Reviews for Petals on a Wet, Black Bough
Bookworm813 chapter 1 . 6/17
Oh my god that was insanely impressive. It definitely felt uncomfortable at times, but not in a bad way. It wouldn't have been nearly as good if it HAD been comfortable, so it fit really well. Idk if this is making any sense, so sorry, but this was an amazing read. I know what it feels like to be in Alfred's sort of situation, not with the drugs and stuff but having this image of a person (normally a person a few years older) built up, and just wanting so badly to impress them that you would do absolutely anything, and then growing up realizing that they aren't that picture in your head. I really felt that again reading this, and it made me cry. You are an amazingly talented author
espaina chapter 1 . 10/24/2014
This story seriously took a toll on my emotions. Wow. Really good. I love it.
hexa chapter 1 . 12/29/2013
Ive never been so speechless reading usuk before, perhaps its uniqueness and originality. As for concept, I didn't get quite comfortable but the pace was just right, it wasn't fast or too slow- very realistic in terms of the character relationships not just the main character but side characters too. Really wow :0
USUK chapter 1 . 12/19/2013
it's different but i didn't really like it. sorry.
Kunoichi-Shea chapter 1 . 9/1/2013
This was really interesting to say the least, not what I was expecting when I started reading that's for sure! Very well done though, it's something different which is nice. So I was wondering is Arthur suffering from schizophrenia? That was what it reminded me of anyway. Though it could have been schizoaffective disorder too, maybe. I liked how you wrote both Arthur and Alfred, it was different from what I'm use to reading but I really enjoyed it! Great story!
the-confused-artist chapter 1 . 8/30/2013
That was beautiful. I'm not very good with explaining things, but I'm really happy I read this.
I'm glad it wasn't just some cutesy thing, and it went so much deeper... Just- ugh. I loved it. Great work.
Iggycat chapter 1 . 8/28/2013
You know to be honest when I requested USUK with the two of them meeting on the train I expected the usual cutsey fic with college student Alfred meeting a young businessman Arthur. Or if not that, two old friends meeting again, or a love at first sight type of thing. And while I did eventually get college student Alfred meeting Arthur on the train, it was not what I expected and certainly one of the most original versions of the prompt I've seen. To be honest I was confused when you started out with just a 13 year old Alfred; it was a complete aberration from what I'm used to and I had no idea where you'd go with it. But a change isn't bad at all, and you very skillfully turned the cliched theme I gave you into something very unique. I'd never really seen hipster Arthur before and that was an interesting take on his character. Unstable Arthur is less of a rarity but you presented it so well, the way you have him put up a front and seem stronger and more in control than he really is.

Anyway really great, unique take on their relationship. I feel like I'm trying to sound more intelligent than I really am in this review, but all in all I really enjoyed how different your grasp of Alfred and Arthur's relationship is from other authors' including myself. Thanks for such long, lovely story.
wolfbecca chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
Congrats. I now ship UsUk. You are fucking epically amazing.
Irate Italian chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
I can't say begin to everything I felt about this fic, it was beautiful and written so well. The characters are so amazing and I particularly love how Arthur is portrayed and seen by Alfred. This is so sweet and this review doesn't do it justice but I wanted to give some feedback anyway. I actually looked up the drug Alfred sees in Arthur's room 'Carbamazepine' and the results came up as a treatment for bipolar disorder amongst other illnesses but this seemed the most likely and I just wondered if that was what was wrong with Arthur?
Awesome story again. :)
Gooey Witch chapter 1 . 8/26/2013
I honestly thought this would have a terribly angsty ending but I was pleasantly incorrect. This is wonderfully written and I really like how it kind of focused on the little things (or at least I feel like it did). I'll definitely add this to my fic rec.
unblemishedworld chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
(Originally, I wanted to send you this on your tumblr, but the character limit when it comes to messages was a tad annoying, and I didn't want to bother you with too many messages.)
I've actually never really been one who reviews (or at least it normally takes me months till I manage to get back to a fanfiction I've read and loved), especially since I usually only read fanfictions while I'm on my phone. Today I decided to look through and stumbled upon this one.

To say that it's a lovely fanfiction would be a complete degradation, to say it's a perfect one wouldn't be enough.

I don't believe that I've ever been this captivated by a fanfiction, although I've read at least more than 50% of
all US/UK based fanfiction on this site. (It's a terrible habit of mine to get lost in fiction.) I love the way you write, the way you chose each word carefully in order to build their characters without taking away too much of their original personalities. Each bit of interaction - whether it was between Alfred and Arthur, or Alfred and Matthew or Arthur and his friends at the beginning of this story - made perfectly 'sense'; it just fit. Inside of my mind I was able to clearly picture everything and I felt as if your sentences have sucked me into the same world as our beloved fictional individuals. I felt invinsible, like a ghost silently walking along Alfred and watching him live his life.

Sometimes fanfictions tend to end abruptly, or end up leaving the reader unsatisfied. While I'd love to read more about Alfred and Arthur written by you, I'd like to say that this story in itself feels like it had everything it needed. Especially since the ending didn't feel rushed or..unnatural, so to say.

All in all, I just wanted to thank you for sharing this wonderful work of fiction with us and I'm sure that Iggycat appreciats this marvellous work. (I'm sorry for rambling.)
captured ghosts chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
okay, so i usually don't review, but this story is just really…wow
like i couldn't not review

i started reading this around 1am in the morning and finished around 2:30 and i woke up still thinking about this fic
everything about it is wonderful, from your prose to your immature characters and everything else in between
you have a way with words and description, and oh, your description really is fantastic. it was like i was actually there with the cast, breathing in the chilly london air and watching alfred hopelessly try to fit in with arthur's friends. speaking of, francis, chiara and anna and everybody else omg they were so great and i really want to know what happened to them but i guess it's up to the reader's interpretation? ? i usually don't care for background/side characters, but i found myself liking and caring for them.

what i really want to talk about is arthur and alfred!
i love what you did with arthur, this strange boy with a penchant for lying and running away. i really, /really/ want to know his background and his inner thoughts and i want to unravel his character and peel back the layers until i find what makes him tick. (on a side note, would you ever consider making a separate background story for arthur?)
and alfred is just. omg he's so sweet and i loved how, at first, he saw arthur as this mystical, ethereal being but as the story progressed, his romantic visions of arthur lessened and he was left staring at the reality - who he still loves anyway.

their relationship is so messy and heartbreaking, but there's this fragile hopefulness too and in the end i just really want them to be happy
and with that ending, i think they have a good chance at happiness. maybe.

this fic has a lot of holes and empty spaces, but strangely enough, it works out? ? ?
it works for this fic's favour, not against it

omg im so sorry I'm not even gonna read over the fangirly gush of words i just wrote gggg
tl;dr - this fic is the greatest and so are you.
meltingholidays chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
this fic hit home
it hit home hard
blulious chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
This story was such a gem! There were a few them when I had an out-of-body experience and felt myself literally being in Alfred's shoes when he felt alienated at the party. I also felt a there was something magical about Arthur even though, technically, there wasn't, which made it very cool.

I also want to praise you for making the usual Hetalia characters (i.e. Spain, France...etc) feel like threaten characters to Alfred who had not met them. I swear, I thought Antonio was a bit scary until Francis introduced them.

Overall, this fic was a great read and I look forward to your future works!
xBluieLovex chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
Oh my god that was just so heart wrenching and adorable and everything! I just love the way you wrotet this. It is absolutely with out a doubt amazing. I'm not confused and the slightest of what's goin on with Arthur. But hell I love it. I love the way you portrayed them throughout the story. Just amazing.