Reviews for Adagio
jedimaster91 chapter 1 . 7/13/2014
I stumbled on your profile and have read several of your stories. I've loved all of them, but this one blew me away. It's so rare to find an author with the command of language you demonstrate, and for that alone, you have my highest regard and admiration. The imagery here is superb. You've captured the utter despair poor Obi-Wan must have been feeling at the end of the film. The movie gives just the slightest glimpse of a man barely holding it together long enough to do what must be done before he completely falls apart. And yet the end here is hopeful. Marvelous.

Obi-Wan post ROTS is one of my all time favorite subjects to read about, but no one really seems to be able to do it justice like you've done. :-)
skepsis66 chapter 1 . 11/8/2013
Even though Star Wars verse is not familiar territory for me, you've done a magnificent job with this. The sheer quality of the writing blew me away - the vivid pictures you paint with every sentence just left me in awe. You conveyed the depth of Obi-wan's emotions so clearly and painfully. Wonderful, gorgeous fic!
TortoisetheStoryteller chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
Good job. I've never read such a clear exploration of Obi-Wan's feelings after Mustafar. It's obvious that by Ep. 4 he's worked through it.
Obiwan456 chapter 1 . 8/23/2013
Finally had a moment to read this

So poetic and moving (just like fine music)...

You captured the loneliness and self imposed punishment Obi-Wan inflicted upon himself, tot he point that he would not even recognize Qui-Gon's voice until the end.

I could envision Obi-Wan alone, sad, dusty and brooding...and self imposed judge, jury and executioner ... even Qui-Gon finally just agreed with him that he failed just to get him to look beyond it..."Ok so you failed, now shake it off and lets move on to hope"...

Very nicely written...something to read again and savor, capturing the moments portrayed in this piece...
Nanuk chapter 1 . 8/17/2013
Beautiful ... so very beautiful. I started reading and within moments it blews me to bits. It's your fault, of course, if I let salt water ran into my keyboard.
And where shall I start? It's hard to resist the pain and hopelessness rising from your words, but they are fitting indeed for what Obi Wan termed "his failure" - a thought, a feeling he couldn't escape from - condemming himself even when others didn't. I can't, and don't want to imagine the blame he projected for himself, and am so thankful for that tiny spark of hope that saved him in the end, when even Qui and Yoda couldn't.
Beautifully, powerfully done ... I, too, loved the Soresu paragraph. It is his shame made visible ... in that he didn't do anything? And yet, in his defiance, he might hold hold out longer than the consuming craze of the storm.
Release, Obi Wan, release ... breathe ... live. Regret ... and look to the future, to the destiny that was foretold.
Thank you so much, my master :) What a ride that was!
Waffles Risa chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
TT_TT That's really really sad...why must Obi suffer in such a way? He didn't deserve it in canon...
Queen morgan la fay chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
This was beautiful. This was really, really beautiful. I've often thought about what it must have been like for Obi-Wan during those first days of exile, the aftermath of losing everyone he loved, and everything that had any meaning for him. Of all the Jedi to live through the fall of the order, it had to be Obi-Wan and Yoda. Oh, I wish, wish, that he didn't have to suffer that feeling of failure, and, I'm glad that he found some measure of peace. I hope someday that he realises that it was the will of the Force, and that no one can fight overwhelming odds, even if they give everything they have, like Obi-Wan did. This story was really beautiful and moving.
Did you ever read Revenge of the Sith, by Matthew Stover? What they said about the paths of immortality reminded me of it. Stover also said that Obi-Wan was his favourite character.
I'm sure you must be pretty bogged down, right now, but, in the future, would you ever consider writing an Obi-Wan and Luke story? I know Owen didn't allow Obi-Wan to visit, but I'm sure Luke would have bitten by the wanderlust and done something stupid, like his dad. And, who better to get him out of trouble than his venerable guardian angel?
pronker chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
/Not even for the one so long gone./

I like that Obi-Wan knows his limitations here; it speaks of mental health, even if it is strained at this time. And the story depicts these moments so well, as we feel that it's mere /minutes/ after the duel, in the details of sparks and scorch marks, good immediacy.

Also, the sense of Qui-Gon tapping insistently on Obi-Wan's mental 'door,' patiently waiting until the time is ripe for entering, with soothing presence ...
Eruhin chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
Sweet Force, what a gorgeous angst fest! And for the beautiful dawn of hope at the end the heartache was more pleasant than unbearable. I never liked things that begin and end in despair. But this I loved.
Book girl fan chapter 1 . 8/15/2013
Wow. That was powerful. I think I liked the bit about Soresu best, the eye of the storm.
Sage of wind Dragons chapter 1 . 8/15/2013
hmm it shows nicely that for a while Kenobi was numb to it all where he was, witch is its own posion the not CARING or trying not to feel and it does show how he got past it in a nice way.
cause hes not going to be complete agony on the level of when he was fighting Anakin (then again keeping your rellitve calm DURING the fight and THEN having a nice emotional break down... emotions can be a tricky, tricky things on how to use and guide and aid and destroy.
but a good thing some people don't get is that they wouldent have the EFFORT. highs and lows... even in an emotional storm burn out.
it does suck that they didn't try and nuke Sideous. It makes me wonder what they would have planed if just Sideous had lived, or was that the plan for it all?
cause yoda and Sideous one on one couldent get it done, and they couldent team him well enough... cause team work ISNT like math of Im a six your a five toether were an eleven, it be more cohersion mixing, and that hteyd have to be on a same sorta level cause even as you fight as ONE the BODY of that one is split and the physical... well the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. and sometimes the ...strength? isn't strong ENOUGH...
does raise questions on what Kenobi would have done later...
ba whatever! I loved that you showcased sometimes the dangers of reaching the top, your DONE with it in some ways cause its mastered and its hard to add new things to it cause dam it your on the top of the mountain and some young whippersnapper is supposed to do the work and replace mine, im done, Im just going to sitting here, smoking my pipe and if anyone cares they can push me off.
witch is fun! defiance... I liked that bit of it... and Kenobis Im done with it all in a lot of ways was PERFECT for an old hand, witch is what the teaching is for right? the young learn and so breath new life into the old.
the Force is Death... I liked it in a way it was terrible wisdom epiphany type deal mixed in with some peace order and Kenobi was going to have none of adding things to it.
I like the feel of it as well the light and dark is all a matter of the color's put into it and the degree in a ways of life... sorta I always like your look out on the sand and stuff like it.
but anyway!
I loved that Kenobi defeated himself it keeps it nice and interesting and keeps it true to Kenobis character about the type that in some ways only you can defeat yourself.
witch is fun!
all in all it was nice fun and a tad different twist and make up of it, newish life to it that's different type deal.
so this was fun! thanks for it.
UnknownFigment chapter 1 . 8/15/2013
This is beautiful. I always love reading well-done pieces on Obi-Wan's mindset, and this fits the bill wonderfully.

I especially liked the thoughts about Soresu, but all of it was well done.