Reviews for Pretty Good Year
TheWickedTruth89 chapter 6 . 3/15/2015
Great chapter, I really like the concept of Benezia having other daughters.
TheWickedTruth89 chapter 4 . 3/15/2015
Great chapter, loved the ending.
TheWickedTruth89 chapter 1 . 3/15/2015
Interesting start
MemorieN7 chapter 9 . 3/11/2015
"Pally's Prothean proposed" That's fun to say :p

I was excited when I received the update notification just minutes after you posted the new chapter. As much as I wanted to dive right in to see what happens next, I decided to refresh the story in my head and start from the beginning.

Sam and Liara are not a pairing I would normally ship, but you make them absolutely adorable together. I love it. Thank you for a peek into this universe.
Spikesagitta chapter 9 . 3/10/2015
Oh. That was unexpected. Suddenly two years went by. Then again after how long it took for the chapter to come out :p
Theodur chapter 9 . 3/10/2015
Hey, nice to see you back with another chapter! Awesome. I'm still around, too. ;)

Tough chapter, for sure. I kinda don't remember all the details of what happened before, but is Traynor completely unaware of Liara having a thing for Shepard and struggling so much to move past that? Feels like given that she ought to have been a lot more considerate instead of putting Liara on the spot like that. I hate seeing anyone being put on the spot like that, period. Not cool.

As an aside, I don't think I'd be able to play ME3 now. Every time I even read about Traynor I keep seeing her as my reckless elven mage Inquisitor from Dragon Age. It's less disconcerting with Vega when I see him as the Iron Bull. I mean, he's already kinda like a bull in ME. xD
OEMoose chapter 9 . 3/9/2015
So great to see this story continued! Not that I really had any doubt you would. I remember when I followed it back in May of last year you PM'd me and said it would be on hiatus for another month! XD

Anyway, I really like this chapter but it seems a bit out of the blue. Did you always kinda have this in mind, that there would be a separation, and just made up an event to get Sam away? Or did you change course and this is a break from the original direction the story was going?
Alpenwolf chapter 9 . 3/9/2015
It's definitely nice to see you back on track. Liara's and Samantha's relationship had or was it has? taken a very difficult approach and way, with Samantha being away for two years. Which, of course gave both of them the time to think, the time to mourn?/long for each other ... and all sorts of other problems I can imagine ... and now they Samantha found Liara. I'm definitely curious of how the next chapter will be ... there is more than one way that encounter could go evolve ... liara could break down, they could renew their love, they could spit venom without really meaning it ... new mates ... the two years apart could give them fuel for a long discussion, a very long one.

Curious as ever I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
RED78910 chapter 9 . 3/8/2015
HUGO's BACK! HUZZAH!

But no, seriously, I can't tell you how incredible it is to see you update again after all this time. This story is simply amazing. The way you write Liara and Sam is nothing short of perfect, your descriptions of people's emotions and their internal dialogue is captivating, and of course I can't help but crave more.

As for the chapter itself, I must confess I had to skim over the last couple of chapters to remind myself of just what was going on. Sorry about that, but the beginning really threw me off. I thought, 'Wait, those two were together in the last part, right?' and then I realized this was one of those 'En Media Res' moments. Man, I am an idiot sometimes.

As to Liara and Sam's own decisions...to be honest, I'm Firmly in Liara's camp. This is partly due to the fact that she was always my favorite character from the trilogy, the LI I went with more often than not, and as the protagonist of this story the one we are supposed to feel the most for.

I also kinda feel she's getting screwed over for the second and by no means last time in her life. What do I mean by this? Well, let me give you some insight into the minds of a member of the military.

They sacrifice Everything for their careers. They miss their children being born. They miss baseball games, ballet recitals, birthday parties, graduations, all that, just to have a career. They deploy all around the globe missing and forsaking their loved ones just so they can get promoted or just can't find a way around it in their job. 9 times out of 10, they chose the service over their families.

Sam is clearly among those 9. When all is said and done, she's almost certainly going to make that choice again. And again. And again. It's not going to stop as long as she's in. And more than likely, the system is going to fuck her over and kick her out, or she's going to be forced out due to High Year Tenure or something like that. Unless she makes Admiral or whatever, in that case, it's pretty much all political BS again keeping her away from being home.

Is Liara's career much different? I don't know, but at least she seems to have some kind of contact with her family. At least she can HAVE a family. Even if Sam is able to happily retire from the Alliance, what then?

Either she's going to be too old by the time she's out to have children with Liara and be able to see them become adults, or they can settle down when Sam gets back, but remember, the service is far more important to her than Liara is. She's Going to miss her family's lives. She's Not going to be able to be there for them.

I know it seems like I'm ranting here, and I am, but not without cause. In my opinion, people in the service need to choose. They can have a career or they can have a family, but they can't have both. It's clear to me which Sam would want, so I really hope Liara honestly just moves on to find someone more stable to be with. Given Sam's far shorter lifespan, that honestly might just save her a lot of pain and misery in her life farther on down the road.

Again, welcome back Hugo. I truly hope you can write more ME stories sometime in the future. I'm really curious to see just what happened to Holly's kids, and I'm Really wanting to read about that Dune inspired AU story of yours.

Keep up the great work!
TheGreatness1 chapter 9 . 3/8/2015
Great chapter, i really enjoyed this, it was sad as hell though :P
rjohanek chapter 1 . 3/7/2015
It's great to see you back and writing on this story! OMUTB was soooo good, I was hoping you would return to FF. Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to read the rest of this story.
Alpenwolf chapter 8 . 1/6/2015
It really is nice to see that Sam can have a happy ending. This story definitely is something else, but I guess I should be used to that by now. There are so many things I either imagine or are real, things that were also present in "Once More Unto The Breach", things that just made this so much better, which probably goes for all those that first read this and then the other story. Can't actually wait for reading the end, so I really hope I won't have to wait for too long.
Alpenwolf chapter 4 . 1/6/2015
Hahaha, Liara's little vandalism act made me laugh out loud and for at least one minute I was unable to continue reading, because I was laughing so hard. It was stupid, dangerous and at the same time definitely a nice gesture and definitely everything that Sam said about it, and of course "Still. Completely. Worth it."
Alpenwolf chapter 1 . 1/6/2015
And finally I get around to read this and one of the first things I notice was one of Liara's sentences where she said that she wished that Shepard would let her brush her hair. That one sentence reminded me of "Once More Unto the Breach" were Liara did just that. Coincidence? I don't think so.
TBM1 chapter 8 . 9/1/2014
This story is wonderfully unique! It's one of the few that successfully pulls off the absence of Shepard and a pairing that hasn't been done a million times. Keep up the good work! :)
88 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »