Reviews for Staying
lojosmom chapter 8 . 8/28
It has been so long since you updated. I keep this story on my favorite list, hoping to see more. You are doing so well with it. I really enjoy the relationship between Sirius and Harry. I like how you portray Sirius as a responsible adult and not as the constantly immature Marauder he was in school.
MaxRideLuver02 chapter 8 . 8/4
Please, please, PLEASE update again soon! I just read all 8 chapters today and I loved it! :) I love stories with more of a relationship between Sirius and Harry-I wish he hadn't died (PLEASE don't make him die! :( Please! lol)
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 8 . 7/11
I felt really sorry for Ron at the canon line "Not a really good one." Somehow this stuck out a bit more than in OotP. Ron, even when he's asking for what he wants in a present, has to ask for "cheep but new" rather than "really good". He could have worded it differently, as say "A good keeper broom ... they aren't too expensive" or what he actually said a page or so later in OotP "there's the new Cleensweep out, that'd be great."
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 7 . 7/11
Harry not being seen going to and from Dumbledore's office too often is a red herring. Harry has an invisibility cloak and a map of Hogwarts. He can go anywhere within Hogwarts he wants without being seen.

As for Dumbledore not being seen favoring Harry with extra lessons, why not? People automatically assume that the boy-who-lived gets special treatment anyway. In both Harry's first and second years Dumbledore awarded Harry and his friends enough last minute house points to give them the House Cup. He allowed Harry to play Quidditch as a first year. Dumbledore always studies Harry intently at every meal they both take in the Great Hall. As you pointed out in your story, Harry is the only student that Dumbledore calls by his first name. His favoritism is already well-known and obvious to all. What would be surprising if people knew is that Dumbledore was *not* giving Harry special lessons. And Harry being seen going to Dumbledore's office regularly doesn't give anybody any information about what actually goes on at such meetings. Dumbledore could always concoct some innocuous excuse for Snape to feed to Voldemort. There's also no reason that Dumbledore has to meet Harry in his office. Any unused classroom will do.

In canon Dumbledore wants to limit his interactions with Harry because he thinks that Voldemort might be able to spy on him through Harry. But if it's dangerous for Dumbledore to have too much interaction with Harry, then the same should apply to Snape as well. Snape is ostensibly a double agent who Voldemort thinks is working for him. The last thing a double agent wants is to be put under too much scrutiny by the side(s) he's trying to fool. Now spies should be trying to get close to their sources of information. For Voldemort, that means getting close to Potter and Dumbledore and whoever they ally themselves with. But if Voldemort could see how Snape interacts with Potter he would know that Snape is not acting in his best interests because he consistently undermines his relationship with Harry and Harry would not willingly share any information with him. Thus, even teaching Harry Potions, let alone Occlumency, is dangerous for Snape if Voldemort can see through Harry's eyes. Snape is the last person Dumbledore should be choosing to teach Harry Occlumency if he values the life of his spy.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 5 . 7/11
Dumbledore is the secret keeper for #12 Grimmauld Place. He doesn't need (and shouldn't use) a piece of paper to convey the secret to Harry when he's standing right there. Writing the secret down is like writing down your computer password, it's a breach of proper security procedures. If the secret keeper writes down the secret then he effectively loses control of the secret because anybody who sees the paper can know the secret. In canon he gave such a piece of paper to Mad-Eye because he couldn't be there himself to tell the secret to Harry and he trusted Mad-Eye to destroy the paper afterward. But he really should have told Harry the secret himself (after putting up a privacy charm, of course). I'd love to look at JKR's computer monitor and see if she's got a post-it note with her password on it. Probably does. JKR is no security expert and it's obvious because none of her characters (especially Dumbledore) seem to be security-aware.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 3 . 7/11
Yes, intent matters in magic, but not as much as you might think if mispronouncing a word can unexpectedly cause you to end up on the floor with a buffalo on your chest. I actually consider it a major plot hole that they continue to rely on the blood wards even after Voldemort has been reborn from Harry's blood. We don't read anywhere in canon where the blood wards were actually tested and found to be working. Both sides just assumed they worked until Harry's seventeenth birthday. But intent is a weak argument to start with. Lily never intended her sacrifice to be used the way Dumbledore did. She never intended Harry to be raised by Petunia and Vernon. She would have intended Harry to be safe from Petunia and Vernon and Dudley as well as Voldemort, but her intent didn't matter. It would have been wonderful if intent was truly as strong as you make it out to be. Then Harry would have his mother's protection all his life from whatever danger was present, not just Voldemort or Death Eaters. Surely that would have been Lily's true intent. But Vernon and Petunia and Dudley and Draco were able to strike and kick Harry without their hands or feet burning, and Draco was able to curse him with impunity. The mother's protection only kicked in whenever JKR decided she needed a Deus Ex Machina against Voldemort.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 2 . 7/11
I disagree entirely with your idea that JKR is best qualified to choose fitting relationships for her characters. She is obviously *not* an expert on relationships. And all of her characters without exception do extremely stupid things from time to time, no matter how smart they are supposed to be. As a matter of fact, the smarter they are supposed to be the stupider their decisions actually are. It can be a great source of entertainment and wisdom to dissect the canon relationships.

