say.

ANYway... Dib/Wheatly/Zim/GIR are more straightforward but just as brilliant, and it always makes me smile. I curse myself into the depths of Old Aperture for forgetting just how good you were, but there were quite a number of times during this chapter where I found myself thinking, "Oh, that's TOTALLY what X would say!" And I really mean it about the voice actors, because as good as the material already is, it's so much better to imagine it in their actual voices.

The empathy chip thing is a good plot point because it wouldn't be as interesting to just repeat the same plot as Portal 2, and it's also an example of how deep you dig into the lore, which is absolutely perfect with these particular franchises as the fans tend to be that obsessive. It's also... I feel like your GLaDOS is portrayed with less empathy than most (she's always shown to hide it, of course, but it's usually there), which isn't anything against you - too often her role as villain is undermined, and you've fairly emphasized the computery part, with how fast she (or She) can think and all that. At any rate it will be interesting to see what happens if the empathy plan comes to any kind of fruition.

Now Gaz, well, I guess I haven't read that much Zim fanfiction, but in the actual show she didn't have much screentime, and yet somehow your lines for her are just as evocative to me as everyone else's. And while she's not too keen on Chell at the moment, I kind of like that there's almost a thing developing where Gaz is the one person Chell is willing to talk to. It's been out of necessity so far, and you probably didn't intend it that way, but I think it would be a neat little relationship quirk thing.

Oh, and I forgot to ask before, are Nick and Gloria and so forth based on some of the dummied-out cores? I know there was supposed to be a paranoid one, anyway... I mean I know Nick is also a reference to the one kid from Zim, but.
LM1991 chapter 22 . 2/22
Thank you for updating! It was a lovely chapter, as always. I'm having trouble picking what I liked best this time around - the way Wheatley keeps going on about GIR being two-eyed? GLaDOS's insults? The interaction between Gaz and Chell because HELL I love that. Chell's so maternal with her - or, well, protective.
And I swear Nick's personality reminds me of the Nick in the IZ cartoons... Did you do that on purpose?
BabyCharmander chapter 21 . 1/19
Tiem to review NEXT CHAPTER.

I like how Nick is cheerfully going on about really depressing stuff, like all the test subjects that died. Also the part where he rushes at the other cores like “MY FRIENDS!” and the Fear core runs off screaming still makes me laugh.

OH YIKES, poor Gloria! D%;; OH GOSH YOU CHANGED THIS SCENE HOLY SMOKES

I wonder if that skull necklace will be important later…

The phrase “test-solving junk” is hilarious to me for some reason. Shows pretty well how Chell feels about it.

Gosh I love how you used the cake line here.

I was thinking for a second “man would Nick want to drop her” but her lie makes it work. Also it suddenly occurred to me-the animal she was thinking of was a pig, wasn’t it? The “not in this dimension” comment was referring to the one she met in Gaz: Taster of Pork, right?

OH RIGHT I FORGOT ABOUT THIS SCENE WITH MEMBRANE AND SPACE CORE. Thank you Space Core you are an A core and deserve all the space.

I like how Wheatley views GIR as “the two-eyed robot” ahaha. LOL is the “space cube” comment a reference to Markiplier?

Ooooh… yes Dib you are a person. Please do not think that you are not. D%;

XDXD I like how Wheatley forgot to give the message at first. Also the “you can’t see the stars down there” line is really poignant, for some reason. also-also DIB-DAD. Oh and of course Space Core must start rambling about stars as soon as he sees them.

Oh gosh, Wheatley, never, EVER think that. That is TEMPTING FATE.

Aaaaaaa you must needs hurry up and work on more of this so I can beta-read it aaaaaa
BabyCharmander chapter 20 . 1/18
TIEM TO REVIEW OLD CHAPTERS THAT I HAVE ALREADY READ BUT ONLY IN BETA FORM

Zim needs his safe box thingy right now. Okay but seriously, poor Zim…

Ahaha I like the reason the normally-peaceful turrets there finally decide to attack someone. Great job, GIR.

Oh my gosh, I don’t remember the scene with the turrets happening this way. Or maybe I just forgot it. Either way I am laughing.

Gosh, I don’t want to even think about whatever food Dib found there.

Dib no please do not think things like that. D%

Aaah it makes me happy that they consider each other to be friends.

a suspended duck

“Dib’s fists clenched” i’m sorry all I can think of is that stupid arthur meme

Is Wheatley deliberately getting Rick’s name wrong or does he seriously not know

Oh gosh, ewww, I forgot about the part with Zim’s eye. DX

Gosh, poor Dib. I’m glad he realized that GLaDOS was lying about a lot of things. Also okay I know Zim is a jerk, but I feel legit bad for him here. Dib doesn’t know what he went through, though he should obviously be able to tell SOME of it through Zim’s appearance. Even as bad as the stuff Dib went through was, what Zim went through was nightmarish.

That was… weirdly sweet of GIR.

Poor turret. D% Oh man though, GLaDOS STILL doesn’t know Chell is there… she’s in for a shock.
Aryashi chapter 21 . 11/26/2016
Glad to see this show up in my notifications again! Love Dib and Wheatley chatting about robots and people, and Gaz feeling guilty about melting the core. Thanks for posting!
Lewot chapter 21 . 11/26/2016
It's funny how well that Fairly Odd Parents line fits Membrane. That show may have gone way downhill, but it sure gave us some good lines in its prime.

Anyways, flawless as ever, which admittedly starts to get hard to comment about. I will say that I was surprised about Gloria, but then I remembered that you'd already killed off Minimoose and - "Facty?" Did he have a proper name? I need to reread stuff...

Now, don't worry too much about the wait time because your chapters are usually long and it would take me a lifetime just to finish one of the same quality. That said, Chell and GLaDOS are finally back together. I... I REALLY want to see how this goes. Especially after this chapter's last line.
Krazyfanfiction1 chapter 21 . 11/26/2016
BRILLIANT as always
well worth the wait!
ArtofthePlate chapter 20 . 6/21/2016
Good to have you back! You've nailed everyone's characters down well.
Guest chapter 20 . 5/23/2016
YAY! Update! Still awesome!
C0rrupt3dSpy chapter 20 . 5/23/2016
yes I was hoping this was still alive.

also how does GLaDOS smile.
Aryashi chapter 20 . 5/23/2016
Oh man, Dib and Zim finally collide! I'm glad Wheatley finally confessed his shady past, and Zim's moment with the turrets was fucking hilarious. XDD Thanks for posting!
Supersilver46 chapter 20 . 5/23/2016
Well now Zim and Dib are working together to get out of Aperture, I can't wait to see what happens next.
Lewot chapter 20 . 5/23/2016
Once again, flawlessly in-character. So many people just want to ship Dib and Zim or at least make them friends without going over how they got there, and where's the fun in that? But here, they're forced together, it makes sense, and nobody's happy about it (except maybe GIR). Yet the sympathy that Dib does show for Zim makes him a good role model without being so contrived as to take away from his character. Wheatley finally explaining his whole story was nice too, and a sort of relief of pressure, but then we get some replacement dramatic irony in Zim not telling the others he's chipped, and with that plus the concluding scene, suspense is still high. You're just so good at creating this tension that shows what GLaDOS would really be like when you're not safe at home viewing the plot on a distinctly non-sentient computer, and yet you simultaneously capture the inane humor of the Zim side, without the latter ruining the former. Basically, you're doing multiple things that each are extremely impressive on their own, but to get all of them right, well. What can I say?