Reviews for The Dark Is Too Hard To Beat
Spemily chapter 1 . 9/11/2013
OMG this is really good but really depressing! even in an alternate universe they cant be together? ughhhh but please update soon!
spinoza-off chapter 1 . 9/3/2013
Yes, while I was reading I was constantly assaulted by the question is it really a dream or a conscious visit to an alternate universe?

But if it is a dream, then it just confirms Spencer's belief that she did the right thing and made the right decision, which in a way is the most Spencer thing of all of the Spencer things. There is a masochistic certainty in her. The masochism is there after prison but the unmovable certainty comes from her excess of ego and was there before. And she's not changing her mind. She's not going to be changing her mind. Even if I think, really, she's wrong, because the mind playing tricks on itself is never a proof of how things could have turned out. But of course I am going with the dream interpretation. It could mean different things if the story was an exploration of another what if, the reversal of the one in The Queen.

There's such a sense of inevitability or inescapability (is that a word?) to this double universe you've created. Like they're doomed. It's sad. Especially for Spencer.
moonstruckgirl15 chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
cmart91 chapter 1 . 8/26/2013
Wow... That was really just heartbreaking. I felt my heart sink for Spencer and this AU. Damn you are good, really good. I wondered about that dream she had so I'm really glad that you wrote this, it paints a better picture of the aftermath. Loved that Aria was thrown in there. Team Sparia!
Jennabot chapter 1 . 8/23/2013
Ugh. I loved it and hated it at the same time. Hopefully Spencer doesn't dwell on too many what ifs for it can swallow her whole.
Space chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
Wow! Love this twist! Update soon!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
getlostandruncic chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
You wrote The Queen at Ninoy Aquino's death anniv? That's surreal, I think. If I could progress reading The Queen from start to the latest, I'd say I'd pick this world where Paige ended up in prison and what is happening in Spencer with Emily in your foremost story would kind of happen to Paige and Emily too. I'm not really super in-the-know about the details that puts forth in The Queen but I has this inkling that Emily would eventually choose Spencer more than Paige. And I couldn't handle that, most of the time. I appreciate your story as not burgeoning on a black and/or white partaking but more so presenting such intricacy between Spencer, Paige and Emily in layered stream of reality. And this writing of yours was the reason I somehow interests me to read most parts of the chapters even though I obviously feel for Paige, as always. But carry on with your writing, Charli. I guess I'll just have to stay tuned with how you'll wrap this story up (how many chapters would The Queen will go further?).

-Cici / elunica-calemi on tumblr
P.S. I'd love to pm you this reviw but I can't log-in to my acct. as of the moment.
tenseforspence chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
That's not cool ;( I almost cried. Seriously, this is sad. :( You're an awesome writer and your stories are so great but so depressing. :(
CallistosDarkSide chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
Awesome angst as always! It's sad that Spencer is still unhappy even when she gets what she wants (Emily) in dream world. I like how Spencer is trying to justify letting herself go to prison by imagining what would have happened had she not gone. I.e. No Teddy and Paige going to prison in her place. So glad you wrote this piece. Can't wait for you to update The Queen Has Been Overthrown! Keep up the great writing.
Breyanaxo chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
Don't take this the wrong way, because it's actually a compliment. I always feel depressed while reading The Queen Has Been Overthrown and this story is no different. You are a heck of a writer so I always feel like I'm Spencer during her dark moments. This was great. I hope you have a new chapter in the works for TQHBO.

P.S. I just realized the titles are from Ellie Goulding's song "Lights". I listen to that song daily and I'm just now realizing this.
antodiz24 chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
Wau very very good
magnifica sorprendente sigue por favor

speak spanish?
oftherose13 chapter 1 . 8/22/2013
Holy crap that was good
What ifs are amazing !
Great job
Made me want to cry for poor spencer she keeps getting the shit end no matter what but she's growing
Whoop whoop