Harry/Ginny is such a horrible pairing I refuse to read it. Harry marrying his chief fangirl when he hates fangirls? Just no! Not even if she disguises her fangirlness by being a skank and sleeping with every other guy in his year. She's a shallow character and has nothing in common with Harry. She never has a single conversation in seven books that makes me think she's got any wisdom whatsoever to offer to Harry. She's so shallow it makes Harry look shallow to choose her.

Ron/Hermione would almost certainly end in divorce, but I'm willing to read it because I think they both are so obnoxious they deserve each other and I don't care if they end up divorced. They both need something as traumatic as a divorce to grow up. Better they do it with each other than to spread their contagion to other people and make them unhappy as well. If they didn't have Harry to be peacemaker all the time they would quickly fall apart as a couple.

The only girl I truly think Harry would be happy with is Luna, and JKR didn't even take that character seriously. She married her off to some guy we don't even know with a horrible last name, and not satisfied with that, she gave her kids horrible first names as well. But Luna has wisdom that Harry needs. Every conversation she has with Harry is one where Harry learns something. She has a remarkable strength of character and refuses to play the victim or to take offense no matter what her circumstances. She boldly states the truth with absolutely no embarrassment no matter who is present to hear it. Her interactions with Harry ennoble him, whereas Hermione's interactions with both Harry and Ron diminish them and make them seem lazy and stupid and argumentative (Ron) or a doormat (Harry). Beyond that, Harry finds Luna's antics amusing and her interactions with others to be a source of entertainment. She's got an unconventional beauty that is also appealing to our hero. She likes him and trusts him but doesn't idolize him. They have a comfortable relationship not prone to friction. JKR didn't know what a gem she had created with this character and if she had been more perceptive the Harry Potter series would have had a truly satisfying romantic conclusion.
lojosmom chapter 3 . 2/28
I love the idea of Harry getting the truth out through Rita Skeeter. It should really change thing for him for the better.
lojosmom chapter 1 . 2/28
A great start to your story. I look forward to reading more.
KingRiordanQueenRowling chapter 8 . 2/25
You know, even if from what you wrote in a/n, and one can guess from the publish dates you haven't been the best updater, I've faith in you. I'm sure it wasn't so much your fault as the situation, that slowed you down. It's a very good story, I suggest Harry should tell Sirius that deep inside he expected being chosen for prefect. It's been ages since I read tOotP but I think either Sirius or someone else mentions to the kid that James wasn't a prefect, but Remus, and it makes him feel better.

Hope you're doing well,
Sammy
Cassandra30 chapter 8 . 2/22
Terrific chapter. I look forward to reading more soon.
Cassandra30 chapter 5 . 2/22
Really good!
Harry Albus Potter Dumbledore chapter 8 . 2/17
I love this your version of Sirius in this chapter, even this entire story. He's much more responsible and adult-like than he was in the series. I love it! And while you may think this chapter wasn't your best, I thought the complete opposite. It was great and I enjoyed reading it. Update whenever you can, please.
PhoenixGrifyndor chapter 8 . 2/14
It would be actually a really funny prank but Sirius did tell Harry to get what he wanted so what if he bought Ron a fireboat on Sirius' dime?
piece2gether chapter 8 . 2/13
As someone currently stuck in writers block, it is so encouraging to know that you've escaped and there's hope for the rest of us. Thank you so much for the chapter. I'm excited to see where it goes from here.