Reviews for presage
T. Alana M chapter 1 . 4/24/2014
Oh my. That is violent. Have you considered making this a multichaptered story?

P.S. Minor error "blond[e]"
the ticking clock chapter 1 . 4/17/2014
You write the destruction and chaos of Loki's mind so well, while still keeping the softer, human elements. Really, really well done!
Roskva chapter 1 . 12/10/2013
Damn. Shudder. That was - awesome. Your writing is excellent and evocative and the characters are all so perfectly real. Brava.
samcarter1022 chapter 1 . 8/21/2013
Great story, hoping there is more to come:D
Doctorscompanion chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
Oh this piece ... It is so incredibly completely loki. You captured his madness, wit, intelligence, misery, and past. It's was beautifully written and i do hope you write another. The ending, by the way, was perfect. So subtle and surprising. Marvelous job! I look forward to more of your work!
pink-strawberries chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
This is just a masterpiece.
The Pearl Maiden chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
Wow. This was amazing. Seriously. You kept them all in character and it was beautiful. Love this to pieces. :D
wbss21 chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
Wow... I mean, seriously, WOW. You are truly one of the most extraordinary writers I've ever come across, and you continue to prove that again and again, this time being no exception.

This was an astonishing piece here. What I'm always most impressed with in your writing is your ability to elicit emotion in the reader through the characters, and your perfect grasp of the complexities of Loki's character. You never lose sight of the fact that he is, in fact, a villain, but you maintain that aspect of sympathy within him just as strongly at the same time, which is truly remarkable, given they're two such contrasting aspects, yet belong to the same character. It shows your understanding of Loki is second to none, truly.

What really stood out to me here was Loki's sense of regret and longing. This secret wish that he could somehow go back and make things between he and Thor alright, and his own agony and regret over having hurt Thor, and over the knowledge that he knows he's going to do so again, and yet despite how that knowledge pains him, he isn't able to really stop it. He isn't able to stop himself from betraying Thor, isn't able to cast aside his own, dark drive.

But you captured such a heavy sense of melancholy in that opening scene, when Jane and Thor are talking about Loki, thinking he's still asleep. It's just so TRAGIC, when Thor is telling Jane that she would have liked Loki, before everything went wrong, and there's such genuine fondness and affection in Thor's tone, and in Loki himself too, remembering all those stories about their youth. It's the contrast of the real joy and happiness they shared together as a family with the present, and how badly things between them all have fallen apart, that really makes it so awful.

And the way Jane asks Thor what he'll do, if he makes the same mistakes with Loki again, and Loki betrays him, and Thor isn't even able to contemplate it should something like that happen, and then the way Loki thinks to himself that Thor should, that he should allow himself to realize the possibility, because Loki himself knows it's going to happen. Or how he knows that Thor won't really kill him, despite his threat, but thinking that it would be better for both of them if he would. God man, again, you manage to capture the vast complexity and tragedy of these two so well. Because they love each other so deeply, it makes the anger and hatred and loss between them all the more potent.

And man, is Loki brutal as hell here too, when they come upon the party of elves. You always manage to capture just how truly FRIGHTENING Loki can be, and his brutality here, driven by his grief for the loss of his mother, is intense. And it's scary, how he wants Jane to see it, and to see the blood lust in Thor too, so that she understands just what they are. They're a warrior race, and that's clearly something she hasn't fully grasped yet, what that means.

But when Loki is questioning the leader of the group, jeeze man, he is TERRIFYING, and the imagery was so clear and visceral. The way he uses his magic, and how he contemplates the way the void has twisted him, and his energy to become literally poisonous, and just how unyielding and cold he is in his interrogation. It's truly scary, and truly heartbreaking, because you compare it to how Loki was in the first "Thor" film, and just how completely hardened and vicious he's become since then. He's literally been twisted into a kind of monster, into someone who, even though he still feels and deep down, does care, he won't allow himself to acknowledge it, or let it affect him anymore. It's so sad, it really is.

The way he thinks about Frigga, and how cold he was to her, the way he disowned her, and the heavy regret he feels over it, plagued by thoughts of her dying alone, but then he pushes those thoughts out of himself and doesn't let the elves attempts to goad him even touch him. You've written Loki here as I imagine he'll be in the film, completely driven and shut down, and I can think of nothing more terrifying, really.

You really showed his brutality through Jane's eyes too, the way she's made sick by his actions, and she looks at him with knowing wariness. But then there's this moment, where Loki can't stand the way Thor is looking at him, with fondness and affection and hope. We see in this brief flashes that Loki isn't the monster he submits himself to being. So he kills the elf in such a violent way just to take Thor's eyes off of him, making sure Jane sees it, like he's reinforcing to her what she already thinks of him.

The ending though man, when we see Loki's rage, and the source of his rage, this awful internal conflict and storm going on inside of him, and how it all stems from such a deep sense of betrayal and his own sense of uselessness. He hates Jane because she was able to reach Thor in a way he never was, despite a literal millenium of trying, despite giving his all to Thor for a thousand years and loving him truly. And in three days, Jane was able to make Thor change, where Loki was not. So we see where his wish to make them both pay for what he must feel is the greatest betrayal makes sense, insane as it is. He's broken hearted, and that's truly what makes Loki so fascinating. That he's driven to such cold, cruel actions because he feels so deeply. Because his heart is broken. I think, in a way, it shows the lethal power of love. That love can drive someone like Loki to commit such atrocities. He's a deep character, and you're portrayal of him highlights every bit of that depth.

Another brilliant story from you, as always. And as always, I thank you for sharing it!
Ceylon205 chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
Oh Loki, what a lovely bundle of angst and emotional damage- you write him perfectly. If Thor 2 isn't exactly like this I'll be disappointed :)