Reviews for Gravel on the Ground: From the Ashes
Priyanjana chapter 10 . 4/27
I really wanna know what's going on here, so PLEASE UPDATE!
hoove-print-on-your-heart chapter 10 . 12/5/2014
:D
Just found this story, but I hope you continue with it, because it's amazing! I love the concept, and plot so far. Can't wait for more!
Hoove
Fionamoi chapter 10 . 10/12/2014
aww please update again soon!
smuffly chapter 10 . 10/11/2014
You know I love this chapter. It's so perfectly evocative of place and mood. It does everything you wanted it to, and more. And the trio of Sadie and the twins feels very natural - I love the way they're starting to bring out her humour and her confidence. You hint at future developments, but it's not overdone, and I like that a lot. I also absolutely LOVE your journey through Diagon Alley. It's seamless - and by that, I mean it's often hard to tell where JK ends and Farmgirl begins. I was right there with the three of them, and I had fun!

Oh, and Sherlock Holmes? Nice! Such a brilliant idea, to put a Muggle Fiction section in Flourish and Blotts! I wonder what else is in there...
aalens chapter 4 . 10/10/2014
Still enjoying this - and too keen to read on, to spare the time for a longer review.
aalens chapter 2 . 10/10/2014
The idea of an international Floo system is mind boggling!
I was pleased to read that the powder had to be thrown into the fire in exactly 2 and 5/8 minutes - so often, usually in descriptions of potion methods, the timing equates exactly to a number of minutes, and that seems unlikely to me.
aalens chapter 1 . 10/10/2014
Fascinating start!
BTW, I thought at first that it was a British town you were describing, so I thought 'this sounds like that famously dirty city, New York, not like a British town' - then it turned out to actually be New
HEW chapter 10 . 10/10/2014
Oh, what a happy, happy gift after my crappy, crappy day! So much to love here, most especially Sadie "laughing" - and that bit about Fred vowing to do what he can to keep her laughing? Awesome! You really know how to show the heart behind the joking. Though I love their jokes about Ron and Hermione too - you just write the twins so perfectly in character. I am really enjoying how you are slowly and carefully bringing the two of them (S&F) together - it's just beautiful. And of course, Sadie's reaction to the bookstore - you just totally captured the soul of all of us bibliophiles. Thank you, thank you, lovely friend, for your efforts on this story!
chaansan chapter 10 . 10/10/2014
You updated! Yaaaaaay, this is my favorite story on this website! I didn't review last time, so I'll try to make up for it in this one.

The emotions that came across in the last chapter are still very clear in my head, despite having read it ages ago. I remember Arthur's pain with clarity, and that's not easy to do. I really believe that he lost his best friends, its like it's canon in my head now.

The twins are so silly. And you captured it well. I can't wait until they get back to Hogwarts! Please update soon, I might go crazy now that I'm all hyped up again.
Fionamoi chapter 9 . 3/27/2014
really good and really interesting,
please do update it soon!
HEW chapter 9 . 3/25/2014
I absolutely love that bit about her looking through the "random rubbish" - seriously gorgeous writing! I can see why Arthur and Sadie's dad were such good friends - a snow breather? LOL! Really great dad moments - both with her memories and with Arthur. And then back to the dark stuff, sigh... At least she does have some good memories too. No wonder she's not too keen on magic - makes her choices leading to "Taking Flight" even more understandable. (Just wondering - did she take a wand with her when she went back to NY?) And I really can't wait to find out what that lightbulb over George's head was all about!
chaansan chapter 9 . 3/24/2014
Sadie's past just keeps getting sadder and sadder. Usually OC back stories don't do anything for me, but with Sadie it's more melancholic. I love how you've brought her deceased family to life. It makes the situation a whole lot more emotional.

Amazing work as always. Thank you for updating! :)
smuffly chapter 9 . 3/24/2014
Another brilliant chapter. I always liked the twins, but reading your interpretation of them takes that to a whole new level. There's a lot of insight in what you write, as well as a lot of humour. I loved the scene with George and Sadie.

Clever, to end such a heartwarming installment with something so frightening. We get to see one of Sadie's happy memories but then we are given a clue to her darker past and it's all the more disturbing because of the happiness that comes before it. It must be like that for Sadie at this point in the story - given a chance at a new life and trying to relax into it, but every now and then, without warning, memories resurface. So unsettling, and I really felt that. Great writing - love this story!

Good luck with your time-frame, by the way!
HEW chapter 8 . 3/2/2014
Yay for a happy chappy! :D This was such a lovely treat! So glad that Sadie can just be a kid for a little while and be happy. And I love that it was not really magic related - just something any kid might do. And it was such a wonderful, cozy scene too - I really enjoyed being there. Very intrigued at Fred sharing that memory of Sadie's...hmmm...
smuffly chapter 8 . 2/28/2014
I think this may well be my favourite chapter so far. There's something just so joyous about Sadie and Ginny running through the rain, and Ginny's generosity in sharing her secret hiding place with a girl she barely knows. It's an experience that Sadie needs and it's lovely to see a new side of her - the real Sadie, finally feeling safe enough to venture out.

And then, Fred and George. You write them so well and with such affection. This section had everything - deep emotion, humour, mystery, warmth and two brothers who are a single unit but also respect each other's right to privacy.

I agree with you about the way you've chosen to 'write' the sign language (BSL is the same, with regards to grammar and syntax - and also elegance), and I really liked the way you explained it.
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »