Reviews for The Other Mockingjay
SoThere chapter 7 . 21h ago
That was so beautiful. One of the best "first times" I've ever read. Nice job!
SoThere chapter 1 . 4/15
Finally getting around to reviewing this after I saw a rec on Tumblr. I loved The Wedding, and this has already got me hooked. :)
VanillaSnowflake chapter 40 . 4/12
It took me a few weeks, but I finished reading this great story tonight! What a hot, angsty, satisfying roller coaster ride! I liked how you entertained your own ideas with canon. I especially like that Finnick is alive and well and that Peeta didn't get hijacked. Thanks for this labour of love (yeah, pun was intended)!
Melladeen chapter 16 . 4/8
I cried. I have never cried from reading a fic before. Superb job. I'm still wiping tears.
cfigueroa78 chapter 39 . 4/5
I don't think I ever cried during a birth scene before. This was so beautiful and bittersweet for Katniss. I don't have children so I can't imagine the terror now combined with grief that she's feeling. Giving her daughter a name that's so symbolic was perfect. She's taking back the power and security that was taken from her. I remember my sister having to give birth three days after our father passed away. He was the most important person in our world and watching my sister give birth amidst such intense grief was heartbreaking but beautiful. I'm glad Katniss found some much needed peace the moment her daughter was born.
cfigueroa78 chapter 33 . 4/4
The other Mockingjay could be a number of people - Gale, Peeta, perhaps Finnick. Not sure why the crucial piece of the title of this story will be revealed at the end. Making it clear who that second mockingjay is now would make more sense so we can match their actions with who it is instead of guessing. Hints Katniss made about Gale being Mockinjay 2 is fine but has he been in the spotlight enough for us to notice? No. He's pretty much similar to Gale in the original and if he's building those bombs that ruin Katniss' life and kills innocent children, I can't understand why he would be a positive role model.
cfigueroa78 chapter 31 . 4/4
There's a confusing point here about Johanna. Selling her after the games was problematic and killing everyone in her life was the result of that. So Snow had nothing to hold over her head to force her into it anymore. Why then did she receive envelopes earlier in this story? In the control room she received one from Snow. Why? She was out of the game and he had nothing to force her into it. Doesn't make sense.
cfigueroa78 chapter 29 . 4/4
As a therapist, I can understand Dr. Aurelius' concern for Katniss and yes, he sure as hell violated patient confidentiality. Aside from violating a patient's privacy, it actually causes serious harm to them in various ways. Someone like Katniss, who is private did something very difficult - she confided in Dr. Aurelius and he destroyed any trust she has in him. It should be no surprise that she will never utter anything personal to him again. Later on there is resentment, feeling betrayed and exploited. What he did was exploit her weaknesses. But on the other side of the coin, he did this as a means to protect a patient from harming themselves which is a priority. He just should have done it in a less humiliating way. Considering there's a war going on, I would never condone this but in this case I would - he could have threatened her quietly to expose everything he said in that room or even threaten her with hospitalization. Sometimes desperate attempts are made to ensure a patient's safety in times of crisis such as war.
cfigueroa78 chapter 26 . 4/4
It's very difficult to hear Katniss not want to be known by her married way and does it in the most insensitive way possible. It's even harder to refer to a child she created with Peeta as the creation of Snow. Yes, it was forced but to equate it with a sick, demented psychopath is just cruel. For the first time reading this story, I really believe Katniss doesn't deserve Peeta or her daughter. As of now, she is an awful wife and mother. Yes, she and Peeta had their lives ripped apart and violated but she only looked at is from the most pessimistic angles. Would she have been happier is she was sold to the highest bidder and then whored out everyday like the others had to? Would she have liked the same for Peeta? It would have for him too. Katniss is a great character in the series but often had so many unlikable qualities. And these qualities always costed her in the end. In canon when Peeta was hijacked, it took that event for her to see how lucky she was to have his love and that she loved him too.
cfigueroa78 chapter 25 . 4/4
I'm getting confused as to why this story is called, "the other mockingjay". Katniss is the mockingjay - who is the other? It's even a bit confusing as to why she's the mockingjay only because that status was reinforced when she finally had enough and blew up the whole arena in CF. That moment was a clear message that she had enough. Nothing to that effect happened in this story to push her into being the face of the rebellion. The berries yes but in canon, she kept doing other rebellious things, Rue's dedication at 11, the whipping post incident, the mockingjay dress at the interviews. Her actions here don't follow a rebellion pattern because she simply did what she was told to keep her family safe. Lastly I understand what you meant about the bible and I think those who were offended took it out of context. Religion is actually powerful force against oppression. People need to remember that almost every communist or dictatorship regime bans religion out of fear that it would give people ways to think for themselves and believe in a power higher than the ones currently oppressing them.
cfigueroa78 chapter 24 . 4/4
It always bothered me in the canon how that crazy bitch Coin felt entitled despite the fact that 13 was the one that started the dark war and then made a deal with the Capitol and disappeared by being left alone. The districts then suffered the punishment of what 13 started. Every other district had to live a life of hell. After 75 years of hiding and not having to endure what every other district went through - they reappear with a sense of entitlement - Coin really. I never understood how SC never drove that point home in canon. Nobody owed her or 13 a damn thing - and yet she made demands. I love how she calls herself President Coin when she didn't do shit to earn the title of leadership. I was so glad Katniss killed her.
cfigueroa78 chapter 22 . 4/4
Poor Cinna - still helping her make a statement even after what they did to him. He was always a favorite character of mine. I think being dead is better than being an avox. They are just treated like animals after being mutilated. I'm glad in the canon, he went out as a major part of the revolution - creating the mockingjay.
cfigueroa78 chapter 20 . 4/4
I'm getting antsy wondering who the other Mockingjay is? Is it Prim? I was certain it was Emilia and it should have been until she's gunned down.
cfigueroa78 chapter 19 . 4/4
I think that if not having a baby means her family is put in danger, I honestly think her family would rather suffer than see these two have a baby who gets reaped and killed. In other words, as an aunt and grandmother - Prim and Katniss's mother would rather protect this baby from being born into this hellhole - even if it means dying. Even Haymitch.
cfigueroa78 chapter 16 . 4/4
Wtf?! Emilia dies? Did any of them notice that an illegal weapon was sent to Kora. I don't even think her mentors sent it.
1,100 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »