Reviews for Bumps in the Road
bloomandgrow chapter 1 . 5/5
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this adorable little fic. TKAMB is one of my favourite books and I must have read it at least a dozen times. It is really hard to capture Scout's voice, with its unintentional wry humour and solemness and sageness, but you have done it wonderfully well here. I was also entranced by the minute details that make up Scout's world.

The story is so perfectly in keeping with the tone of the book, from the characterisations of everyone, to the dialogue, and the plot of a loving, wise father helping his child understand the world. You have brought to life a perfect little teachable moment in Scout's life, as she negotiates the tricky pathway to understanding life. I loved the allegory of a literal bump in the road giving meaning to much larger obstacles that lay ahead in her journey. I also enjoyed the lesson that a mistake can lead to better things.

A delightful story.
LucyLuna chapter 1 . 4/26
"…could've recited them with my eyes closed." I know adding "with my eyes closed" is a way for people to emphasize how familiar they are with something, but sounds a bit funny to me here. Reciting instructions with your eyes closed doesn't sound like any kind of challenge at all and something anyone could do, not just a kid who's had the directions repeated at her ad nasium. Switching it up just a little, like have Scout think "recited them backwards" I think would go a long way to showing familiarity, but also sound like a challenge enough that you know only someone who's had the instructions repeated over and over at them would be able to do it.
This was a sweet little story. I think you captured Scout really well in this. I like how you show how proud she is to go to the store on her own and it was also really neat how you referenced future events in the book without giving too much away. It made this feel like a really cute prequel. Atticus helping Scout see the broken eggs weren't the end of the world and helping her to pick the berries to give Calpurnia to make up for the loss was nice and the end where Jem even says he's glad she did was a really great way to end this fic.
schizelle chapter 1 . 7/11/2016
Wow.
I was wondering what kind of Fanfiction could be written for To Kill a Mockingbird. (I'm studying it now in school and it's beautiful)
And in my opinion, this is the best kind.
I love the simplicity of the story, the slight foreshadowing of the events to come. Atticus is a wonderful father.
Above all, I love Scout's characterisation. It's childish and mature. Which is so typical of her. Making observations beyond her age and then silly childish fears. It's beautiful how well I can picture.
Great story!
ashstar54321 chapter 1 . 9/11/2015
Ooh! This is great! I love how in-character everyone is and the morale you've included!
Gamemakers chapter 1 . 7/7/2015
I'm very fond of To Kill A Mockingbird, so this looks interesting. If you don't mind, I'll just point out little things that could be improved as I see them:

[cooking supper, to have ready] I don't believe you need the comma in there.

I have to say that the portion in the middle where many of the events/characters from the book are mentioned felt quite forced to me - I feel that it would have worked better if they had been somehow spread throughout the fic rather than all lumped together in the very middle.

You have really captured the feeling of the book quite well. The first-person POV is done beautifully, and it really does have the feeling of an older woman looking back at a moment from childhood as though through somewhat fogged glass (or something - reviews are really not the place for half-thought-out similes). Lovely writing :-)
Pale Treasures chapter 1 . 4/12/2015
You captured the atmosphere of the book really well - I could picture the town so vividly, I believed I was there. I love to imagine that this actually did happen to them before everything changed. Good work. :)
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 10/25/2014
Nicely done.
totalphangirl chapter 1 . 3/27/2014
Your writing is beautiful... just really gripping. And you write so well for father/daughter relationships because this was brilliant :D
teacupz chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
this is a really, really lovely and well-written story! :) wow, felt the urge to check this fandom today since I've enjoyed the book so much and am so glad I did cause that allows me to find my way to this awesome story. thanks for writing it, really.

what I like the most from this piece is how well you can recreate the atmosphere from the book. the universe felt the same. it has been a while since I finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird and you simply reminded me of the lovely characters in it. I mean, I remember Scout and Atticus well, but only after reading this, I was also reminded of the lovely Calpurnia and some fine, realistic characters like Ms. Dubose and the lovely Miss Rachel. oh, such a trip to memory lane, indeed!

and really, really nice basic writing skill here you have. the grammar is good, the sentences are nice, the description is rich. it's really pleasing to read all words by words as they are descriptive and enjoyable. and most of all, the words really reflect Scout. the whole universe is drawn nicely and exactly like the one in the book. you really captured Scout's perspective in this. good job! :')

as for the conflict, a brilliant idea, indeed. it's simple yet it makes sense how Scout can be so upset about it. yet Atticus, being a lovely and caring father he's always been, seems to comfort her and offers her a better solution and some fine words of wisdom like always. he really is an amazing figure and you pictured him pretty well here. shortly, I like the whole idea of the story. it may seem simple, but again, the way you develop it and combine it with both Scout's and Atticus' interaction is just what makes it really, really special.

a little critic would be the use of 's' after the apostrophe at [Mr Link Deas's store]. as far as I know, if the apostrophe sticks to an 's', a following 's' is no longer necessary, which means it would probably be more grammatically correct if written as [Mr Link Deas' store] instead. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though. :3

overall, a really fantastic piece and boy am I so glad to have got the chance to read this! it really brings me back to the book and I'm simply and always amazed by writers who can build up their story's universe as closely to the book/series yet still tells something unique or new with their own style. good job on nailing everything and wish you good luck on your future stories! :) hope that you'll keep on making great ones like this!
tricorvus chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
oh that was lovely
rock on
obsessedwithread chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
This is a pretty cool story. They re really in character and its sorta funny too. :)
Atticusfinchy chapter 1 . 8/21/2013