Reviews for Whatever This Is
spacemonkey78 chapter 18 . 5/21
Ugg, Neal. Although I ended up liking him towards his canon end I hate him here due to Henry's immature instant attachment and the fact that he seems to see Henry more than Henry's only rightful parent. Dammit, I'm having anger flashbacks at the anti-adoption messaging of the show. Great writing there, the angry tension balanced with Regina's helplessness acceptance in being treated as an afterthought on the peripheral in the lives of those she loves most is too real here. Ruby is a great wing-woman for both women and of course jealousy is the much needed catalyst to jumpstart Emma's brain and heart before the happy ending.
spacemonkey78 chapter 17 . 5/20
Dropping in to finally say how much I love this story that I'm reading for the second time. I've had the tab open for a while and finally am getting around to finishing it up. I liked the characterization and exploration of a friendship between Emma and Regina that skirted the line with being more between them until it was, and I do always see Regina as being the more self aware between the two because for whatever else she is Regina is fairly honest about her strengths, weaknesses and motivations when it comes to love when she's not performing for an audience of people who hate her; she didn't always do the right thing but when push came to shove she acknowledged truth unlike most of the other characters. Emma was being a bad friend with the running and expecting Regina to always be there when she came back but she's not being a bad friend or potential partner in this part of the story, she's simply lying to herself and that's sad but also something a lot of queer people are guilty of since compulsive heterosexuality is such a powerful thing. I completely relate to Emma's belief that best friends who love each other is all that exists between them in this chapter, I was that clueless idiot at one point in my life. You'll get there Emma, David the true love believer will help.

The fear of how Regina will be now that Emma isn't around for her to be good for is disappointing but also such a canon thing since this assumption of reverting stuck around for a long time (got on my last nerve too) and for everyone but Emma and Henry it was understandable but worst thing Emma does in this story is out Regina to someone else definitively, that's a terrible thing to do even though Ruby's reaction was funny and her comments about Snow's reaction was a hilarious visual.

The last scene was gut wrenching, Regina's retreat behind a wall of ingrained courtly manners to hide her sadness jumps off the page as does Emma's last minute hope and then eventual acceptance that Regina really isn't going to change her until her realization there at the end.

Great stuff here.
Nascar3L chapter 22 . 4/8
Loved, loved, loved this! Great ending. The proposal was perfect!
Nascar3L chapter 20 . 4/8
Yes, thank God she came to her senses!
Nascar3L chapter 12 . 4/8
The emotion in the chapter! Of course, Emma ran! Dammit!
Nascar3L chapter 9 . 4/8
Really enjoying this so far. I love the banter, to friends, to this deep growing emotional connection. I totally think Emma should get her a friendship bracelet though would be super cute!
Chels chapter 22 . 12/15/2017
One of my fave fics ever! Beautifully written, thanks for sharing x
turtleback chapter 22 . 11/29/2017
Lovely story
marymo9 chapter 21 . 10/17/2017
This was fantastic! Thank you for sharing!
GKT0311 chapter 22 . 9/9/2017
Loved this. Well done!
AngelGem chapter 22 . 9/7/2017
I absolutely loved this story! So well written! I could feel the passion as if I were there and living it! Brilliant!
everything.regal chapter 22 . 7/29/2017
oh I loved this story! I wish it was longer
Guest chapter 22 . 7/12/2017
I just want to say that your story was really incredible. You did such an amazing job of realistically describing the changes in their relationship. So many of the friend to lover stories feel off. The progression is strange. You manage to highlight lovely moments while still skipping ahead in time. It was believable and beautiful.
Guest chapter 22 . 6/12/2017
Loved it. Perfect. Thank you
isaatiragram chapter 22 . 5/15/2017
This story is so good! Thank you so much for writing it! It's beautiful, I loved every piece of writing