Reviews for Downfall
Photogirl1890 chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
Somehow I feel bad enjoying all the humour in this, which is, at heart, a downright angsty story. But I couldn't help but smile at:
"Saurian brandy should be drunk, not snorted up one's nose."
Seska's "chronic condition", ""Chakotay. Pilot? Don't make me laugh.", Alderaan(!), "bad form to wear vomit to a job interview."

And then "oblivions per glass": cost v effect, "No price he could pay will ever be high enough." biblical Spanish and the non-graphic but pretty obvious accident scene, Tom's optimism at the prospect of flying again when we know it isn't going to last, the angry Chakotay that the writers should have kept after "Caretaker". I am very glad you got this prompt and this came out of it.
Unmistakeable, very substantial Alpha Flyer.
Delwin chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
Oh wow! So many things about this piece to love: the grit and the angst, the flashes of dark humor ("Saurian brandy comes out at one-point-eight oblivions per glass ahead of anything else he's tried"), the attention to detail with Caldik Prime, the fact that Seeska(!) literally pulls Tom out of a gutter...

And that last line, so gut-wrenchingly ambivalent with Auckland and "Grace" on the horizon...

Perfect.
antra chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
As far as I always understood it, all Star Trek books are not considered canon, (Memory Alpha vs. Memory Beta) so I don't have a problem with that.
Great story, and great to see you play in the Voyager Fandom again
PinkAngel17 chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
Wow. I could totally see that being how it played out. So very much Tom like and very much Maquis Chakotay like too I think. I loved it! It also makes me extremely glad to know others don't consider Jeri Taylor's books as canon either.
CrlkSeasons chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
"Tom's reference to "those three dead officers" in Caretaker doesn't really jive with the victims of the accident being his two best friends and his fiancée." That's an interesting point. I hadn't thought about it before. It is rather detached terminology to use if these were really the very close friends written about in Jeri Taylor's version of events.
"I got them mixed up .. due to fatigue and inattentiveness." Now that fits perfectly with how I imagined it could have happened.
"... because of your decision to come forward voluntarily, I am authorized to offer you the opportunity to resign from Starfleet, rather than be discharged dishonourably." I so love it when stories tie back in and explain discrepancies or puzzling points in the series.
And " ... the smells and the stuff that practically cements your feet to the floor ... his already filthy shirt covered in blood ..." Gritty, angsty, everything I could wish for in a Caldik Prime/Caldik Prime aftermath story.
Vestal Virgin chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
Wonderfully written!
angelscatie chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
Great beginning. ... story. .. chapter. Keep up the good work. Could you update Proof of Life soon?
22 | « Prev Page 1 2