Reviews for Pretty Good Year
Sun-Tsu Toriden chapter 3 . 9/16/2013
A mini laughing assassin... Harley Quinn in asari form.

oh god, I suddenly have the most nerdgasm-inducing idea. Crossover batman and mass effect universes.

*please bear with me while I try and fail to get my brain under control.*
batman and robin could be human.
Gordon can be a csec turian
riddler can be a salarian
joker can be a hanar (just because) with an asari harley
bane can be a krogan
ras al ghul can be a yahg
Kasumi as catwoman
YES Precious!

*ahem*
ok, back to what passes for normal now.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how you bring liara and Sam together, and how much crazy family will induce hilarity.
Guest chapter 2 . 9/14/2013
I hope you continue.
compa16 chapter 2 . 9/7/2013
Must read more
kewlwarez chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
So erm, is this going to be another quick 1-2 chapter story that will quickly blossom out of control?

If so, I like, even if I'm all nooo, no hurting Liara. She and Shepard are the emotional heart of ME, even if Bioware constantly sabotaged their relationship for the sake of gameplay (ie they wanted Shepard to start in the same position in ME2 and ME3 as she was at the start of the first game and storytelling be darned).

Liara going on the rebound with Sam makes sense, her recognising that this would be a dumb thing to do even more so. Sam herself is, well, extremely compatible with most female characters, though having two shy, slightly nerdy characters falling for each other will be a challenge to write. It may make sense to make Liara slightly more dominant if they do get in a relationship, ala the Liara in Souplog's An Unfortunate Interruption (one of my favourite post-war stories...).
Corentin IV chapter 2 . 8/21/2013
I was expecting flirty flirty flirtyness and I was very pleasantly suprised to be suprised with this chapter. Seeing the entente between Liara and Javik was really interesting, and really added to the sense of Liara being able to move on and become independent of Shepard - their timelines are diverging and Liara is growing away, in a different way. So that's incredible, Hugo - and given I am under normal circumstances totally allergic to Javik, that is high praise from me! I could grow to love this savage man and his hanar boiling ways :)

The scene with Benezia is also very sad; the mother that Saren (but ultimately and directly Shepard) took away from her, telegraphing her need for connection and for understanding. Lets hope our young maiden gets it in this tale. -C
Theodur chapter 2 . 8/21/2013
Excellent stuff. :) Good thing Liara realized quite quickly the awfulness of her plan to use Traynor... it would have never worked out anyway. Though, when she laments of how much time she has spent pining for Shepard, I'm actually thinking it's nothing for the asari. 3 years? Eh, I think that's quite normal for them. :)

I liked your version of Javik a great deal! It's great to see him not being a complete bastard to Liara. I guess it makes sense that having gone through so much together and defeated the Reapers, he would finally begin to respect her. Though to call Liara his favorite primitive was very sweet and unexpected!

Keep them chapters a coming! :)
Keian chapter 2 . 8/20/2013
"Doctor Asari" Hah! It's progress, I guess. :)

Really enjoyed this chapter, especially the little Javik and Liara interaction. They can help each other move onto the next phase of their lives. Looking forward to the next update!
Kudara chapter 2 . 8/20/2013
Very good chapter...If only I had been as smart as Liara in my 20's when it came to rebounding :)
Corentin IV chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
As you know, despite the fact I, *myself* am a femshep/Liara shipper, I also happen to think that Liara/Traynor is the the most natural pairing in the whole ME series. (Well, apart from Conrad and Kelly.) For reasons. It just - works. And what I like so much about this is that you pair Liara's ME2 fury and vengefulness with Traynor's sweetness (and ever so slight lechiness, always lowering the tone. What can I say?)

I love this and I think I am really going to love where this is going! (For the record, I am going to lobby hard for a shower scene.) And also, your language in this is amazing - I love your black wildfire, your windchimes. All incredibly evocative, and it's sweet (and telling) that they start dark and get lighter. Like Traynor is warming her petrified, angry heart. Ooooh, yes. Count me in!
Agilufo chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
After femshep/liara this Traynor/liara is my favorite combination! can't wait to read the rest!
Theodur chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
*suspends his 'everything not FemShep/Liara is Wrong' sense*

Good stuff, really. :) A few thoughts. The Liara loves all Shepard's unconditionally throughout the whole trilogy... I can see where people might be coming from with this, but I have only one issue with it. Liara's reaction on Ilium. If Shepard really is the center of her universe, her reaction is especially baffling. There's just... not enough realistic, reasonable incentives for her not to join Shepard. Revenge on the Shadow Broker? But Shepard is alive now. And Feron... frankly, her emotional investment over Feron is ludicrous, if you know what happened in the comic books. Anyway - if we dismiss the Ilium nonsense just as a piece of bad writing, then your premise gains a lot more weight. :)

I think that despite my feeling that Traynor is simply not in the same league as Shepard or Liara, you've certainly provided a very solid foundation for Traynor and Liara to bond. I also liked the pacing of this, because if Liara really is in such bad way about Shepard, it would take her some time to actually realize that there are options other than Shepard. I hope you stick to this slow pace of developing their relationship, because to me who is a natural skeptic regarding Liara/Traynor, it's the way to make it feel credible. :)

As a side note, you might be interested in chapter 29 of Thessian Rhapsody, once it's posted. Sam will play a rather large part in that chapter. And nope, nothing horrible will happen to her, quite the opposite. :D
Keian chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
Haha, I'm SO glad that our discussions about why Liara would be unwilling to share Holly with other asari eventually led to this wonderful little spinoff!

But yeah, I do believe Liara carries a torch for *every* Shepard until *at least* ME2. Why else would she risk life and limb after ME1 to retrieve Shepard's body and hand her over to Project Lazarus for resurrection? And like I mentioned to you, I imagined that if Shepard had chosen anyone who wasn't Samara, she could have reasoned that Shepard simply preferred humans, or males, or another type of alien to lessen the blow; but the fact that Shepard fell for another asari just cut right to the quick. I'm glad you really fleshed this out in your story. :D

And poor Liara, you even made it so that she didn't find out about Shepard's attraction to Samara until after the Reaper war! Three long years of hopeful unrequited love!

Though it appears you intend to make up for it by granting her a certain charming communications specialist. I'm glad—she deserves some happiness too. (Btw, have I told you before how much I enjoy reading your Traynor? You write her sooo well.)

Cannot wait for more of this. If your other stories are a good indication, this is gonna be great. And get hot. ;)
Sun-Tsu Toriden chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
This is shaping up to be a very interesting tale. I look forward to reading it in full.

also, I'm reminded of a joke: what do you do with 365 used condoms?
melt them down, cast a tyre. Call it a Goodyear.
88 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6